Maiden Names as Middle Names

I really like the idea of using maiden names as middle names. I think it’s a great way to honor your name and your family, but, I am not sure if it could work with all last names. I mean it can work with “American” last names, but I am a Russian Jew and so is my husband. Our last names are both 9 letter, 3 syllable last names ending in “sky.” Is that too much to inflict on a child? I mean I agree that [name]Baby[/name] [name]Parker[/name] [name]Broderick[/name] or [name]Baby[/name] [name]Garner[/name] Affleck is ok, but is [name]Baby[/name] Ysky Ksky?

Any thoughts??

I like the tradition, but I agree, some names just seem unfit. My name is unfit, for example, and it’s not even long. I wonder if you could find variants of it that seem milder. I hate to even suggest anglicizing an exotic full name, especially when this was the fate of so many immigrants at one time. When I look through my own family tree, I feel so much like I am cherry-picking usable names that appeal to me and not really feeling the connections to those. [name]Even[/name] in relation, it’s distant, it feels like choosing a random name from someone else’s family tree.

I think I would pass if they both end in -sky, which I feel is a shame to have to do.

My own maiden name was [name]Hewett[/name], which is probably from the French and means “little [name]Hugh[/name]”. I could have used [name]Hugh[/name], I suppose? I quite like it now, but didn’t at the time I had my boys. However, I think surnames make great middle names - a great tradition in [name]Scotland[/name], as we have discussed before. Some names from my family tree would be great, I think - [name]Ambrose[/name], [name]Morgan[/name], [name]Evan/name, [name]Fairchild[/name], Lodwick, Blackmoor. Family trees are such a huge untapped source of names for everyone if we look hard enough. What about your maiden name without the “ski” at the end? Or your mother’s maiden name? delve some further! I had a Victorian ancestor called [name]Christopher[/name] [name]Valentine[/name] [name]Smith[/name]! love it!

What if you use [name]Sky/name as a middle name? Would it work?

I can’t use my maiden name, either. 9 letter, 4 syllable VERY Italian last name…

Lol so u feel my pain! Yes I have thought of [name]Sky/name or Skaya which are cool but don’t make u think of my maiden name at all. Though Skaya (for a girl) would probably be a good conversation starter lol

Yup! I totally understand! I wish it wouldn’t be weird. And there’s NO [name]WAY[/name] the poor child could do with a hyphenated name (for us). They’d sure get made fun of! My married name sounds like [name]Birch[/name] and I was called Mozzarella in High School because of my maiden name. Combined, they would just be awful! LOL

As you say, I don’t think it works. My surname is also an Italian name - it has a slightly silly meaning and is really uncommon, even in [name]Italy[/name], so I just don’t think it works as a mn. In fact, I will be quite glad to lose it one day as my surname (but don’t tell my Dad!).

[name]How[/name] did you figure out the meaning to your last name? I think that would be cool to know! I was actually sad to lose my last name :frowning: I think its WAAAY cooler! :wink:

I like the suggestion of [name]Sky/name but I can see that it would lose the meaning of the maiden name. Still a good suggestion. My maiden name, the name I went by all through school isn’t my birth name. My mom got married to my step-dad when I was one year old and the name just grew with me. I actually like it better than my birth name. Maybe there are some other surnames in you family tree that might work better as middle names but at the same still represent you and your side of the family.

[name]How[/name] did you figure out the meaning to your last name? I think that would be cool to know! I was actually sad to lose my last name :frowning: I think its WAAAY cooler! ;)[/quote]

My dad still speaks Italian and I lived there for a year so I was told the meaning a lot (as I mentioned, it’s not a common surname) - the word means something along the lines of “a little breeze”. What we only found out recently is that the same word in Portuguese apparently is slang for a dirty joke! I do understand wanting to keep some of your name, but I would be glad not to have to spell it out, explain prn again, etc. I had hoped to keep the main Scottish clan name on my mum’s side as a son’s mn to keep my side of the family in there, and I thought it was perfect that it was my bf’s first name so it combined both sides. Unfortunately, we broke up recently, and now I don’t think I’ll be able to use it because of the “no ex’s names” rule. So I am going to have to find another way to include my family names… Not something I need to worry about for a while though!

i think it’s great!

I think the concept is a good one, but I agree that I wouldn’t do -sky and then -sky. My original maiden name was a -sky and my family actually dropped that part in the '40s. What if you kept the part before the -sky? e.g. instead of Zadinsky, [name]Zadin[/name]?

Also, on this topic, I was wondering what you think of more remote maiden names. For example, I really love my maiden name and we picked a girl’s name where it works great for a middle name. However, my maiden name starts with M, and our favorite boy’s name right now is [name]Anselm[/name]. Too much mushing of the syllables. I’m not a fan of my mother’s maiden name at all, so then I thought – what about my mother-in-law’s maiden name? I think that [name]Anselm[/name] Trehel works quite nicely.

I’m hoping to get this started as a trend – let’s get rid of nightmarish hyphenated last names (which don’t extend beyond a generation or so anyway) and to Darwinian natural selection of the best maiden names in our family histories! This lets us get some middle name variety too.

Onward-ho, pseudo-feminists!

My middle name is my mom’s maiden name. I wouldn’t recommend giving it to a girl. I pretty much hate it, and never tell anyone my middle name. [name]Just[/name] so you know. But I think that it can be cute on boys.

Well my middle name is my mom’s maiden name and I love it! We have enough Roses, [name]Grace[/name], Elizabeths, Anns, and [name]Maries[/name].

I would suggest looking for another name in your tree. Or just go with your name. Honestly I could count the times I’ve heard someone say my full name on one hand. I usually write it in the blank.

I have a similar, English, version of your situation. [name]Both[/name] mine and my husband’s names end in -son. I wouldn’t use those together.