Madeline vs Matilda

Which name do you like better? [name]Madeline[/name]/[name]Madelyn[/name] or [name]Matilda[/name]?

I had been seriously considering [name]Matilda[/name]. And I like the nn [name]Mattie[/name] (can’t really see myself with a [name]Tilly[/name]).

But then I thought well, if I am using that nn maybe I should reconsider [name]Madeline[/name]. I like [name]Madeline[/name] but, my main problem with it is that I like the pronunciation mad-e-lyn, and I’m afraid a lot of people would pronounce it mad-e-line. Then I’ve gotten the suggestion to spell it [name]Madelyn[/name], which I’m sort of on the fence about. It seems like one of those made-up spellings but I guess that spelling has been around forever so maybe it’s not. Is [name]Madeline[/name] always supposed to be pronounced with the -line ending? The name baffles me, haha, and that’s kind of what puts me off from it a little.

Anyway I guess my debate is [name]Matilda[/name] is much more unique, which I like. But [name]Madeline[/name]/lyn is not so popular that I would take it off my list.
But with [name]Matilda[/name] I don’t know if I can picture a teenage or adult [name]Matilda[/name]. Probably because I’ve never known one. Is it going to age well? Or is it going to be a name that my daughter hates as she gets older and wishes I named her something more “normal”?

Personally, I really don’t like [name]Matilda[/name]. It’s very matronly, and reminds me of that creepy [name]Danny[/name] Devito movie “[name]Matilda[/name]”.

I would pronounce [name]Madeline[/name] “Mad-el-ine”. [name]Madelyn[/name] would be “Mad-el-yn”. There are a lot of names floating around with the random (and incorrect) “y”, but this isn’t one of them. [name]Both[/name] are acceptable spellings because they are in fact two (slightly) different names. I like [name]Madelyn[/name]. [name]Madeline[/name] is overdone, [name]IMO[/name].

Definitely [name]Matilda[/name]. I like that it’s unusual and old-fashioned. I think [name]Matilda[/name] is quite charming - especially with vintage nickname [name]Mattie[/name]. [name]Madeline[/name] and [name]Madelyn[/name] both feel overused and dull to me.

Thanks for the [name]Madeline[/name]/[name]Madelyn[/name] clarification :slight_smile:

I like [name]Matilda[/name] so much more! I like [name]Madeline[/name] but only if it’s pronounced Mad-el-line.

I really love [name]Madeline[/name]!

I like [name]Matilda[/name] and [name]Madelyn[/name]. If youre wanting a more mainstream name, definately go with [name]Madelyn[/name]. [name]Matilda[/name] is coming back, but still offbeat right now.

[name]Matilda[/name] would have to be nearly as popular as [name]Madeline[/name] in Australia. I love [name]Matilda[/name] I think it is a very cool name! I also love the [name]Roald[/name] Dahl kids book [name]Matilda[/name] - which the movie mentioned above is based on. That would be a plus for me.
[name]Emeline[/name] is like [name]Madeline[/name] but isn’t as common?

Agree with this. [name]Every[/name] other little girl I meet is named [name]Madeline[/name] or [name]Madelyn[/name]. I pronounce both how you like it, unless someone tells me otherwise. And [name]Mattie[/name] goes better with [name]Matilda[/name], since [name]Maddie[/name] is the nickname for [name]Madeline[/name].

Well, my husband hates [name]Madeline[/name] or [name]Madelyn[/name] in any spelling or pronunciation. So I guess that’s out. I probably would have reconsidered anyway looking at the numbers for my state and with Madelines Madelyns and Madeleines together it puts the name in the top 10. Which is a lot different than just seeing [name]Madelyn[/name] at #47.

I prefer the more vintage sounding [name]Matilda[/name]. [name]Madeline[/name] is too popular for me. Also, the French spelling of the name, [name]Madeleine[/name], is pronounced as “[name]Madelyn[/name].”

I love [name]Madeleine[/name]! It’s the original French spelling, and said just like [name]Madelyn[/name]. It’s too bad your hubby didn’t like it, because I prefer it to [name]Matilda[/name]! I like [name]Matilda[/name] a lot… I just like [name]Madeleine[/name] more.

Good luck!

[name]Matilda[/name] is adorable, fun, spunky, but classy, timeless and elegant :slight_smile: [name]Madeline[/name] is cute, and could work on an adult, but is way too common for my liking. [name]Matilda[/name] isn’t trendy, and everyone will know how to pronounce it, which is a plus! There will probably be ton’s of [name]Madeline[/name]'s in her school, and very very few [name]Matilda[/name]'s :slight_smile:

I know a [name]Madeline[/name] and it is pronounced Mad-el-yn. I do know a [name]Madeleine[/name] but I don’t know how she pronounces it as she always goes by [name]Maddy[/name]. [name]Matilda[/name] is quite common in Australia but is very cute.

If you love the thought of a little [name]Mattie[/name], just remember there’s not much difference between [name]Mattie[/name] and [name]Maddie[/name] (all those top 10 [name]Madaline[/name] / Madalyns!!) when shouted at top volume on the playground.