Madelyn Spelling?

I prefer the [name]Madelyn[/name] spelling to the [name]Madeline[/name] spelling because I want to ensure the pronunciation Mad-e-lyn not Made-e-line. Opinions?

Sorry. I think [name]Madelyn[/name] just looks tryndee and made up. It diminishes the beauty of the name.

If you wanted to avoid Mad-e-line, WDYT of the spelling [name]MADELEINE[/name]? It’s the original French spelling and it doesn’t have the option of being confused with Mad-e-line.

Another form of the name that I like is [name]Magdalena[/name]…just throwing that out there. Good luck! :slight_smile:

Sorry… [name]Madelyn[/name] is not a name, just a tryndee, misspelled version of one. [name]Madeleine[/name] is gorgeous, and I don’t think you would ever get it mispronounced.

Good luck :slight_smile:

I prefer the [name]Madeleine[/name] spelling…beautiful name!

I would go with [name]Madalyn[/name] over [name]Madelyn[/name] any day

I prefer [name]Madeline[/name]/[name]Madeleine[/name] to [name]Madelyn[/name], too. I think it’s a beautiful name!

Good luck! :slight_smile:

You can pronounce [name]Madeline[/name] as mad-e-[name]LYN[/name], too, but the best spelling is the traditional French [name]Madeleine[/name]. I really don’t care for [name]Madelyn[/name] at all - sorry!

I have to agree with the other posters, not a fan of [name]Madelyn[/name].

I would definitely opt for the French spelling [name]Madeleine[/name].

Your concern for mis-pronunciation is trivial.

I”m sorry, but it”s a no for me. I dislike [name]Madeline[/name], but it is said Mad-a-line, whilst [name]Madeleine[/name] is pronounced Mad-a-lyn, and is not as trendy a spelling.
Otherwise, [name]Madeleine[/name] is absolutely stunning, and seems to be a fresh take on simple [name]Madeline[/name]. (:

I doubt many people would try to pronounce it ‘line’ even with that spelling. It’s quite a common name these days with all the the various spellings typically being pronounced mad-a-lyn anyway. I think it’s only the character in the the children’s book that gets pronounced the other way.

I prefer [name]Madeleine[/name] or [name]Madeline[/name] myself.

Interestingly my mother’s name in [name]Madeline[/name] supposedly pronounced mad-a-leen but everyone always says mad-a-lyn - and she doesn’t ever correct them.

I really, really dislike the look of [name]Madelyn[/name]. I know a couple of little girls named [name]Madeline[/name], and pronunciation seems about 50-50. I think both ways of saying it are equally common these days.

I would go with [name]Madeline[/name]. You are either going to have to correct people on their pronunciation or their spelling. Possibly both. The French spelling is pretty, but your daughter will always have to spell her name out to people in order for them to get it right. But, if you go with [name]Madeline[/name] and she is saying her name to people, most people will default to the [name]Madeline[/name] spelling.

I have a name with a less common spelling variation, so I always have had to spell my name and it seems to be increasingly uncommon for people to see it and pronounce it correctly, which is kind of a drag.

I know you are asking for opinions, and people have been very honest with their opinions(!), I would say that, whilst they do have a point, it is your right to be trendy if you want too. She is your baby and you can name her as you will, and this includes ‘making up’ the spelling of the name.

I would say to you to really consider the implications of her having to spell out her name to everyone (but people have to do this with lots of names). You spell it how you want! xx

I don’t think [name]Madelyn[/name] looks trendy at all. I am a elementary teacher so I see many children, when it is spelt [name]Madeline[/name] I always say it with the ‘line’. If you don’t want the pronucniation issue I would spell it like you want it said.

I personally prefer the [name]Madeleine[/name] spelling. It looks very classy imo and I’ve always heard it prn ‘mad-e-lyn’.

This is a no-brainer. If you want your daugther’s name to be “mah-duh-linn,” then you should use the classic French name spelled [name]Madeleine[/name] which is pronounced as such.
[name]Madeline[/name] is a different name, pronounced mah-duh-line, and therefore should not be under consideration.
[name]Madelyn[/name], however, is not a real name at all, but at best a botched spelling of [name]Madeleine[/name].

[name]Madeline[/name] seems much more classy than [name]Madelyn[/name]. And, it looks prettier spelled out as well.

My daughter is a [name]Madeleine[/name] so I am very biased but I have never encountered a pronounciation issue with her name and personally love the traditional spelling of it.

That being said, do whatever looks great to you. No matter how you spell it, people will confuse the name…some may look at it and see “made-lin” … Most know the name and pronounce it correctly.

Good luck! Great name choice!

IME, most people pronounce the [name]Madeline[/name] spelling identically to [name]Madelyn[/name], so I don’t think the pronunciation issue is too much of a roadblock. [name]Nor[/name] do I think the [name]Madeleine[/name] spelling is a cure-all, because I’ve seen plenty of people pronounce that Mad-e-[name]LINE[/name]. It’s true that the [name]Madelyn[/name] spelling is the only one that will absolutely guarantee the pronunciation you want, but very few things in life are a 100% guarantee!

My advice is to go with the spelling that you like the most and not worry about pronunciation issues–all of the spellings will garner you an at least decent chance of getting the pronunciation you prefer, if not 100%. While [name]Madelyn[/name] has a trendier feel to it than the other spellings, it’s still a legit name–but don’t use it unless it’s truly the spelling you like best. I wouldn’t use it solely as a means of staving off pronunciation concerns.

I most definitely prefer [name]Madeline[/name] or [name]Madeleine[/name]. I am not sure if I am understanding…are you concerned that people will pronounce it with a long “a” as in “made” or with a long “i” as in “line”? I have only every heard it pronounced as Mad-uh-lyn or Mad-uh-line. I prefer the latter pronounciation with the long “i” at the end! Great name btw! :slight_smile: