Magnus for a girl?

[name_m]Magnus[/name_m] for a girl- nickname [name_f]Maggie[/name_f].

What are your thoughts?

No… not yet. I’m saying yet because [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] and [name_f]Agnes[/name_f] are getting cool again, so maybe not now, but in the next few years, you might be able to stick it in the middle.

[name_m]Magnus[/name_m] even on a boy makes me think of Magnum.

What about [name_m]Magnes[/name_m]?
I also know a girl named [name_m]Madden[/name_m].

[name_m]Magnus[/name_m] is so very masculine so a definite no for me. My test is to ask myself if I would like to wear the name. I think it would be very annoying/embarrassing for people to assume you are a man when they have a message to call you, or others expect a man to stand up in a doctor’s office when that name is called.

No, no way.

I want to say yes, but the sounds are just too hard and it especially evokes images of Viking masculinity for me. I would just use [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] as a full name instead of one of the other longer versions don’t appeal.

Definite no for me. [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] is gorgeous if you’re looking to get to [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] other than [name_f]Margaret[/name_f]. There’s also [name_f]Magdalena[/name_f] and [name_f]Marigold[/name_f], which could work.

It’s cute, and there are so many masculine names that have become feminine anymore that I don’t think it’s so outré. If she doesn’t like it, she can always go by [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] or her middle name.

No, honestly, not even for a boy. It immediately makes me think of “magnum”. Though the nickname [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] is very cute! [name_m]How[/name_m] about [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f], [name_f]Margaret[/name_f], or just [name_f]Maggie[/name_f]?

I’m not a fan sorry. I don’t find it a pretty name for a girl. It reminds me of magnum. [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] is a lovely name so maybe stick with [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] on its own? Or other names where [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] could be the NN!

Okay, I can actually see the appeal. I kind of like it. It has a very cool vibe to it, but I worry that it is more the name of a fictional heroine than an actual child. I’m not a fan on the nn [name_f]Maggie[/name_f], if you are going to name her [name_m]Magnus[/name_m] I would stick to your guns and call her that.

It is also very masculine-sounding, though. I can see where others are coming from, and I do automatically think of Magnum…

I’m on the fence. I think it is very cool though.

I can see how some BNOG work, such as [name_u]Elliot[/name_u], [name_m]Madden[/name_m] etc. But [name_m]Magnus[/name_m] gets a no from me. [name_m]Way[/name_m] too masculine.

Absolutely not. Like others have said, it immediately reminds you of Magnum. Boy names are becoming more acceptable for girls but [name_m]Magnus[/name_m] just sounds harsh and overly masculine. When I hear this name I kind of just want to crinkle my nose because it honestly just sounds… I don’t want to say gross- but it brings up the image of a booger.

I do however think [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] is cute so I would really try to find an alternative that can still use [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] as a nickname.

I’m not fond of [name_m]Magnus[/name_m] at all, for either gender.

[name_m]Magnus[/name_m] is on my short list for a boy. In my mind, it’s absolutely masculine. So no.

I don’t like it. That being said I have a friend who planned on naming her son [name_m]Harold[/name_m] after her grandfather since the age of like ten. When it came time to start a family, they couldn’t concieve. After several rounds of IVF they finally got a baby girl- she didn’t like fem. Variants of [name_m]Harold[/name_m] so they used Herald and to my surprise is has grown on me. I agree the pp. If you are going to call her [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] just use [name_f]Maggie[/name_f], but if your heart is set on [name_m]Magnus[/name_m] use [name_m]Magnus[/name_m] and call her [name_m]Magnus[/name_m].

To me [name_m]Magnus[/name_m] is a very masculine name; I would not give it to a girl.

I clearly love [name_m]Magnus[/name_m] as a boy’s name. “[name_f]Do[/name_f] you personally like this name, even on a boy” was not the OP’s question, and I try to be very careful about telling people that, in my opinion, a name they are considering is flat-out terrible.

[name_m]Magnus[/name_m] is one of the most masculine names I can think of. Sorry but it’s a hard no from me on a girl. If you want to call her [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] there are so many ways to achieve that!

I have to agree with the previous poster who said [name_m]Magnus[/name_m] is one of the most masculine names I can think of. I just don’t see how it would work on a girl. It’s pretty out-there for a boy, although I do like it for a boy.

I agree with everyone saying [name_m]Magnus[/name_m] is very masculine. There are feminine forms of it, Magna and Magnea. There is also [name_f]Magda[/name_f].