Lucia, Lucya, Louseeya? Oh boy.

I’m just kidding about Louseeya.

But really, as I understand it the name [name]Lucia[/name] is pronounced like Lusha. For a while when I was younger I thought it was [name]Lou[/name]-see-ah, and I loved that! I don’t know how it would be spelled though as to not be mispronounced as [name]Lucia[/name]. Lucea? Lusea? [name]Lucya[/name]? Nothing really works. Any ideas?

[name]Lucia[/name] has several pronunciations, LOO-sha being the one that has the most American feel to it…
Personally I prefer loo-SEE-uh like you, but there’s also the Italian loo-CHEE-uh pronunciation…
I wouldn’t change the spelling, just be very clear on what her name is to her closest and she’ll be more than fine! I don’t know which spelling would make it easier either (Lusia maybe, but that’s not too pretty), so I’d just leave it as is… Odds are she’ll love her name and be hard on people for mispronouncing it herself, or shorten it to [name]Lucy[/name] to make it easier for people, or if she’s not too happy about her name… I have a name I hate, but it’s not hard to live with ^^
I think when you have such a down to earth nickname as [name]Lucy[/name] to fall back on, pronunciation issues will be less of a bother… :slight_smile:

Best of [name]Luck[/name]!

It can be pn in all those ways. Personally, I don’t like Loo- sha but I love the Loo- see- ah pn and the [name]Lu[/name]- che- ah pn too.
I was told, by a friend who is married to an Italian guy that [name]Lucia[/name] would be pn Loo- see- ah in [name]Italy[/name]. Is there anyone Italian on here who can confirm this?

I’m half-Italian and to my knowledge would definitely be loo-chee-ya. C followed by I in Italian is always pronounced chee as far as I know.

Ditto this! :slight_smile: I’m 1/2 Italian as well. My grandma says things this way.

[name]Lucia[/name] - I have always pn’d it Loo-see-ya.

The pronunciations get very confusing! As far as I know, there are three correct ways to say [name]Lucia[/name]: the Spanish loo-see-ah, the Italian loo-chee-ah and the English loo-sha. It’s a beautiful name, anyway.

My sister’s name is [name]Lucia[/name], and we pronounce it like you do (lu-SEE-a). She doesn’t get much trouble with pronunciation, and it’s not that hard to correct people. I think it’s a really nice name!

I know a [name]Lucia[/name] (LOO-sha), but I really love loo-see-uh! :slight_smile:

I think it’s a beautiful name, and I love [name]Lucy[/name], too!

Good luck! :slight_smile:

Ditto this! :slight_smile: I’m 1/2 Italian as well. My grandma says things this way.[/quote]

I’m 1/2 Italian and my younger sister’s name is [name]Lucia[/name]! It’s always pronounced loo-CHEE-ah in [name]Italy[/name]. I know many other [name]Lucia[/name]'s in [name]Italy[/name] and none of them pronounce it Loo-sha or lu-see-ah. I think lu-see-ah is the Hispanic pronounciation (I think, because my sister often gets mistaken for loo-see-ah by Hispanics.)