Make Your Case!

I’ve done a thread similar to this in the past and it was so helpful in me realizing what names I loved despite people’s objections to them and what names my love was more easily swayed on. I’ve been a bit bored with my combos lately so I’ve collected some new ideas, put some favorites on the chopping block, and dug through my long list for some overlooked gems.

I want you to go through the list, choose a few names, and either tell me why they are the perfect names for my list or tell me why they deserve to burn in a fiery hellfire. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO RATE EVERY NAME ON THE LIST! That would take you ages! You can pick only names you love, only names you hate, a little of both, but please don’t feel like you have to evaluate everything in depth. That’s my daunting task :wink:

Last time, I told you guys that you could be as mean as you want. Being the gems you all are, I didn’t feel like anyone abused that power, and I even found myself telling many people to stop apologizing for telling me exactly what I asked to hear! So I’ll extend that privilege again.

The list:
[name_f]Reyna[/name_f] (I won’t spell it any other way)
[name_u]Ridley[/name_u]
[name_f]Sabrina[/name_f]
Saela (pn. SAY-la, I won’t spell it any other way)
[name_f]Bryony[/name_f]
[name_f]Zelda[/name_f]
[name_u]Vivian[/name_u] / [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] (tell me if you have a preference! I say both the same)
[name_u]Fable[/name_u]
[name_u]Indigo[/name_u]
[name_f]Linnea[/name_f] (pn. li-NAY-uh)
[name_u]Piper[/name_u]
[name_f]Hazel[/name_f]
[name_f]Ziva[/name_f]
[name_f]Lyra[/name_f]
[name_f]Cosima[/name_f] (pn. CO-si-ma)
[name_f]Megara[/name_f] (pn. MEG-er-a)
[name_f]Siena[/name_f] (I won’t spell it [name_f]Sienna[/name_f])
[name_f]Viola[/name_f]
[name_f]Liv[/name_f]
Lillevi (pn. LIL-le-vee)
[name_u]Ember[/name_u]
[name_f]Xanthe[/name_f]
[name_u]Darcy[/name_u]
[name_f]Daphne[/name_f]
[name_u]Holland[/name_u]
[name_f]Lilith[/name_f]
[name_f]Mabel[/name_f]
[name_f]Nola[/name_f]
[name_f]Odette[/name_f]

If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask!
Thank you!

What a great idea!
Firstly, I always thought [name_f]Megara[/name_f] was a great name but I was always afraid too many people would pick up on the Disney association. I love the nn [name_f]Meg[/name_f] too!

Next [name_f]Bryony[/name_f]. I used to like this name but if you have read the book Atonement you will probably understand the reasoning behind my change of heart. [name_m]Long[/name_m] story short: she kinda ruined two peoples lives :woman_shrugging:t3:

Finally [name_f]Odette[/name_f]. I love this name with it’s [name_f]Swan[/name_f] [name_u]Lake[/name_u] connections and [name_u]French[/name_u] style.

2 Likes

Reyna ~ makes me think of [name_f]Reyna[/name_f] from the Heroes of [name_m]Olympus[/name_m] series, which is a good association. I don’t love it (there’s just something about it and similar names that simply does not vibe with me, but you have the best spelling.
Saela ~ I feel like I should hate this, but it’s actually very pretty.
[name_f]Bryony[/name_f] ~ [name_f]Lovely[/name_f]! I like that you have the spelling with the Y as well.
[name_f]Zelda[/name_f] ~ I love [name_f]Zelda[/name_f] so much! It’s familiar but unusual, and sounds so pretty and fantastical.
[name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] ~ I prefer this spelling, even though it’s a bit associated with [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] Westwood. I just don’t like the feel of it, which isn’t a good argument - it gives me bad vibes. You might get Pretty Woman a lot too.
[name_f]Ziva[/name_f] ~ reminds me of the Zika virus (and also [name_f]Ziva[/name_f] from NCIS, and I never liked her)
[name_f]Lyra[/name_f] ~ I love this, even if it’s quite popular. It has a lyrical sound, and I love that it’s a constellation.
[name_f]Viola[/name_f] ~ Twelfth [name_u]Night[/name_u] is one of my favourites and [name_f]Viola[/name_f] makes for a delightful name. I like that it’s musical.
[name_u]Holland[/name_u] ~ this is… fine. It just feels a little disappointing, nect to the lovely, foresty-urban-magic feel of your other names. It sounds okay. It’s a place. It reminds me of hollandaise sauce. You can do better.

