Madeleine

Dh said his top name is [name_f]Madelyn[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] and we already have 2 girls with M names. [name_f]Miranda[/name_f] and [name_f]Marina[/name_f]. Now our last child he wants [name_f]Madelyn[/name_f]. I proposed this name, [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f]. He still wants [name_f]Rose[/name_f] for the middle name. So aside from the popularity of the names what do you think? I’m coming to terms with it.

I think [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] is gorgeous! I love the idea of all three ‘M’ names together as sisters. :slight_smile:

(And I definitely prefer [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] to [name_f]Madelyn[/name_f]. It just looks and feels more timeless.)

It’s lovely. With the various spellings considered, I think you will find it to be a bit more well-used than the sister names, but it is very nice on its own and with the sibset.

It’s throwing me off because he never wanted another M name. He kept telling me “No more M names”. And his mom even said no more M names. To her own daughter. I originally moved [name_f]Madelyn[/name_f] and her various spellings to the middle name because he didn’t want another M name and I’m kind of ocd.

I much prefer spelling it [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f], good suggestion mama! [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] is lovely and works wonderfully with [name_f]Miranda[/name_f] and [name_f]Marina[/name_f].

[name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] is lovely!! I don’t actually know many-I’ve maybe met one or two little Madeleines in the last few year and one my age
[name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] is elegant, lively and pretty

I know it’s more common. I never really wanted a common name for my girls. Especially with all the various spellings. We never wanted another name that could get mixed up with the girls names. I was actually going to settle on [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f], but he didn’t want another name that ends in A. [name_m]Even[/name_m] though we’d most likely call her [name_u]Alex[/name_u] for short.

Thank you :blush:

Thank you! I know of 1 [name_f]Madeline[/name_f] and 3 [name_u]Madison[/name_u]'s all various ages and spellings. 1 adult [name_u]Madison[/name_u] nn [name_f]Maddie[/name_f]. So maybe not as many as [name_u]Alex[/name_u] for either gender and various spellings. It’s probably going to take me some time to get use to [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] nn [name_f]Maddie[/name_f]. I keep calling her [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] in my head.

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there.

I don’t think that three 'M’s is a huge problem if it’s the only name that you two both love & agree on. I’m not sure how to feel about [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] though. I love Mad-uh-line. It’s elegant, sweet & classy. [name_f]Madelyn[/name_f], however, seems trendy & not as special. This may be ridiculous, I totally understand! Would you pronounce [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] like ‘mad-uh-line’? That seems like how it should be said based on the spelling. Maybe [name_f]Madeline[/name_f] would be even easier? If you’re looking for the ‘mad-uh-lyn’ pronunciation, then I’d stick w/[name_f]Madelyn[/name_f] to avoid confusion.

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps. :slight_smile:

The [name_m]French[/name_m] way to pronounce [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] is Mad-lehn according to Behind the Name. So it would probably be between that and Mad-uh-lehn. No line pronunciation. Not even in that spelling.

[name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] is lovely.

@Jonquils the book and tv character is [name_f]Madeline[/name_f].

[name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] is intuitive enough to me that you shouldn’t need to butcher the spelling.

As for being common, [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] is certainly familiar but it isn’t that common. I’d say I’ve met more Alexandras/Alexs in my life than I’ve met Madelines/Madleines/Madelyns.

But if it’s a strong concern, would he consider [name_f]Magdalen[/name_f]? Since [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] and it’s various forms are a [name_m]French[/name_m] linguistic variation of [name_f]Magdalen[/name_f].

[name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] is stunning! :slight_smile:

[name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] is on my list right now! I think the [name_m]French[/name_m] spelling makes it more elegant and prefer the [name_m]French[/name_m] pronunciation (Mad-lyn). [name_u]Madison[/name_u] and [name_f]Madelyn[/name_f] just seem more popular and modern to me.

[name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] is beautiful!

Thank you :blush:

They’re both [name_m]French[/name_m] so if you aren’t paying attention it’s easy to mix them up. [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] is pronounced more like Mad-lehn.

I’ve only officially met one [name_f]Maddie[/name_f] who was [name_u]Madison[/name_u]. She’s in her 20’s now. Other [name_f]Maddie[/name_f]'s are variations of [name_f]Madeline[/name_f] and Madisons. I know more [name_u]Madison[/name_u]'s than [name_f]Madeline[/name_f]/[name_f]Madelyn[/name_f]/Madeleines. I know the others thru FB. Classmates kids names. You guys are reassuring me with this name. Thank you :blush:. I’ve also never met a [name_f]Madeline[/name_f] spelled [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f].

@adelina_sophia thank you :blush: