Mabel-- and how tastes change over time

Did anyone here watch the sitcom “Mad About You”-- many moons ago-- with [name_f]Helen[/name_f] [name_m]Hunt[/name_m]? I was about 12 or so when that show ended with the birth of their baby girl, [name_f]Mabel[/name_f], and I thought it was just about the UGLIEST name I had ever heard. I remember scoffing at it!

Fast forward 18 or so years, and [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] is now on the top of my baby name list for my daughter due in [name_f]April[/name_f]. :slight_smile:

Has anyone else had a complete change of heart on a name? Once hated, now beloved, or vice versa?

I used to hate the name [name_f]Mabel[/name_f], but now I see it as a fresh vintage classic. For me though, it’s more cutesy for my taste, so I wouldn’t use, but I’d love to see it being used!

I never watched Mad About You, though. I think you’ve picked out a very fresh, unique, and classic name :smiley:

Thank you! I’m not sure it’s THE name, but it is a top contender! I just find it so funny how I’ve done a COMPLETE 180 on it. From the worst name I’ve ever heard to maybe my first born’s name?! :slight_smile: I’m glad others can relate!

We must be about the same age because I remember thinking the exact same thing! [name_m]Even[/name_m] at that age I was a name snob :slight_smile: I remember it was the first time I had heard the name, so I didn’t realize it had a history of usage. I think it’s lovely now! Actually we would totally consider it for a child if DH’s parents didn’t have a dog by this name. He’s more upset about it than I am; he loves it!

That is so funny! I knew I couldn’t be alone in wondering why they couldn’t have picked a classy name, like my beloved [name_f]Stephanie[/name_f]?! :wink: