Made up names?

I’ve been hearing a lot of names I consider “made up” recently (others may call them “original”) [name]How[/name] do you feel about these original, “made up” names??? What kinds of names have you been hearing recently?

A few I’ve heard:

• [name]Nevaeh[/name] (ok so this one is becoming better known now and I actually know quite a few little Naveah’s! it’s still just a crazy made-up name to me)

• Aubrielle (has potential, but kind of a mouthful to me)

• Leylianette

• Actually encountered a little girl recently whose name is her parents’ names with “and” in the middle…spelled backwards…I’m serious…it was so bizarre, I can’t even remember it right now. She’s called [name]Lulu[/name] for short (imagine a [name]Michael[/name] and [name]Lucy[/name] naming their kid “Leahcimdnaycul” and you got the gist!)

I hate the term “made up” because orginally all names were made up by someone. Acting like we can’t make up any more new names is silly. Some of the newer names are beautiful and great additions. However I do agree some of these names can go very very wrong.

• [name]Nevaeh[/name]- The name is fine. I personally don’t like it but to some it has its appeal.

• Aubrielle- I think this name is really pretty and girly. I really like it.

• Leylianette- I hate this. I hate the way it looks and sounds.

• Actually encountered a little girl recently whose name is her parents’ names with “and” in the middle…spelled backwards…I’m serious…it was so bizarre, I can’t even remember it right now. She’s called [name]Lulu[/name] for short (imagine a [name]Michael[/name] and [name]Lucy[/name] naming their kid “Leahcimdnaycul” and you got the gist!) ***That sounds just plain crazy to me. Very strange, but to each thier own right!!! :slight_smile: ***

I’m generally not a fan of newly invented names, and can’t say I really like the ones that you mentioned. My main problem with newly invented names is that most sound like a mush of two names … because most are. I think they sound artificial, sort of over done. However, I recently encountered the name Xelia, which was invented by the parents. But you wouldn’t have known that if I didn’t tell you, would you? And so I think that’s fine. It’s a cool name, sounds very unusual but also vintage. If I were named Xelia I’d be upset that my name didn’t have an origin meaning, or a solid history, but I’d still like the sound and feel of my name.

[name]Auburn[/name]

There are thousands, upon thousands of legitimate names. Why must people add letters and mash multiple names together to create some off the wall name for their child?

Obviously, someone made-up names in the first place but they also made-up words. I could tell you Tambieyell spelled fish if I wanted to.

I’m very much against made-up names. [name]True[/name], all names were made up once, but so were words, and you wouldn’t go around making up new words on your own! If a name is made up following the basic rules of a certain language, then I have less of a problem. For example, taking the prefix [name]El[/name]- and adding it to something like -isela creates a Elisela, which sounds pretty and like it could be a real name. Creating smushes, like Marilena or [name]Rosabelle[/name] also are acceptable because they are created out of parts of real names, and they have a real meaning. I’d much rather see any of these than a misspelled name or a surname/boy name on a girl.

Many names were ‘invented’ by authors (like [name]William[/name] [name]Shakespeare[/name]) but they, too are created in a way that they have a meaning. [name]Shakespeare[/name] made up the name [name]Miranda[/name] using the Latin word mirandus, meaning ‘wonderful’. [name]James[/name] MacPherson invented the name [name]Fiona[/name] based on the name [name]Fionn[/name]. A name like Brayleigh or Caslin is made up based on the sounds of what’s trendy at the moment, so will become dated and will not serve a child well later in life.

If the name flows well, and has meaning-why not? Naming is a very personal thing.

^ This, times infinity!

YES to new names that are intelligently put together and have a derived meaning and history that can be attributed to them. (I include names with alternative spellings in this category, so long as the name is still recognizable.)

NO to “names” that are nothing more than pretentious gibberish.

– [name]Nephele[/name]

I tend to agree with you but I ended up “making up” a name for my 3rd child’s middle name. It is a combo of my parents’ two names. I knew I was not having any more kids and wanted to honor them both. My dad is [name]Kent[/name] and my mom is [name]Linda[/name] so the name is Kenlin.

I appreciate everyone’s thoughtful replies. The subject of the so-called “made up” names, which one could more affectionately call “inventive” or “creative”, has a lot of different sides to it.
@auburn
I feel like the smushing/combining of different names to make one new name could easily be referred to as HYBRID names. And I think with most parents wanting to name their child something that is either (or both) special and unique is lending to the emergence of a LOT more hybrids out there.
@irisrose
What I find most fascinating about names IS how they relate to languages. You mentioned we can’t just make up words out of nowhere…but…in a way, we do. Though in our own lifetimes, we don’t often see a GREAT deal of changes in language, it is still always changing. Linguists call it “linguistic creativity”–humans have the ability to speak brand new utterances/sounds/words at any time. It’s the beauty of language to me…and really, once a language stops changing, it dies. Think of all the new “words” out there nowadays that people use to communicate-“omg”, “newb”, “lol”. Such terms didn’t exist 20 years ago, but everyone understands them now. I’m interested in all this because it plays into the naming trends going on-and the creation of these NEW (“made up, inventive”) NAMES!

I can’t wait to see what new names we’ll be hearing over the next couple decades…do you think old names will die and rise again in a cycle? For girls at least, I think they’ll keep getting more creative…or strange… :wink:

BTW, Adalei is a new one I heard recently as well. Pronounced “[name]Ad[/name]'uh’lay”…bit of a spin off of [name]Adelaide[/name]? It’s the only Adalei I know, and I think it’s a gorgeous name…it did have to grow on me though!