A collection of names from your list that I don’t know how to comment on specifically, but adore nonetheless~
[name_u]Fable[/name_u], [name_u]Indigo[/name_u], [name_f]Linnea[/name_f], [name_f]Cosima[/name_f], [name_f]Megara[/name_f], [name_f]Mabel[/name_f], [name_f]Odette[/name_f]

2 Likes

LOVE:
[name_f]Reyna[/name_f]
[name_f]Vivienne[/name_f]
[name_f]Linnea[/name_f]
[name_f]Odette[/name_f]

Like:
[name_u]Fable[/name_u]
[name_u]Piper[/name_u]
[name_f]Lyra[/name_f]
[name_f]Mable[/name_f]

I don’t know why I love/like these and dislike the rest, so I guess I’m not much help.

2 Likes

I have time so I’ll give you some thoughts

Reyna - I find it a bit clunky
Ridley- I quite like it. Intriguing and distinct
Sabrina- bright and lovely
Saela-I like it. Great sounds
Bryony- strong but floral. I like it
Zelda-i find it a little harsh
Vivian / Vivienne-I prefer [name_u]Vivian[/name_u]. Sleek and stylish
Fable-Intriguing and sweet
Indigo-bright, bold and lovely
Linnea - sweet and lovely
Piper-brilliant and lively
Hazel-warm and calm
Ziva- i find it a bit awkward
Lyra-celestial and magical
Cosima- starry and sweet
Megara -bold and strong
Siena-stylish and warm
Viola-distinct and lovely
Liv- short and sweet
Lillevi - I find it a bit awkward
Ember-glowing and gentle
Xanthe- i find it a bit clunky
Darcy-charming and sweet
Daphne-floral and vintage
Holland- it’s okay but doesnt wow me
Lilith-sleek and different
Mabel-warm and cosy
Nola-sweet and fresh
Odette-stylish and distinct

2 Likes

Names that I love!
[name_u]Ridley[/name_u]-no reason but for some reason I really enjoy this name
[name_f]Sabrina[/name_f]-my oldest sister’s name, it’s just so pleasing and beautiful
[name_f]Vivienne[/name_f]-the spelling I prefer, I just love this one!
[name_u]Piper[/name_u]-it feels so feminine but spunky
[name_u]Darcy[/name_u]-I’m a Pride & Prejudice fan first and a person second, I love it on boys or girls
[name_f]Daphne[/name_f]-[name_m]Just[/name_m] plain beautiful! [name_u]Love[/name_u] the Scooby Doo connection!
[name_f]Mabel[/name_f]-[name_u]Love[/name_u] the gravity falls & how it feels vintage but fresh!

3 Likes

@ejray Thank you! As I said, this style of thread served me well last time. [name_f]Megara[/name_f] is definitely inspired by [name_f]Meg[/name_f] from Hercules! I’m a huge Disney nerd and she’s one of my favorite characters of all time. I’m completely okay with people picking up on the association (almost counting on it so the pronunciation won’t be as difficult lol). I haven’t read Atonement but I did go and read the synopsis. I completely understand how that could ruin the name for others. Lastly, you hit the nail on the head about [name_f]Odette[/name_f]. I’m a dancer so I love the [name_f]Swan[/name_f] [name_u]Lake[/name_u] connection as well.

@rosepip [name_f]Reyna[/name_f] is completely inspired by Heroes of [name_m]Olympus[/name_m]! You’ll notice I have [name_u]Piper[/name_u] and [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] here too :grimacing:. That’s why I won’t consider another spelling, because it would lose the connection to the character. I’m surprised you think [name_f]Lyra[/name_f] is popular because it ranks #680 in the US.

@may.rose don’t worry! Anything you can give me puts me a step further than where I was before posting this thread :blush:

@Greyblue, Wow thank you!

@anon68906791 I love [name_f]Violet[/name_f] too but I love how [name_f]Viola[/name_f] is more uncommon!

@sophia_elena [name_f]Gravity[/name_f] Falls is what made me love [name_f]Mabel[/name_f]!

1 Like

I did spot [name_u]Piper[/name_u] and [name_f]Hazel[/name_f]! I’m very glad to hear that the link is deliberate. [name_f]Lyra[/name_f] ranks #142 in the UK, and I’ve encountered several, which I why I mentioned the popularity.

1 Like

oh come on, how are we supposed to choose if your names are so great?

:heart: :
saela - i’ve never seen this spelling, but yes???!!
indigo - trendy but cute cute with great nicknames
lyra - i love . like a lot.

:+1: :
ridley - interesting, familiar but uncommon, just cool
reyna - boss girl
fable - little girl in an enchanted forest vibes
piper
lillevi - interesting!
darcy

:hocho: :broken_heart: :
zelda - just… meh
bryony
linnea
megara - sounds like a villain (even if there was that nice disney girl)
odette - little grandmother
lilith - ft. brother lucifer (i’m sorry :rofl: like i’m sure she wasn’t even that bad, but i just can’t go there. but hey, kickbutt girl who takes no …crap from nobody?)

to me: vivian = VEEveeuhn , vivienne = veeveeEHN

1 Like

The list:
[name_f]Reyna[/name_f]- No.
[name_u]Ridley[/name_u]- No.
[name_f]Sabrina[/name_f]- witch. Cool name. The chilling adventures one is very self-invovled and sucks. Terrible role model. The 90’s one is cool. Pretty name.
Saela- weird. But I’m kind of here for it. It’s OK.
[name_f]Bryony[/name_f]- irony. No.
[name_f]Zelda[/name_f]- gamer girl. [name_m]Constant[/name_m] reference too the games and there is fan fiction not appropriate for children regarding this name. No.
[name_f]Vivienne[/name_f]- this spelling. Really like this name. [name_m]Don[/name_m]’t love it for me but I love it for others. Good name.
[name_u]Fable[/name_u]- are they a librarian? Are you? No? Then no. Also stable like horses.
[name_u]Indigo[/name_u]- pet name. See [name_f]Hazel[/name_f].
[name_f]Linnea[/name_f]- see [name_f]Xanthe[/name_f]. No.
[name_u]Piper[/name_u]- rats. Plumbing. [name_f]Tea[/name_f] kettle. No.
[name_f]Hazel[/name_f]- boring. Common. If they don’t have hazel eyes or if that’s not a favorite color it’s just weird. Like naming your kid “brown haired” when their blonde.
[name_f]Ziva[/name_f]- NCIS. Not my favorite character.
[name_f]Lyra[/name_f]- I know this as a surname so its a no as a FN.
[name_f]Cosima[/name_f]- see [name_f]Xanthe[/name_f].
[name_f]Megara[/name_f]- LOVE. [name_u]Strong[/name_u] character.
[name_f]Siena[/name_f]- see [name_f]Xanthe[/name_f].
[name_f]Viola[/name_f]- she better play the instrument otherwise whats the point?
[name_f]Liv[/name_f]- NN not FN. Super common. Boring.
Lillevi- sounds like a pill for depressed people. Or IUD.
[name_u]Ember[/name_u]- boring.
[name_f]Xanthe[/name_f]- nothing great about this. It’s blah.
[name_u]Darcy[/name_u]- I can’t. [name_m]Just[/name_m] no.
[name_f]Daphne[/name_f]- Scooby-Doo is not a bad association. She was a black belt, solved crimes and got kidnapped a bunch without losing her cool. Her mental health is strong. Plus she was a femine/fashionable gal who held her own. Like [name_f]Elle[/name_f] [name_m]Woods[/name_m]. There’s also the goddess connection too. Good name.
[name_u]Holland[/name_u]- I hate place/country names. If the kid looks up their name it’s instant politics, gossip, etc.
[name_f]Lilith[/name_f]- LOVE. The stories are awesome and has great lessons. If anyone makes fun of the kid just lean into the “demon” part and she’ll rule the playground.
[name_f]Mabel[/name_f]- syrup. [name_f]Mabel[/name_f]/Mapel are too close. Also lapels. It’s a no. Unless you’re really into [name_f]Canada[/name_f] and want a subtle reference.
[name_f]Nola[/name_f]- this stands for [name_u]New[/name_u] Orleans, [name_f]Louisiana[/name_f] so i can’t think of it as a person’s name. It’s a no.
[name_f]Odette[/name_f]- because of the ballet it will always be associated with grace, beauty, and athleticism. Great name.

