Madeline Noelani or Madeline Lili'u?

my baby’s due in feb. ive been planning to name her [name]Madeline[/name] [name]Noelani[/name] (prn. noy-lah-nee) but i came across the name [name]Lili[/name]'u (prn. lee-lee-ooh) because UFC fighter BJ [name]Penn[/name] named his daughter [name]Aeva[/name] [name]Lili[/name]'u. ive fallen in love with the sound of it and it looks so pretty when written on paper…[name]Lili[/name]'u is a namesake for [name]Queen[/name] Liliuokalani-the last of queen of [name]Hawaii[/name]…so that parts nice…but the literal meaning of [name]Lili[/name]'u is irritation…read the following explanations of the queen’s name:

Liliu was a name given to the queen at birth. Liliuokalani is a name that her brother Kalakaua pretty much gave her when he was king. It basically means “Liliu of the Heavens”, or “Liliu the [name]Royal[/name] One”. The princess herself said “Liluokalani” was “no name at all.” Her friends and American husband, I gather, usually called her [name]Lydia[/name].

Kinau, half-sister of [name]King[/name] Kamehameha III was given the privilege of naming the new baby of chiefly rank, since a granddaughter of Kamehameha I would be raising the new baby as a hanai (adopted) daughter. This was done for political reasons among the ali’i. Anyway, Kinau had an eye infection or irritation of some sort that had been going on for days, and nothing seemed to be working. Names were given in accordance to important things going on, so Kinau named the new baby Liliu (smarting) Loloku (tearful) Walania (burning pain) Kamakaeha (the sore eye). So you could say that “Liliu” means smarting or irritated.
Source(s):
[name]Allen[/name], [name]Helena[/name] G. (1982) The Betrayal of Liluokalani: Last [name]Queen[/name] of [name]Hawaii[/name] 1838-1917.

So would you advise against using [name]Lili[/name]'u as a mn or not?
btw noelani means heavenly mist and if i cant decide on noelani or lili’u ill give the baby my own mn Kanani meaning beautiful

thanks for reading my long question!

I actually like [name]Madeline[/name] Kanani best! [name]How[/name] pretty!

I love [name]Madeline[/name] Kanani, too, because the L and N middles are hard for me to say with [name]Madeline[/name]'s “line” ending.

[name]Madeline[/name] Noelanie is easier for me to say than [name]Madeline[/name] [name]Lili[/name]'u, because I get less tongue-tied. (That may just be me, though!)

Good luck! :slight_smile: