Lucy

We really like the name [name]Lucy[/name] but we are worried that it may be too frequently used as a dog’s name. Is that crazy? According to a website, it is one of the top 10 dog names used in the US. Any thoughts on this?

We have friends with a 4 year old named [name]Lucy[/name] and she just recently shared with me that her only frustration with the name is how often people will say to her that [name]Lucy[/name] is their dog’s name. But, hopefully with [name]Lucy[/name] climbing the popularity chart more people will know people named [name]Lucy[/name] than dogs.

I don’t know any dogs called [name]Lucy[/name], but I do know a few people with that name!
If you’re really worried then you could give her a longer name with the nickname [name]Lucy[/name] ([name]Lucille[/name], [name]Lucienne[/name], [name]Lucinda[/name]). Then she can choose not to use [name]Lucy[/name] if it really bother her.

Good luck!

Wow, I would’ve never thought about that!

Anyways, [name]Lucy[/name] is pretty established in the U. S., I’d say, and has many associations. [name]Lucy[/name] is pretty and dainty, so I really don’t think that you’d have much trouble with it in general. If, however, you decide to use [name]Lucy[/name] instead as a nn, I would suggest [name]Lucinda[/name]. I think it’s beautiful, powerful and has an almost Gothic streak. (;

Overall, though, I wouldn’t worry. [name]Lucy[/name] is sweet; it’ll do fine, methinks. You could also slide her into the mn slot, though, if you find it too worrying. ^^

Wishing you the best of luck!

We found out we’re having a boy, but if it was a girl, we were choosing between [name]Lucy[/name] and [name]Clementine[/name]. [name]Lucy[/name] seems like the perfect girl name! If somebody wants to be rude and say your daughter’s name is their dog’s name, then maybe they shouldn’t be using a well established human name for their pet. If you feel snarky enough to use that comeback! Good luck.

That’s ridiculous. [name]Lucy[/name] is a person’s name, obviously. There was a blog or study I read about how more and more dogs are getting people names. So no matter what you name your kid, it’s probably SOMEONE’S pet. I mean, my dog is [name]Olive[/name] (after the well-known children’s book) but I don’t think it’s a “dog’s name.” I know dogs named [name]Bella[/name], [name]Sadie[/name], [name]Lilly[/name], [name]Annie[/name], and yes, [name]Phoebe[/name]. [name]Don[/name]'t worry about it!

At the end of the day, people select pet names because they love those particular names.

My dog is named [name]Emmaline[/name]! If I met a little girl named that I would think, hey that’s my dog’s name, but also think, I love that name! [name]How[/name] cute on a little girl!

Name her [name]Lucy[/name] if you like it and disregard the potential pet association. As was just said, every name in the world probably belongs to someone’s pet as well.

While I know a lot of dogs named [name]Lucy[/name], it wouldn’t keep me from using a name that I LOVED. That being said, [name]Molly[/name] was a name we liked but took off the list after hearing about all the dogs named [name]Molly[/name]…BUT if we had loved the name enough, it wouldn’t have mattered to me.

I don’t associate [name]Lucy[/name] with a dog’s name but with bossy [name]Lucy[/name] on [name]Charlie[/name] [name]Brown[/name]. Oh, everyone has some weird association with most names, I guess. It shouldn’t stop you from naming your daughter a name you love. Personally, I like [name]Lucia[/name] much better and it has three possible pronunciations (Spanish loo-SEE-ah, Italian loo-CHEE-ah and LOOSHA like St [name]Lucia[/name] the island). Good luck.

This is something I’ve worried about a bit. More and more top dog names are people names, and I wondered what the complications of that are. You aren’t alone because [name]Max[/name], [name]Molly[/name], [name]Chloe[/name], [name]Gracie[/name], [name]Jake[/name], [name]Harley[/name], [name]Daisy[/name], [name]Jack[/name], [name]Bella[/name], [name]Emma[/name], and – even [name]Sophie[/name] – are all hugely popular pet names! Yet people don’t want to let all these darling names – and many others – just go to the dog! Then there is the new trend to using unusual names for kids, the sort of names that were once reserved for dogs – [name]Fifi[/name] Trixiebelle (Geldof), [name]Hunter[/name], [name]Pilot[/name].

So here’s what I to do: As someone who, in my own life, names dogs not babies, I have taken to checking with extended family before I claim a name for a dog. I figure human children take precedence.

Other than that, I figure a name is fair game for either side. If someone wants to name their daughter [name]Bella[/name], I wouldn’t dream of saying, “But that’s a dog’s name!” Although I do know a canine [name]Bella[/name] and I think it is currently #1 for girl dogs.

If want to use [name]Lucy[/name], use it. Anyone who says anything about it being a dogs’ name is being rude. Respond appropriately, keeping in mind that even Miss Manners said there is no reason to be polite or clever to such people.

My name isn’t [name]Lucy[/name], but an extremely common response when I tell people my name is some permutation of “oh, I had a cat with that name!” Or their friend’s cat, or they met a dog named that (there’s one on my parents’ street right now), whatever.

I don’t care at all, it doesn’t bother me in the least. Probably because I’ve always given my pets people names, not stuff like Mr. Fluffypants, so if something is a name commonly given to pets I’m not bothered by it.

I had no idea [name]Lucy[/name] was a popular dog name. I say use it anyway, it is too lovely a name to let go!

I have never met a dog named [name]Lucy[/name] but I do know many cute little girls named [name]Lucy[/name].

I know several people whose dog is named [name]Maggie[/name], which is my name. But they probably chose that name because they loved it, just like my parents did. If someone says their dog’s name is [name]Lucy[/name], you could take it as a compliment…!

I don’t think you should discount the 4 year old’s comments that the first poster mentioned. I actually know 3 dogs named [name]Lucy[/name]!

Use [name]Lucille[/name] instead. That way, you can use the nickname [name]Lucy[/name], but your daughter will have an option to call herself [name]Lucille[/name] during those insecure years when any slight is exxagerated.