Luna = Lunatic?

I personally love [name_f]Luna[/name_f] and considered it for a short time for my daughter. I decided against it because of it’s growing popularity. However, during the short time I was considering it my mother begged me not to use it because she said it reminded her of the word lunatic and a little [name_f]Luna[/name_f] would be pegged with that nickname. I have since heard that same thought from a couple of other people as well. Does anyone else think a little [name_f]Luna[/name_f] would inevitably be called lunatic?

No. I love [name_f]Luna[/name_f]. It sounds romantic and dreamy. I think the association is more generational–from the time when there were lunatic asylums and the moon was thought to affect people’s mental states. I think we’re well past that now.

It’s because of [name_f]Luna[/name_f]'s growing popularity that I don’t think [name_f]Luna[/name_f]/lunatic will be an issue. Honestly, a kid can be teased for anything. You could scour every name list in existence for a name that is 100% tease-proof only to have your kid get teased for having big ears or a lisp. I don’t worry about teasing potential unless it’s something like [name_m]Gaylord[/name_m] or [name_f]Dorcas[/name_f], and I don’t think anyone else should worry about teasing either.

Hahaha this is hilarious because I always joke with my best friend [name_f]Katie[/name_f] whose favourite name is [name_f]Luna[/name_f] her child will be referred to as Lunatic in the playground. This question automatically made me think of her. Saying that I do love [name_f]Luna[/name_f], and I think as she becomes popular the lunatic association will be dropped.

[name_f]Luna[/name_f] Lovegood in [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] is cruelly nicknamed “Loony [name_f]Luna[/name_f]”. But to be fair, she is a little odd…

The first two syllables are exactly the same in [name_f]Luna[/name_f] and lunatic, so it only stands to reason that some people will make the connection. Still, [name_f]Luna[/name_f] is a beautiful name, and common enough that people are familiar with it. Kids will make a cruel nickname out of anything if they are intent on teasing.

It’s a generational thing. I wouldn’t worry. My friends say [name_f]Luna[/name_f] is a cool name, while my parents say she will be called Looney or Lunatic.

[name_f]Luna[/name_f] is one of my nicknames and I really in love with it. I got all compliments. Teasing about lunatic, yes (very rarely). But definitely not insulting, so I don’t even take it personally. I got tuna too, btw. But then again, no name is 100% tease-proof. So if you love [name_f]Luna[/name_f], use it. [name_f]Luna[/name_f] is a very pretty name (and romantic, and dreamy, and cute, and on and on…)

Mmm In NZ the kid would be picked on…Maybe your country is kinder! Yes Loony [name_f]Luna[/name_f] definitely-[name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] is going to be around for years to come. If you have a [name_f]Luna[/name_f] here-best she has thick skin.