Mad Maxine

We’re expecting our first child in a couple of months, and can’t find a name that sounds good to us. I want something different, but not something that she will hate us for in 18 years. We’ve nicknamed her “Mad [name]Maxine[/name]”, after her Dad, whose nickname is “Mad [name]Max[/name]”, after the [name]Mel[/name] [name]Gibson[/name] movie. At first I just thought it was funny, but now we’ve been calling her [name]Maxine[/name] for so long, I’m afraid another name will seem strange. But the catch is, I don’t live in Europe or even in a big city in the U.S. - I live in a small town in central Illinois - where the only [name]Maxine[/name] is 90 years old. Should we go with it anyway? Or possibly use it as a middle name? - but I still can’t think of another first name I like. And if we do go with [name]Maxine[/name], what middle would go with it? Please help me and many thanks in advance!!!

Is her dad’s name actually [name]Max[/name]? Or is Mad [name]Max[/name] just his nn? Either way I think [name]Maxine[/name] would make a nice middle name as a tribute to him but I don’t love [name]Maxine[/name] as a first name. [name]Do[/name] you have any other names in mind for the first place? Or can you give me an indication of your naming style (classic, vintage, modern, exotic etc) so I can make some suggestions? Or perhaps some names that you like but wouldn’t use for whatever reason to give me an idea of your style! [name]Don[/name]'t want to throw random names at you :slight_smile:

If you love it, you should use it. The fact that it’s an unusual choice for a little girl just makes it interesting. I’m sorry I can’t offer any help with middle name ideas; I find two syllable names with the accent on the second syllable difficult to pair with a middle. It’ll be interesting to see what others come up with.

I know a 16 year old [name]Maxine[/name], so it doesn’t feel dated to me. As far as I know, she likes her name.

[name]Maxine[/name] [name]Juliet[/name]
[name]Maxine[/name] [name]Helena[/name]
[name]Maxine[/name] [name]Rosalia[/name]
[name]Maxine[/name] [name]Penelope[/name]
[name]Maxine[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name]
[name]Maxine[/name] [name]Fiona[/name]
[name]Maxine[/name] [name]Amelia[/name]
[name]Maxine[/name] [name]Francesca[/name]

Theres a [name]Maxine[/name] in my class (14 years old) so I don’t find it dated either. But I find the nickname [name]Max[/name] really masculine and don’t really like it. She also gets called “[name]Maxi[/name]-pad” quite often.
I think it would work well as a middle name or even as a first name, as long as your not too worried about potential teasing.

I really like [name]Maxine[/name], but agree with the comment about possible teasing for [name]Maxi[/name]-pad. I also really like [name]Roxanne[/name]/[name]Roxana[/name] with the nickname [name]Roxie[/name] as well as [name]Beatrix[/name] with the nn [name]Trixie[/name]. They have sort of the same feel. [name]Maggie[/name], nn [name]Mags[/name] would also be cute. I too am looking at different girls names that are not too far out there. I think we are going with [name]Elin[/name].
[name]Taryn[/name] [name]Maxine[/name] would be cute and different!

I’d like to know a little more. You can’t find ANY other name that you like? Not even a little bit? And do you actually like [name]Maxine[/name], or have you just gotten used to it?

It can be really difficult to imagine that rolling, kicking mound of your belly becoming a real live person…sometimes until she is actually in your arms. So a nickname like Peanut or Big Boy or, yes, even [name]Maxine[/name] can feel as if it’s become their one and only true name, until they are born and you realize they deserve something more serious.

This is not a vote against [name]Maxine[/name] so much as a vote for further thought and exploration.

I agree with [name]Pam[/name] - do you really love [name]Maxine[/name], or is it just something you’ve gotten used to calling your daughter?

On the subject of [name]Maxine[/name], I don’t actually know one, but I do know a girl named [name]Maxie[/name] - just [name]Maxie[/name]. In fact, I had a class with her last year and the professor called on her and asked her what her name was. When she said, “It’s [name]Maxie[/name],” my professor responded with, “[name]Maxie[/name]? Short for [name]Maxine[/name]?” The girl said, “Nope, just [name]Maxie[/name].” I think she was named after a relative, probably a [name]Maxwell[/name] or something. Anyway, I think the name has teasing potential, as others have said, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t use it, I don’t think. The real question her is - do you love it? It could always be a middle name, though…

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

Thank you very much everyone for your input. I really appreciate it! You have given me much to ponder. And no, NOTHING sounds good to me! I was thinking [name]Calla[/name] [name]Emeline[/name] at one point, but now have nixed it because I decided it didn’t go well with our last name. The search goes on!