Lyra

Is it too tied to His Dark Materials? I don’t mind the books/movies but I’m not a superfan and I wouldn’t want that to be the only thing people think of.
I like the musical and celestial associations with the name and that’s what draws me to it most. I don’t particularly love that it sounds a bit like liar but I think it’s close enough to [name_f]Lila[/name_f], [name_f]Kyla[/name_f], [name_f]Vera[/name_f] etc that that can be overlooked.
What do you think? Any opinions on [name_f]Lyra[/name_f]?

I don’t have that association at all. [name_f]Lyra[/name_f] is stunning!

2 Likes

No, my first thought isn’t His Dark Materials. I love Stelmaria from that series myself, that’s a name very tied to it.
“The musical and celestial associations”. That’s exactly what comes to my mind, too. It’s very light name and full of inner (child-like) joy. I usually pronounce it as [name_u]Lyric[/name_u]. LIR-ah. It’s beautiful :blush:.

1 Like

I don’t know those books / movies, so I don’t have that connection at all. I think [name_f]Lyra[/name_f] is pretty, although I do find the sound a little harsh. I think the musical connection softens it for me.

1 Like

I love the name [name_f]Lyra[/name_f]. I dont think the association would be too strong for the general public, as the movie didn’t experience much success. However, something worth noting is that the BBC released a series on His Dark materials last year, so the name will likely rise in popularity in the UK in the next few years. If you dont live in the UK, this may not be relevant, but if you do it could be a pro (as a more mainstream name, the association might be reduced) or a con (too popular, potentially trendy).

1 Like

I love the name. Would you be pronouncing it [name_u]Lee[/name_u]-ra or Lie-ra?

1 Like

I think most people where I am would automatically say Lie-ra so that’s the pronunciation I would probably use so that she wouldn’t have to keep correcting everyone. I do think [name_u]Lee[/name_u]-ra is pretty too though.

I’m in the US but I have heard of the His Dark Materials series and I was thinking about that too. You’re right that it could potentially make the name much more popular.

[name_f]Lyra[/name_f] is lovely. It feels so mystical and pretty

1 Like

I’ve always wondered why ‘[name_f]Lyra[/name_f]’ isn’t more popular, especially since [name_f]Lila[/name_f], [name_f]Leila[/name_f], [name_f]Layla[/name_f], [name_f]Laura[/name_f], [name_f]Kyra[/name_f], and [name_f]Myra[/name_f] are pretty common.

I think it’s simple, pretty and elegant.

1 Like

I love [name_f]Lyra[/name_f]! I recently added it to my own names list. It is very celestial and i didn’t even know it was related to His Dark Materials. I think it’s a very beautiful, i do pronounce it [name_u]Lee[/name_u]-rah though.

1 Like

I do think of His Dark Materials, but I don’t think that would be the case for everyone. [name_f]Lyra[/name_f]’s a gorgeous choice, and the constellation connection is nice too. [name_m]Even[/name_m] without that she stands alone as a strong, beautiful name.

1 Like

It’s a nice name, and although there is a slight association with His Dark Materials, it sounds classic enough to not be overpowering (and certainly not everyone will have that association, especially years down the road).

1 Like