Mabel & Alice - middle names and imageries

[name_f]Alice[/name_f] [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] & [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] [name_f]Henrietta[/name_f] or [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] & [name_f]Alice[/name_f] [name_f]Henrietta[/name_f]

I’d love to hear your thoughts on which set you prefer and why do you prefer the ones you picked over the others, as well as what imagery each combo gives off individually and what they make you think of in a set :slight_smile:

That’s tough! I think I prefer [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] and [name_f]Alice[/name_f] [name_f]Henrietta[/name_f] but both are lovely

Thank you for weighing in! Any reason why you ultimately chose this pair?

[name_f]Mabel[/name_f] [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] and [name_f]Alice[/name_f] [name_f]Henrietta[/name_f]

I think [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] modernizes [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] just enough to keep it fresh-sounding. [name_f]Alice[/name_f] can withstand the "old lady " feel of [name_f]Henrietta[/name_f] without making the entire name sound like grandma

To me both [name_f]Alice[/name_f] and [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] have a magical, whimsical feel, whilst [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] and [name_f]Henrietta[/name_f] are more fun, sprightly, and energetic. So I’d go [name_f]Alice[/name_f] [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] and [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] [name_f]Henrietta[/name_f].

[name_f]Alice[/name_f] [name_f]Henrietta[/name_f] and [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] :slight_smile:

[name_f]Alice[/name_f] and [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] feel a little more on the old-fashioned side (with [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] being more so the extreme), and [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] and [name_f]Henrietta[/name_f] feel a little more om the vintage side (with [name_f]Henrietta[/name_f] being more so the extreme); in [name_f]Alice[/name_f] [name_f]Henrietta[/name_f] and [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f], both “feels” seem quite balanced out. I don’t know if that makes any sense (sorry if that’s the case) but I do hope this helps.

[name_f]Alice[/name_f] [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] & [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] [name_f]Henrietta[/name_f] would be my pick!

[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] and [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] have a sort of vintage yet modern feel to them, whereas [name_f]Alice[/name_f] and [name_f]Henrietta[/name_f] have a more timeless feel. I like how each combo has a kind of balance to it in this set. [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] [name_f]Henrietta[/name_f] is a mixture of soft and bubbly, but [name_f]Henrietta[/name_f] also gives it a sort of sensible, tough kick. [name_f]Alice[/name_f] is gentle but sturdy and [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] adds something adventurous to it!

I prefer [name_f]Alice[/name_f] [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] & [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] [name_f]Henrietta[/name_f]. To me, [name_f]Alice[/name_f] is more fun loving while [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] is sweet. [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] and [name_f]Henrietta[/name_f] both feel much more serious to me with [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] being slightly harsher with the hard C. I think [name_f]Alice[/name_f]'s playfulness better balances that out than does [name_f]Mabel[/name_f]. That said, I do also like the sound of [name_f]Alice[/name_f] [name_f]Henrietta[/name_f].

Thank you all for commenting, I really appreciate it!
I don’t expect anyone to reply (as it’s been a while - sorry) but I still wanted to comment on your comments :slight_smile:

@jensowvlen - I think I may feel the same, though I don’t necessarily think Henrietta feels very clunky, just with Mabel she feels very Molly Weasley-like, cozy and warm and a little unorganised and like a beautiful mess - which is something I generally like but maybe it’s a little much and not modern enough?!

@myosotis - I do really love Alice Cordelia (it has been on my list for years and years now) but I do love Alice Henrietta, too, they have a very different vibe, though, and I’m not sure which one I prefer. I agree that Alice Cordelia feels whimsical and she makes me think of the North Sea but also of a grand Victorian English manor, both a little cold and distant but also kind and creative. Alice Henrietta makes me think of a friendly Georgian house with a large wildflower meadow as a garden and a fun Mozart tune being played on the piano.

I don’t know, can you see these as each name?
And based on that imagery which do you prefer?

@ceruleanstardust - I totally understand what you mean! I’d love to know what makes the difference between old-fashioned and vintage to you?

