Maggie?

Revisiting, and I keep being drawn back to [name_f]Maggie[/name_f]. It’s traditional yet not super common these days, and to me it’s feisty yet friendly.

Only thing is, I don’t like [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] (too old fashioned) and [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] (too frilly) and just [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] won’t really work with my other name choices or indeed my son’s name (long classic with a short version, we use both with a roughly even split)

What other long forms of [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] are there?

Also, [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] vs [name_f]Maddie[/name_f]? I have [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] on my list and obviously can’t use both, which do you prefer and why?

2 Likes

I love Maggie! I definitely prefer it to Maddie. Both are sweet, but Maddie feels quite dated to the early 2000’s and a bit overdone. Maggie is pretty timeless, a little vintage and cozy and so sweet.

It could be a nickname for Margot (or Margo, or Margaux, whichever way you choose to spell it), Marguerite, Magdalen (or Magdalena, or just Magda), Marigold, Morgana and although I don’t think they’re your style, Merrigan and Madigan.

1 Like

I prefer [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] to [name_f]Maddie[/name_f]

Maybe these alternatives could work

[name_f]Marjorie[/name_f]
[name_f]Margot[/name_f]
[name_f]Madge[/name_f]
[name_f]Megara[/name_f]
[name_f]Megan[/name_f]
[name_f]Magdalene[/name_f]

1 Like

I prefer [name_f]Maggie[/name_f], and adore it just on its own, or as a nickname for [name_f]Margaret[/name_f].

There’s [name_f]Magdalene[/name_f], which almost gets you [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] & [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] in one.

Other ideas (probably repeats from others’ suggestions–I didn’t read the other responses):

[name_f]Magdalena[/name_f]
[name_u]Maguire[/name_u]
Margaux/Margo/Margot
[name_f]Margery[/name_f]
[name_f]Marigold[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f] (or something like that, heavy with G sound)
[name_f]Meagan[/name_f]
[name_f]Milagros[/name_f]
Morgan/Morgana/Morrigan

1 Like

I adore [name_f]Maggie[/name_f], and I definitely prefer it to [name_f]Maddie[/name_f]! Feels more classic and charming, to me.

I know a [name_f]Margot[/name_f] whom I call [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] sometimes. I love that as a long name for [name_f]Maggie[/name_f]! :blossom:

[name_u]Madigan[/name_u], [name_f]Morrigan[/name_f], [name_f]Merrigan[/name_f], [name_f]Megan[/name_f], [name_f]Morag[/name_f] come to mind for more long names. :herb:

1 Like

I like [name_f]Maggie[/name_f]. It’s sparky and fun but also classic!! It always reminds me of The Mill on the [name_f]Floss[/name_f] by [name_u]George[/name_u] [name_u]Eliot[/name_u] too and [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] is an interesting character.

Magdalen/e, [name_f]Marigold[/name_f], and [name_f]Margot[/name_f] are my fave [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] full names.

1 Like

I prefer [name_f]Maddie[/name_f] it feels softer and less dated.

But I love [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] as a name, but more because I love [name_f]Olia[/name_f] as a name/nn

Other suggestions
[name_f]Margot[/name_f]
[name_f]Magenta[/name_f]
[name_f]Magda[/name_f]
[name_f]Margaretta[/name_f]

1 Like

Prefer [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] to [name_f]Maddie[/name_f].

Magdalen!!!
Madigen

1 Like

[name_f]Maggie[/name_f]! I think [name_f]Maddie[/name_f] sounds too trendy, even though [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] is very elegant. Some longer forms are~

[name_f]Martha[/name_f] (bit of a stretch, but [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] is my nan’s NN for Martha)
[name_f]Margo[/name_f] / [name_f]Margot[/name_f] / [name_f]Margaux[/name_f]
[name_f]Marguerite[/name_f] / [name_f]Marguerita[/name_f]
[name_u]Morgan[/name_u] / [name_f]Morgana[/name_f]
[name_f]Megan[/name_f]
[name_f]Marigold[/name_f]
[name_f]Magda[/name_f]

1 Like

[name_f]Maggie[/name_f] is a great name! [name_f]Maddie[/name_f] is cute too, but I know of SO many girls named [name_u]Madison[/name_u] / [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] / [name_f]Madelyn[/name_f] (who often abbreviate to [name_f]Maddie[/name_f] or Madi), so [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] actually seems fresher now.
As for longer forms, how about [name_f]Magdalena[/name_f] or [name_f]Magda[/name_f]? Both very classic & elegant, to give an alternative option to the feisty, earthy nickname of [name_f]Maggie[/name_f]. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have [name_f]Magali[/name_f] on my list. [name_u]French[/name_u] name which is old fashioned (not in a good way) in [name_u]France[/name_u] but sounds fresh and sparkly to my ear. I adore it with [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] as a nn.

1 Like

Oh and I defs prefer [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] to [name_f]Maddie[/name_f] :blush:

I adore [name_f]Maggie[/name_f]! It just feels so cozy and warm and energetic and down-to-earth. I love it as a standalone, but I can understand why you’d want a longer form to fit with your son’s name! If [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] is too old-fashioned and [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] is too frilly, maybe [name_f]Margot[/name_f] would appeal? It’s still an old name obviously but definitely feels of-the-moment in 2022, and it’s more tailored than [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f]. I strongly prefer [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] to Maddie–I’ve just known so many Maddie’s (and Maddy’s, Maddi’s, Madi’s, etc., whose full names were all variations of Madison/Madelyn/Madeline/etc.) over the years that it doesn’t feel as special to me anymore.

Both are charming and feel pretty neutral to me, but I slightly prefer [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] (though it does bring to mind [name_f]Maggi[/name_f] seasoning)

Some ideas…
[name_f]Maxine[/name_f]
[name_f]Magdala[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Agnes[/name_f], [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Agnessa[/name_f], [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Agatha[/name_f], etc.
[name_f]Magdolna[/name_f]
Magalie