Luna or something else?

Siblings are [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] [name_f]Coraline[/name_f] (7), [name_m]Martin[/name_m] [name_m]Jake[/name_m] (4), and [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] [name_m]Truman[/name_m] (2).

I thought we we were fairly settled on [name_f]Luna[/name_f] if this baby is a girl, but we’re wavering a bit now based on how quickly she climbed the charts. Popularity itself is not the main concern, but rather a super trendy feel. You may laugh since my first is named [name_f]Ivy[/name_f], but I named her several months before [name_u]Blue[/name_u] [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] made her debut and the name jumped a hundred points in a year. Ha! Still, she’s stayed outside the top 100, so never got as popular as online chatter seemed to indicate. With our boys we went with classic, easy to spell, but somewhat underused.

So! Are you running into lots of Lunas on the playground? Does it retain a quirky vintage vibe? Is it going to rise and tank quickly? Other suggestions?

This is the rest of our list, which mostly feels stale as it’s been around since kid #2.

[name_f]Cassia[/name_f]
[name_f]Clio[/name_f]
[name_f]Eliza[/name_f]
[name_f]Ramona[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosa[/name_f]
[name_f]Vera[/name_f]

I [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] [name_f]Luna[/name_f], and it’s absolutely perfect with your other childrens’ names.

My second favourite from your list is [name_f]Ramona[/name_f], which totally has the quirky, vintage vibe you mentioned. I also like that [name_f]Ramona[/name_f] would break away from your 2-syllable first-name theme (not that it’s a bad thing, your childrens’ names are stunning together).

You’ve got a great list! You really can’t go wrong.

Oh, btw, I’ve never come across a child named [name_f]Luna[/name_f] yet, and I’m a kindergarten teacher.

I would steer away from [name_f]Luna[/name_f] unless it’s a natural nickname or as a middle that is used as a nn. It’s an “of the moment” name imo - and where I live one that is very popular among pets. I don’t think it has the staying power as your other kids’ names nor is it as good for all ages and contexts of life.

I would go for one of your others. I personally really like [name_f]Ramona[/name_f] “[name_u]Romy[/name_u]” or [name_f]Vera[/name_f] but [name_f]Cassia[/name_f] might round off the group and bring in [name_m]Martin[/name_m] closer to [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] and [name_m]Oscar[/name_m].

Other possibilities:

[name_f]Rosalie[/name_f]
[name_f]Verity[/name_f]
[name_f]Bronte[/name_f] (prob my fave with your set)
[name_f]Naomi[/name_f]
[name_f]Faye[/name_f]
[name_m]Zo[/name_m]ë
[name_f]Aurelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Harriet[/name_f]
[name_f]Laurel[/name_f]
[name_f]Elise[/name_f] (really like this too!)
[name_f]Zara[/name_f]

Yes, it’s a name that’s been on the list for a girl since my almost 5 year old. We didn’t realize how suddenly [name_f]Luna[/name_f] had exploded until after I’d already given my husband the stamp of approval. I think I’m also having trouble because the name I really love is [name_f]Thea[/name_f]. I know it has some of the same potential issues as [name_f]Luna[/name_f], but I love it more so it’s easier to forgive. It’s what we had set for [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] who, according to the sonogram, was supposed to be a girl. So there’s an element for both my husband and me of feeling like the name is already “used”… since we were calling our son [name_f]Thea[/name_f] for 5 or 10 minutes before I moved the towel and had a small heart attack!

That was supposed to be a reply with an excerpt but I’m failing at getting this board to do what I need it to today!:rolleyes:

I think [name_f]Luna[/name_f] is beautiful with your current style of names. Goes very nicely with big siblings!

I V Y, M A R T I N, O S C A R & L U N A

Sound-wise, I think [name_f]Luna[/name_f] works beautifully with your sibset, so if you love it you should use it. That said, I am not sure it is quite as timeless. I really love [name_f]Thea[/name_f] and [name_f]Vera[/name_f] for you.

[name_f]Thea[/name_f] would be a great name! I also think [name_f]Luna[/name_f] works well with the sibset. Personally I have heard [name_f]Luna[/name_f] more for pets than I have on children (though I have met one or two little human [name_f]Luna[/name_f]'s).

[name_f]Luna[/name_f] is gorgeous but does feel trendy.

I like [name_f]Clio[/name_f] and [name_f]Vera[/name_f] with your other kids (whose names I love, btw!)

I’d use [name_f]Clio[/name_f] in a heartbeat and my husband does seem to like it, but… I’m mildly concerned that a Kardashian is going to end up using it and spelling it [name_f]Klio[/name_f].