@greyblue - interesting that you view Henrietta as more timeless than Cordelia, usually she’s seen as quite clunky so I’m happy to see someone doesn’t view her that way!

@cyoung325 - ahh, Alice is so easy to pair with a middle name, she sounds lovely with so many names but to decide on one is the challenge! The answers seem pretty balanced, too, so I’m still quite stuck and switch between the two every 5 minutes, haha.
For me, Alice is more fun with Henrietta and more sophisticated with Cordelia, I love both! The struggle!

I love all these names!

I like [name_f]Alice[/name_f] [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] a lot. I like the repeated “c” though with the different sounds. [name_f]Alice[/name_f] is short, sweet, sturdy, and old-fashioned, whereas [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] is more elaborate, so I think they make a lovely combination.

I like [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] [name_f]Henrietta[/name_f] too. Very old-fashioned and rollicking. What fun to have as a middle [name_f]Henrietta[/name_f]!

[name_f]Mabel[/name_f] [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] does not flow well in my ears. [name_f]Alice[/name_f] [name_f]Henrietta[/name_f] is OK, but I prefer [name_f]Alice[/name_f] [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] or [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] [name_f]Henrietta[/name_f].

[name_f]Alice[/name_f] [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] makes a fabulous pairing! [name_f]Alice[/name_f] and [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] are both strong and historical names with a sweet storybookish sparkle, and I think [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]'s romantic and whimsical style balances out [name_f]Alice[/name_f]'s simplicity perfectly. Together they make me think of midsummer parties, white dresses, and sparkling elderflower cordial.

I’m not that convinced of [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] [name_f]Henrietta[/name_f], though. I’m not sure you can marry such different feels: [name_f]Mabel[/name_f]'s quaint and sunshiney imagery clashes with [name_f]Henrietta[/name_f]'s darker, more Gothic Victorian feel. That may just be me, but I also think [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] needs a shorter middle name: my favourites are [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] [name_f]Peony[/name_f] and [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f].

@lesliemarion - thank you for commenting, I appreciate it. It’s really fun to see how different these names feel to people and I definitely agree with your view of [name_f]Alice[/name_f] [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]!

@kew - it’s so interesting that you view [name_f]Henrietta[/name_f] a gothic, is there a reason for that or just the vibe you get from it?
My usual [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] combos are [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] [name_f]Augusta[/name_f] [name_f]Florence[/name_f] and [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] [name_f]Augusta[/name_f] [name_f]Blythe[/name_f], not really shorter but [name_f]Augusta[/name_f] isn’t as high up my middle name list as [name_f]Henrietta[/name_f] but [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] is higher than my usual first name for [name_f]Henrietta[/name_f] so I’m trying to decide how to fit her in best. My usual [name_f]Alice[/name_f] combo has been [name_f]Alice[/name_f] [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] [name_f]Mary[/name_f], I still love that one very much, but I also quite like [name_f]Alice[/name_f] [name_f]Henrietta[/name_f] so it’s really [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] who I’m not about…

I can’t quite pinpoint where I get my imagery for [name_f]Henrietta[/name_f] from. The controlled but frilly sound of the ending sound makes the name feel prim and elaborate at the same time (I get the same thing from names like [name_f]Antonetta[/name_f]), and this combines with [name_f]Henrietta[/name_f]'s peak popularity in the Victorian era to make me think of a “darker” [name_f]Victoriana[/name_f] – bustles and hoops, corsets, and Gothic fiction.

I think [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] [name_f]Augusta[/name_f] [name_f]Blythe[/name_f] works really nicely, actually - double middle names balance out the length of [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] well, and [name_f]Blythe[/name_f] complements [name_f]Mabel[/name_f]'s bubbly feel while [name_f]Augusta[/name_f] makes the combo more grounded.

I’ve always loved your [name_f]Alice[/name_f] [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] [name_f]Mary[/name_f], but [name_f]Alice[/name_f] [name_f]Henrietta[/name_f] would actually also work well if you would like a change.

For me, old-fashioned names tend to be more prim and proper, classic and traditional, whereas vintage feels more sweet, homely and softer.