Magdalene > Madeleine > "Aggie"

I have loved the name “Madeleine” ever since I can remember. We are planning for baby #5 and could use some help with a middle name.

Our kids:

1. [name_u]Elliot[/name_u] [name_u]James[/name_u]
  2. [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] “Aurie” [name_u]Anne[/name_u]
  3. [name_u]Daniel[/name_u] [name_u]Joseph[/name_u]
  4. [name_m]Caleb[/name_m] [name_m]Josiah[/name_m]
  5. [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] ??

We’ll probably have a nn for her (that’s obscure, like “Aurie”) and I really like “[name_f]Aggie[/name_f],” which (you probably know) comes by way of [name_f]Magdalene[/name_f], but we have not completely decided. Other options: [name_f]May[/name_f], [name_f]Millie[/name_f], [name_f]Lily[/name_f], [name_f]Lainey[/name_f], or Liddy. I would prefer avoiding a mn starting with A or J.

Please advise on “Aggie” as well.

Thank you!

[name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] is pretty!! [name_f]Aggie[/name_f] is a bit of a stretch for me, but it’s pretty fun and cool in sound! I think a G middle name would work well

[name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f]
[name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] [name_f]Gaia[/name_f]
[name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] [name_u]Greer[/name_u]
[name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] [name_f]Georgia[/name_f]
[name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] [name_f]Gabriella[/name_f]
[name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] [name_f]Gemma[/name_f]

Otherwise:

[name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] [name_f]Sophie[/name_f]
[name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] [name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]
[name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] [name_f]Ivy[/name_f]
[name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] Olive/Olivia
[name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f]
[name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] [name_f]Hope[/name_f]
[name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f]
[name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] [name_f]Sienna[/name_f]
[name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] [name_f]Cora[/name_f]
[name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] [name_u]Ruby[/name_u]
[name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] [name_u]Louise[/name_u] “Milou”
[name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] [name_u]Zoe[/name_u]

[name_f]Lainey[/name_f] is super cute too and I enjoy [name_f]May[/name_f]!

1 Like

I agree that [name_f]Aggie[/name_f] is kind of a stretch. I think people would get it if you explained it. I do like [name_f]Millie[/name_f] for [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f]. It’s not a common nickname for [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] but still has similar sounds.

Though since you have another daughter with a name that sounds a bit different from her nickname, [name_f]Aggie[/name_f] might work for you.

1 Like

[name_f]Lovely[/name_f] group of sibling names! [name_f]Aggie[/name_f] seems a stretch to me too - I understand how you got it, but it’s not my favorite. I like [name_f]Lainey[/name_f] or [name_f]Della[/name_f].

[name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f]
[name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] [name_f]Kate[/name_f]
[name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] [name_f]Olivia[/name_f]
[name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f]
[name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] [name_f]Kathleen[/name_f]
[name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] [name_f]Vera[/name_f]
[name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] [name_f]Hope[/name_f]

Does [name_f]Aurie[/name_f] from [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] sound any better? This is what I’m thinking…

[name_f]Aurie[/name_f] comes from the two “ars” in [name_f]Margaret[/name_f]. We liked the way the “Au” looked. Plus, [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] means “Pearl” which I have taught [name_f]Aurie[/name_f] is a “treasure,” largely very important to me because I did not know my value until I was much older. I have a long line of regrets and I hope to lead my children in a way that reinforces their identity is not in appearance, ability, number of friends, or any other number of things that we can chase after, that we think gives us worth. So we liked the way “Au” looked, but also, the chemical symbol “Au” is used for gold.

“Ag” then is silver (and yes, Rh is rhodium, which theoretically is more valuable, but not as poetically pleasing). So “Aggie.”

1 Like

This is a very sweet explanation!

Using Aggie as a nickname for Madeleine since it’s derived from Magdalene feels like a bit of a stretch to me, but using Aggie because of the chemical symbol for silver and how it relates to her sisters nickname feels sweet, special, and it feels more like one of those nicknames that isn’t derived from their name like “boo”, “peanut”, I hope you know what I mean!

Some middle names:
Madeleine Charlotte
Madeleine Greer
Madeleine Frances
Madeleine Harper
Madeleine Blair
Madeleine Diana

1 Like

I’ve never heard [name_f]Aurie[/name_f] from [name_f]Margaret[/name_f], but it works visually and aurally. The Au/Ag connection is sweet. :blush: Have you considered just using [name_f]Magdalene[/name_f] or [name_f]Magdalena[/name_f]?

1 Like

Thank you. Yeah, [name_f]Magdalena[/name_f] and [name_f]Magdalene[/name_f] don’t roll off the tongue quite like [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f]. :blush:

Guys, I know it’s a stretch. It just doesn’t seem that weird to me when it’s common for a [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] become a “Peg” and so on. Maybe my reasoning is just sentimental, rather than logical, like you said, @gracegillian.

I like [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f]. [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] [name_f]Hope[/name_f] reminds me of my mom (her name means hope, but is otherwise not very appealing). [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] [name_f]Ruth[/name_f]? Madeleine…? I’ll need to give it some more pondering :slight_smile: Thank you all for the help and the honesty!

1 Like

I have a niece named [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f], so I understand being partial to it. :yellow_heart:

I could see a G middle name making the [name_f]Aggie[/name_f] connection a little smoother. [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f] is beautiful!

1 Like

I hear people use ‘aggy’ as a short version of aggravating so for me I’m not a fan

How would you pronounce [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f]? I feel like however you pronounce the first will effect the flow of the mn

I feel like [name_f]Aggie[/name_f] is pretty stretchy-but it’s a fine nickname- would you consider using [name_f]Magdalene[/name_f] itself? Other suggestions: [name_m]Mads[/name_m], [name_u]Mel[/name_u], [name_f]Minnie[/name_f], [name_m]Manny[/name_m], [name_f]Addie[/name_f], [name_f]Della[/name_f], [name_f]Linny[/name_f], [name_f]Adele[/name_f]