Haha! We could see a [name_f]Klio[/name_f] Kardash kids’ filler line very soon. I like [name_f]Clio[/name_f] too but think the spelling - even if traditional - puts me off. Could joke about why in person. I’d use [name_f]Cleo[/name_f] but then prob wonder if original better. But anyway, I think [name_f]Thea[/name_f] is gorgeous and has more heft than [name_f]Luna[/name_f]. [name_f]Luna[/name_f] is just too, too cute and it’s lost in the [name_f]Lucy[/name_f], [name_f]Lily[/name_f], [name_f]Lulu[/name_f], [name_f]Lola[/name_f], [name_u]Luca[/name_u] sea.

Hahaha I’ve not thought of [name_f]Clio[/name_f] that way, but now that I have it cannot be unseen.

For everyone one rooting for [name_f]Thea[/name_f], I know. In many ways it is The One, but there is no chance we’ll use it. I don’t want to be insensitive to parents who have experienced loss, because I obviously went home with a baby. But the baby I thought I’d be bringing home, that we’d bonded with as [name_f]Thea[/name_f], ended up having never existed. It was weird, and there was crying and grieving even though I was so incredibly thankful and in love with the little guy who turned out to be in there the whole time.

I don’t find [name_f]Luna[/name_f] overly trendy at all. Have you considered Lua? I think Lua is so beautiful and sounds a bit less… looney than [name_f]Luna[/name_f].

That makes sense after a big shock too. It was [name_f]Thea[/name_f] for that child who wasn’t.

[name_m]Feel[/name_m] like you’ve got the winner in your list anyway, but [name_f]Jane[/name_f], [name_f]Chloe[/name_f], [name_f]Nell[/name_f], [name_f]Romilly[/name_f], [name_f]Tessa[/name_f], [name_f]Flora[/name_f] (but prob not with [name_f]Ivy[/name_f], hey), [name_u]Darcey[/name_u], [name_f]Stella[/name_f], [name_f]Ada[/name_f] or [name_f]Celeste[/name_f] could work. Look foreword to seeing what you end up choosing!

I will definitely be back with the final name! I’m terrible at keeping up with message boards since my second was born, but I’ll definitely post in Announcements at least. :slight_smile:

Personally, I have seen several baby announcements recently for the name [name_f]Luna[/name_f]. I am in Australia and its definitely a very popular and common name here at the moment!
I agree with the above that it does fit your other children’s names fine but I think others on your list fit even better! I like [name_f]Eliza[/name_f], [name_f]Rosa[/name_f], [name_f]Vera[/name_f].

[name_f]Luna[/name_f] is. A lovely name and works very well with siblings.
[name_f]Thea[/name_f] or [name_f]Vera[/name_f] would be perfection and for some reason [name_f]Lydia[/name_f] and [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] both came to mind. Instead of cassia maybe [name_f]Lucia[/name_f].

Also-I’ve seen in several posts lately people bring up pet names BUT in my opinion that isn’t even a factor. People are treating pets more and more like children these days. They are often using baby names they love for their pets. I’ve even seen people post here for names for their pets.
[name_f]Luna[/name_f] is not a pet name. Fido and Spot and sparky are pet names. [name_u]Max[/name_u], [name_u]Sam[/name_u], [name_m]Jack[/name_m], [name_f]Luna[/name_f], [name_f]Bella[/name_f] and any other name used for pets are still people names and I wouldn’t let pet name popularity sway your decision. Otherwise many of the top 500 names will be off limits :wink:

I think [name_f]Luna[/name_f] works with [name_f]Ivy[/name_f], [name_m]Martin[/name_m], & [name_m]Oscar[/name_m]. There is a nice flow to the names since each use a different vowel: [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] (ee), [name_m]Martin[/name_m] (ah), [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] (O), and [name_f]Luna[/name_f] (oo). Both [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] and [name_f]Luna[/name_f] are nature names too, which is nice. [name_f]Clio[/name_f] would be my second choice.

If you love you [name_f]Luna[/name_f], then you’ll probably be happy with it if you decide on it. Personally I wouldn’t use [name_f]Luna[/name_f] because to me it doesn’t work with your sibset well (which is not really a problem, just something I like taking into consideration) since your children seem to have old fashioned, classic names, and [name_f]Luna[/name_f] just feels too trendy and modern to me. I also think that the popularity is just going to continue to go up, I myself know 3 little [name_f]Luna[/name_f]'s (as well as a lot of cats named [name_f]Luna[/name_f]!), so it just depends on how much that bothers you.

I love everyones’ suggestions. My only thought is perhaps the name [name_f]Luanna[/name_f] would work?? Feels classic to me, and so sidesteps the trendy question. Fits with sibling? Plus, you can get the nn [name_f]Luna[/name_f] from it!