Magdalen?

Due next month with baby #9. I’ve mostly posted over the past few weeks about short, classic names because that’s what I’ve been thinking I am looking for - [name_f]Lucy[/name_f], [name_f]Sarah[/name_f], [name_f]Eve[/name_f], [name_u]Joan[/name_u], [name_f]Nell[/name_f]. 3 of my older 5 kids have one-syllable names and I felt like I wanted to go back to that straightforward style. But with none of them clicking maybe I’ve grown towards my husband preferred style of a name with a sweet nickname.

I’ve recently become obsessed with [name_f]Magdalen[/name_f] nn [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] and maybe [name_f]Magda[/name_f]. It was actually on my list 19 years ago when we named my oldest as the church we were married at was St. [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Magdalen[/name_f]. [name_f]My[/name_f] husband is hesitant because as he says “you don’t really hear that name.” I think he wants to make sure we’re giving her a normal name.

Sibling names: P@ul, Cl@re, M@rk, K@th@rine, J@mes, @ndrew, G@briel, [name_m]Thom[/name_m]@as.

Anyway, there’s not a whole of opinions about the name so I thought I’d post. Thanks for everyone’s responses.

3 Likes

I adore [name_f]Magdalen[/name_f]! It’s so adorable and classic sounding! I think it is usable since every one knows [name_f]Madeline[/name_f] and [name_u]Madison[/name_u] and [name_f]Magdalen[/name_f] is a rarer, in my opinion prettier, alternative. I think it fits really well with your other kids, who all have lovely names by the way. :blush: I say go for it!

I really like it!

I love the name [name_f]Magdalena[/name_f], so I adore [name_f]Magdalen[/name_f] as well. I think it fits well with the classic, old-fashioned nature of the sibling names, despite being a bit more romantic feeling. It matches well with [name_u]Gabriel[/name_u]!

I do think it’s less neutral than the names of your other kids, if that bothers you. It is a bit striking, and people will have preconceived notions of [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Magdalen[/name_f]. I don’t know if you’re Catholic or not (it seems like you were married at a Catholic church), but it’s more prevalent among Catholic communities. The nickname [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] also lightens it quite a bit!

All in all, I love the name and think it’s usable.

3 Likes

I think it’s a great name and goes well with your sibset! [name_u]Love[/name_u] the meaning behind it for you guys, too.

Yes, I think you’ve nailed it. It’s more striking than my other kids names. Probably not quite as safe as [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] and [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]. But I am very charmed by it. I am a bit worried that people will focus on the fallen nature of the saint. It does feel like the nickname [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] let’s her skip the conversation if she wants to.

1 Like

I think [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Magdalen[/name_f] has been misconstrued in popular culture and is a fine namesake and figure (I could go on, but that’s my basic point).

1 Like

I like [name_f]Magdalen[/name_f]. I don’t think people would perceive it as “abnormal” . Name-wise it reminds me of [name_f]Madeline[/name_f]/Madelyn and [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f].

Magdalen is gorgeous and feminine! I’ve been considering using it as a middle name. I say go for it!

In a sibset with [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] and [name_u]Gabriel[/name_u], I don’t think [name_f]Magdalen[/name_f] stands out as too long, and it definitely matches the vibe of your older children’s names. But I see what your husband is saying about it being rarer. [name_m]Even[/name_m] so, it’s a gorgeous name, and I think it could fit in. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I love the story behind it, and I also love it with your other childrens names, I do agree that it is more striking, but I still think its fits in just fine!
I’ve never really thought of it as a ‘unique’ name, but I suppose thats partly because I grew up with a [name_f]Magdalen[/name_f] (everyone calls her [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] though!)

I think it’s definitely useable and it also works with your children’s names!:blush:

Aww man, Im the first dissenter (no one wants to be the first dissenter).

I adore [name_f]Maggie[/name_f]!
… but I really dislike [name_f]Magda[/name_f]/ [name_f]Magdalen[/name_f]. It doesnt feel current like the other names. To me, it sounds similarly moth-ball-y as [name_f]Midge[/name_f], [name_f]Madge[/name_f], [name_f]Marge[/name_f], [name_f]Bertha[/name_f], [name_f]Norma[/name_f], [name_f]Gertrude[/name_f], and [name_f]Maude[/name_f].

There are a lot of other [name_f]Mag[/name_f]- names that procide [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] as a NN, some of them a tad fresher-sounding:

• Marigold
  • Margaret
  • Marguerite
  • Magnolia
    etc

I love [name_f]Magda[/name_f] and [name_f]Maggie[/name_f], and I like [name_f]Magdalen[/name_f]. [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] in particular works well with your crew. If you love it, I definitely think you should go for it.

But I will also say that I feel like [name_f]Magdalen[/name_f] as a full name is a style mismatch with the older siblings, and I always advocate for each child having a unique initial when possible.

1 Like

Each child having their own initial has been fun and wonderfully convenient. It definitely is a factor in favor of my dh’s favorite [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]. But honestly with 15 years between M@rk and [name_f]Magdalen[/name_f], I am not sure how much it would really matter to either of them. By the time she learns her letters she’ll feel like the only M name. Similarly, I’ve frequently considered using the name [name_f]Mary[/name_f] but have felt like I’ve needed to rule it out because of M@rk’s name but even those two might actually work given the age difference.

1 Like

I admit i prefer [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] of your choices but [name_f]Magdalen[/name_f] is bold and brilliant

That age gap makes me think it’s not a big deal. I also love [name_f]Mary[/name_f]!

You know, [name_f]Nell[/name_f] (I LOVE NELL btw!!!) could be a nickname for [name_f]Magdalen[/name_f]!! :smiley: :heart_eyes:

I love [name_f]Magdalen[/name_f] :wink:

Good luck and congratulations!!

I really love the name [name_f]Magdalen[/name_f] (plus [name_f]Magdalena[/name_f] and [name_f]Magdalene[/name_f]) I think it goes well with your kids names although I do really like how they all have their own initial so far. [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] would be my favorite for you not just because it’s my own name haha but I love it with all the other kids. I’m not sure if you have a middle picked out but [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Magdalen[/name_f] would be great!

3 Likes

I think it works! Your kids names go together very nicely