Lucy - better as full name or nn?

[name]Do[/name] [name]Lucia[/name], [name]Luciana[/name] or even [name]Luciella[/name] have the quirky, spunky yet sweet image that [name]Lucy[/name] has?
[name]Do[/name] you prefer [name]Lucy[/name] as full name or nn? If you prefer it as nn, which longer names do you like?
Thanks.:slight_smile:

I love [name]Lucia[/name] (Loo-sha) and [name]Lucy[/name] both, though I think of [name]Lucia[/name] as being more pretty than [name]Lucy[/name], which I definitely think of as most spunky of all the names you suggested. I considered both of these names (until we had a boy) and think they are great.

I prefer [name]Lucia[/name] with NN [name]Lucy[/name]. Or even [name]Lucille[/name] NN [name]Lucy[/name] to just [name]Lucy[/name]. It can stand by itself but feels incomplete to me.

I prefer it as a nn for [name]Luciana[/name], or [name]Lucia[/name] (Loo See [name]Ah[/name])

I definitely prefer [name]Lucy[/name] as a nickname, it has never seemed complete as a full name to me and I find it odd when I happen across adults named [name]Lucy[/name] because it seems to childlike.

I like [name]Lucia[/name] [loo-CHEE-ah] as a full version of [name]Lucy[/name] :slight_smile: I also like [name]Lucinda[/name] and [name]Lucille[/name] - though I don’t think these would be your style as they’re more vintage than spunky - and [name]Louisa[/name], though unconventional, could work too.

I don’t really think Lucy, Luciana or Luciella are spunky. Lucia is I guess gets the ‘sweet & spunky’ vibe… I wouldn’t call any of them quirky. Luciella is the most uncommon, but it sounds trendy with the -ella ending.
I think Lucy works just fine on its own, though I am a Lucia (started off as LU-sha, but when I moved to Spain I just gave in and went with lu-THEE-a, but I’m happy with any pronunciation now) and mostly go by Lucy. I like having the option to use either, and Lucia is more international, which I really appreciate.
I like Lucila quite a bit (lu-THEE-la/ lu-SEE-la), and I think Lucina (lu-SEE-na) is gorgeous.

My given name is [name]Lucy[/name], and I think its fine as a full name. I like being “just” [name]Lucy[/name], if you know what I mean.
If I could choose, I’d have it short for [name]Lucia[/name] (Loo-see-ah) or [name]Lucille[/name], but it definitely doesn’t bother me enough to consider changing it.

I prefer [name]Lucia[/name] with the nn [name]Lucy[/name]. I don’t feel like they have the same image, personally, but I think that’s what the full name and nickname are there for. It makes her name more multi-faceted.

[name]Lucy[/name], to me, is like [name]Lily[/name]–I think it’s completely usable by itself and I would do so if it was a MN, but for me, as a FN, I need a longer name. [name]Lucia[/name] is my favorite, but I also like [name]Luciana[/name] and [name]Louisa[/name]. There’s also [name]Lucille[/name], [name]Lucinda[/name], [name]Lucette[/name], etc., but those don’t really appeal to me… just figured I would list them in case you’re looking for more options. :slight_smile:

I don’t like [name]Lucy[/name] on her own, no. Mostly because she’s as popular as she is, but also because she’s just a little too cute and because there are so many options to choose from for a long version.
[name]Lucia[/name] is my favourite way, but I like [name]Lucasta[/name], [name]Lucerne[/name], [name]Lucetta[/name], [name]Lucida[/name], [name]Lucina[/name], [name]Lucienne[/name], [name]Lucine[/name], Lucinia, Luciola and [name]Lucrezia[/name] + [name]Louisa[/name]

[name]Lucia[/name] is my favorite, as well, and I think it is spunky and sweet, but not really quirky, but [name]Lucy[/name] gives her the quirkyness.

I prefer [name]Lucy[/name] on its own. The longer versions just don’t hold the same feeling for me as [name]Lucy[/name]. I think of [name]Lucy[/name] Honeychurch from the [name]EM[/name] [name]Forster[/name] novel, “A Room with a View.” She’s one of my fav literary characters! Her pretentious cousin sometimes calls her [name]Lucia[/name] (loo-CHEE-ah), which I also kind of like, but I prefer just [name]Lucy[/name]. I actually dislike [name]Lucinda[/name] and [name]Lucille[/name]. They feel like old ladies to me still.

We have a [name]Lucy[/name] and it fits her perfectly. Never considered a longer version. But we’re also not nickname people. I did a poll a while back asking people who had classic nicknames as to what name they go by into their adulthood. An overwhelming majority said they continued to go by their nicknames. The given name on the birth certificate was just so foreign to them after being called something for 20+ years. Not true for everyone, but found it true for most. While I know many nameberry fans love a fuller name, I find that if most people continue with the nickname into adulthood, then what’s the point of a fuller name that only lives on a birth certificate? Go with the name you love and if you want her to eventually be a [name]Lucia[/name] or [name]Lucille[/name], then would probably try to call her by those names growing up, too… Along with [name]Lucy[/name]. So she’s used to the other name, too. Otherwise, would say to just give her the name [name]Lucy[/name]. From our experience, when you get a little outside of the nameberry community, everyone we meet absolutely loves this name and has no problem with it standing alone as a full name. Good luck!

Thank you so much. This helped me a lot! :slight_smile: