Magnus

My husband loves the name [name_m]Magnus[/name_m], and honestly so do I, but I have two major hesitations.

1. Our last name rhymes with [name_u]Paris[/name_u], so we’re dealing with a bit of a rhyme. [name_m]Magnus[/name_m] [name_u]Paris[/name_u]. :confused:

2. I’m concerned he’d end up being called [name_f]Maggie[/name_f], which is not a nickname I’d be fond of for a boy.

Give me your honest thoughts. I’m not sure if I’m overthinking the rhyming part, or if I’m not the only who doesn’t like the sound of it.

I think [name_m]Magnus[/name_m] is a great name! I’d use the nickname [name_u]Gus[/name_u].

[name_m]Magnus[/name_m] [name_u]Paris[/name_u] may not be the best flow, but it’s not horrible, so if you love [name_m]Magnus[/name_m], I’d say use it!

I love [name_m]Magnus[/name_m]. I don’t think anyone would just call him [name_f]Maggie[/name_f]. I like [name_u]Gus[/name_u] or [name_m]Mac[/name_m] as nn.

I see what you mean about [name_m]Magnus[/name_m] [name_u]Paris[/name_u]. It’s not ideal, but I don’t think it’s a dealbreaker.

Like the previous posters, I agree that [name_m]Magnus[/name_m] [name_u]Paris[/name_u] still works despite not being flawless and that he most likely won’t be called [name_f]Maggie[/name_f]! I like the suggestions of [name_u]Gus[/name_u] and [name_m]Mac[/name_m] as nicknames, though I don’t think you need a nickname. [name_m]Magnus[/name_m] sounds like a name that kids would find cool, I don’t think they’d shorten it and even if they did you or little [name_m]Magnus[/name_m] could just correct them.

I think [name_m]Magnus[/name_m] [name_u]Paris[/name_u] sounds fine! Something like [name_m]Ferris[/name_m] [name_u]Paris[/name_u] would be a no go (:p), but [name_m]Magnus[/name_m] works okay.
I know lots of people whose first & last names have the same endings.

Personally, I would never start calling a [name_m]Magnus[/name_m] by [name_f]Maggie[/name_f], and hopefully that will be true across the board. [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] seems all girl to me. There are other nicknames you could choose instead, if people insist on using a nickname for him. I love [name_u]Gus[/name_u]!

I’m not a fan of [name_m]Magnus[/name_m]. It feels too snobby

I love [name_m]Magnus[/name_m]! I don’t think he’d get [name_f]Maggie[/name_f]. [name_m]Magnus[/name_m] [name_u]Paris[/name_u] isn’t ideal but I’ve known people whose names are much worse and they’ve done fine.

See I don’t get the snobby vibe at all. DH and I both have a background competing in strength sports, so the immediate connection we make is to the Icelandic strongman, [name_m]Magnus[/name_m] [name_f]Ver[/name_f] Magnusson. :smiley:

I think the two name are far enough apart that they don’t sound rhyme-y.

I really like [name_m]Magnus[/name_m]. I don’t think it would dawn on me to call a [name_m]Magnus[/name_m] [name_f]Maggie[/name_f]. Definitely [name_u]Max[/name_u], though.

I love [name_m]Magnus[/name_m]. It is not great with surname but not so bad as to rule it out. Nicknames [name_u]Gus[/name_u], [name_m]Mac[/name_m] or [name_u]Max[/name_u] are also great.

I would never think to call a [name_m]Magnus[/name_m] [name_f]Maggie[/name_f]. Possible nn’s [name_u]Gus[/name_u], [name_m]Mac[/name_m], [name_u]Max[/name_u], [name_m]Manny[/name_m], Maz.

Sometimes it’s harder finding a name that you both love and agree on, that alone often trumps ideal flow.

I love [name_m]Magnus[/name_m] as is and wouldn’t look to use a nickname. It’s strong and handsome. [name_m]Magnus[/name_m] [name_u]Paris[/name_u] isn’t perfect but it depends on how much it bothers you. For me, if it is the one you love the most I think you should use it. Good luck!

I love [name_m]Magnus[/name_m], and I actually really like [name_m]Magnus[/name_m] [name_u]Paris[/name_u]! I don’t think the nickname would be an issue, either.

I don’t think there is anything wrong with [name_m]Magnus[/name_m] [name_u]Paris[/name_u]! I also think the nickname [name_u]Gus[/name_u] is a really cute idea!

Thanks for the input, everyone! You’ve removed a lot of doubt!