maeve?

DH and i are currently TTC #2 (we have DS beckett reed). our boy names are narrowed down to tobin gray, oliver west or sullivan james. (tobin being the favorite).

we are having difficulty with the girl names. some of our favorites: maisie (can’t come up with a mn we like), isla maeve, ruby jean, fiona bay, matilda bay. DH loves maisie, i’m just in “like” with it. my favorite by far is isla, which is his 2nd favorite. i think we’ve come to the conclusion that ruby is just too popular for us (we prefer out of the top 500).

anyways…i really love the name isla maeve. but i’ve been doing some research on the name maeve and i’m a bit worried about the negative connotations of the name. it has no special family significance to us, other than i just love the sound/flow with isla. other options for isla are isla june and isla bay (but i fear this might have an “ocean” theme going on). what do you think about the name maeve? is the meaning/history of the name too negative? or do you like the sound of isla maeve and don’t care about the meaning?

thanks!

I absolutely adore the name [name]Maeve[/name]! I’m not aware of the negative connotations at all. After Googling, I still don’t see any problems with the myth… I think [name]Isla[/name] [name]Maeve[/name] is such a gorgeous name, and it fits well with [name]Beckett[/name]. I also love [name]Fiona[/name] on your list-- [name]Fiona[/name] [name]Maeve[/name] would be lovely, too. Oh, and I also think [name]Maisie[/name] could work as a nickname for [name]Maeve[/name], since you husband really likes it.

i just found this a bit off-putting…just the insatiable sexual appetite and murdering of her sister, i thought i’d also read she murdered another man too. just not the beautiful story to go along with such a beautiful name =)

"[name]Queen[/name] Medb ([name]Maeve[/name]) has many attributes of the goddess and may be an aspect of the goddess in human form just as the [name]Goddess[/name] [name]Macha[/name] lived among mortals and married the farmer Crundchu in one of her manifestations. Medb has an insatiable sexual appetite and boasts openly of sleeping with thirty men in one day. She has a sacred grove known as Bile Meibe and two tree-dwelling creatures perch on either of her shoulders the squirrel and the raven.

She mates with the hero [name]Fergus[/name] [name]Mac[/name] Roich ‘[name]Son[/name] of Great Horse’ who himself has a large sexual appetite so that he satisfies her. ‘she used to know thirty men every day or go with [name]Fergus[/name] once.’ During the battle of the T”in [name]Bo[/name], Medb wanted to pass water and [name]Fergus[/name] hid her with his shield, the water she passes forms three great dykes ‘so that a mill could find room in each dyke’. The place became known afterwards as Fual Medba, ‘Medb’s Urine’. Natural features are frequently formed through the actions of supernatural beings.

Medb murdered her sister Clothra while she was pregnant with Furbaide son of Conchobar [name]Mac[/name] [name]Nessa[/name], the baby survived this and when he grew up he murdered Medb in revenge with a slingshot of hard cheese while she was bathing in a lake on an island in Lough [name]Ree[/name], Co. Roscommon. His name was Furbaide Ferbend."

I know a [name]Maeve[/name] and everyone loves her name! I don’t think she’s ever gotten any comments … not many people know that backstory. I really like the name and wouldn’t worry about it

I have to agree that I think the name is GORGEOUS and never ever have heard about this history. In fact, before I started coming here I had never even heard of [name]Maeve[/name]. I think you’re okay :wink:

I have a sister named [name]Maeve[/name]. My mother had three daughters, all of us with unusual names (at least, at the time), and I’ve always thought [name]Maeve[/name] was the prettiest of the three. As far as I know, she’s never had to deal with any “negative” stereotypes or associations with the name. Plus, if you’re using it as a middle name for [name]Isla[/name] (another beautiful choice) then I doubt it’s going to be any issue.

thanks for the reassurance. i wanted to use a “may/mae” name for my mom but didn’t want it to just be may. even though maeve has nothing to do with the name may/mae, it still has that same sound and is SO beautiful. i’m really liking isla maeve. our other option was isla june, but i prefer maeve.

I love all of your names. Some of these are on my list. I think the combo of [name]Isla[/name] [name]Maeve[/name] is gorgeous. [name]Matilda[/name] [name]Bay[/name] is awesome. [name]Matilda[/name] is on my list and so is [name]Maisie[/name]. One idea I had was naming her [name]Matilda[/name] and her nickname being [name]Maisie[/name] (not crazy about [name]Mattie[/name] or [name]Tilly[/name]) so that might work for you.

Middle names for [name]Maisie[/name]

[name]Maisie[/name] [name]Violet[/name]
[name]Maisie[/name] [name]Quinn[/name]
[name]Maisie[/name] [name]Annabel[/name]

Good luck!

I love [name]Maeve[/name], and even after learning of [name]Maeve[/name]'s history, I still love it! :slight_smile:

Good luck! :slight_smile:

Someone mentioned negative connotations with the name [name]Maeve[/name]/[name]Maeva[/name] when we were considering [name]Maeva[/name] as my daughter’s middle name (which we eventually chose - [name]Wren[/name] [name]Maeva[/name]). I hadn’t read that story before today and I don’t think many people have. The information I had on the name was that it meant insatiable and intoxicating. I looked at those meanings as positive in that you could extrapelate an insatiable hunger for success and an intoxicating personality stemming from charm, grace, etc. After reading your back story I still like the name.

I love the name [name]Maeve[/name] and had never heard of any negative associations before. I doubt most people would have heard of them either. It’s a very pretty name.
I just have to mention, please don’t use the name [name]Matilda[/name] [name]Bay[/name], because there is a place near [name]Perth[/name] in Western Australia called [name]Matilda[/name] [name]Bay[/name] and it sounds like you just named her after the place…like calling someone Yellowstone [name]Park[/name] for example. It’s a very popular spot too.

i don’t mind that there is a place called matilda bay in australia. its a name with a lot of meaning to us, so that’s more important. besides, matilda IS an actual name, something like yellowstone is not. and we will never be in australia, so that’s not a worry to us.