Main Character Needs a Name Change - Need Help!

First of all, hello. I’m not usually on this board, but as I feel I have my future baby names sorted now, I need to get back to my writing.

I have a first draft completed of a novel and the main character’s name is [name]Harper[/name]. That feels totally unusable now due to the Beckhams, so I want to find something different.

Background - it’s set in Iowan in an unspecified time. I want it to be timeless, anywhere from the 50s to the present as there is a strong sense of magical realism about the book. The main character is 17, finishing up high school and not sure what to do with herself after she graduates. She’s needed by her widowed mother to care for her much younger siblings, but her mother wants her to go off and got to university and have a life because she gave hers up for her children.

Anyway to the names.

The mother is [name]Irene[/name]
Older siblings who are no longer at home are [name]Thomas[/name] and [name]Marie[/name]
Younger siblings that she cares for are [name]Francesca[/name] and [name]Isidore[/name] - [name]Frannie[/name] and [name]Izzie[/name]

I want the mother’s naming style to have gotten more indulgent with her younger children.

So I need to rename my main character. I want something either unisex or something a little fanciful that can have a unisex or more familiar nickname.

Ideas I currently have are

Jorah ([name]Jori[/name]) -
[name]Pandora[/name] ([name]Pan[/name]) - is this too loaded, the whole opening [name]Pandora[/name]'s Box theme, though it has nothing to do with the story, will it lead to expectations?
[name]Persephone[/name] (Seph)
[name]Seraphine[/name] ([name]Finn[/name])
[name]Tamsin[/name] (Sini)

Any of these work for you? I am open to any other ideas.

I’m not going to give a physical description or a character description as I don’t feel they have any bearing on her name. I’m more wanting something that feels slightly magical and right with [name]Frannie[/name] and [name]Izzie[/name]'s names.

Thanks for your help.

[name]Helena[/name] spings to mind for some reason. It seems to bridge the traditional names with the fanciful names.

[name]Penelope[/name]
[name]Helen[/name] or [name]Helena[/name]
[name]Belle[/name]
[name]Catalina[/name]
[name]Katerina[/name]
[name]Lyra[/name]

[name]Wilhelmina[/name]
[name]Henrietta[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name]
[name]Alexandria[/name]

Think I’m going with [name]Pan[/name] at the moment. I just feels right. Changing [name]Frannie[/name] to [name]Frankie[/name] to avoid the [name]Fran[/name]/[name]Pan[/name] thing. Not using [name]Pandora[/name] in the novel, but in my head that’s her name. Anyone have another longer name for [name]Pan[/name] that isn’t too unrecognisable?

The only name I can think of for [name]Pan[/name] would be [name]Pansy[/name], which is kind of flowery… :wink: I don’t think that’s what you’re going for though…

I immediately thought [name]Quinn[/name], for whatever reason.

These are a bit of a stretch, but I’ll put them anyway. Maybe there could be some sort of back story to the nickname?

[name]Paloma[/name]-love this one
[name]Patience[/name]
[name]Pari[/name]
[name]Penelope[/name]
[name]Philippa[/name]
[name]Petunia[/name]
[name]Peyton[/name]
[name]Peony[/name]
[name]Paulette[/name]
[name]Paige[/name]