1 Like

Reyna - Matriarchal
[name_f]Sabrina[/name_f] - The teenage witch
[name_m]Bryon[/name_m] - Gorgeous
[name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] - [name_f]Lovely[/name_f]
[name_f]Viola[/name_f] - Musical
[name_f]Liv[/name_f] - More of a nickname, than a name
[name_u]Ember[/name_u] - Stunning
[name_u]Darcy[/name_u] - Get [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_u]Bennett[/name_u]!
[name_f]Daphne[/name_f] - [name_m]Apollo[/name_m] sucks
[name_f]Mabel[/name_f] - [name_f]Gravity[/name_f] falls
[name_f]Lilith[/name_f] - YESSSSS
[name_f]Odette[/name_f] - Beautiful.

1 Like

First off, i really love your style, maybe because it’s similiar to mine.
Anyway, let’s do this.

Sabrina: It surprises me that i actually like this one quite a bit, despite the connection to [name_f]Sabrina[/name_f] the Teenage Witch. It looks and sound lovely. I just find it hard to picture it on an adult.
Bryony: I am torn to this one. On one hand, it is a cool flower name with lots of character. On other hand, it kind of looks like a “phony” variation of [name_f]Brianna[/name_f].
Zelda: Same reasons a [name_f]Sabrina[/name_f] above.
Vivian/Vivienne: I like both but prefers [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f], because of the french flair and elegance.
Fable: One of my favorite word names, it’s so cute and really makes you think of fantasy adventures and fairytales.
Hazel: It’s a lovely name, but it’s also kind of boring in comparison of other names on the list.
Ziva: [name_u]Love[/name_u] the sound, spelling and meaning. For some reason, this name seems perfect for you.
Lyra: Pretty and strong, easy to spell and pronounce. A winner.
Cosima: Gosh, i LOVE LOVE LOVE this one so much, it’s my top favorite girl name. It makes me think of deep blue oceans and the vast, eternal cosmos.
Viola: I almost named my daughter this. It’s a very elegant name, i prefer it over [name_f]Violet[/name_f] actually.
Liv: Another contender for my daughter. It’s short and to the point with a great meaning.
Xanthe: Another big favorite name of mine. It makes me think of the flower [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] for some reason.
Odette: I usually am not a fan of -ette endings, but [name_f]Odette[/name_f] is an exception. It’s very sweet.

3 Likes

@aren thank you! You’re so sweet. [name_u]Vivian[/name_u] and [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] have always been pronounced the same (VIV-ee-en) in my experience, and I’ve met multiple people with the name. I’m in the US though. I actually like the connection with [name_f]Lilith[/name_f], I see it as a positive more than anything.

@PRSing wow lots to say here! I think it’s clear that my style just isn’t yours. And that’s fine. I’m going to respond to a couple things though.
[name_f]My[/name_f] mom and I watch Chilling Adventures together so that connection to [name_f]Sabrina[/name_f] is a positive one. I’ve never seen the original.
I’m not a librarian but I am a writer, as was my great-grandmother, so [name_u]Fable[/name_u] has that connection.
I totally agree with you about [name_f]Lilith[/name_f]!
I love country/place names so that’s not a negative to me. I also “pass the test” in that I’ve been to [name_u]Holland[/name_u] before (Netherlands and Michigan haha)

@Genevieve101 I don’t understand the references to everything you listed lol but thank you!

@SofiaSweden thank you! I love that imagery for [name_f]Cosima[/name_f] :heart_eyes:. Makes me love it even more!

Love
[name_f]Sabrina[/name_f] - severely underused in my opinion, easily recognizable but not irrevocably tied to the teenage witch though it does have a somewhat magical vibe because of it
[name_u]Indigo[/name_u] - not sure if it matches the vibe for a lot of our choices though
[name_f]Zelda[/name_f] - I get more 20s flapper vibes than witchy vibes but if it was paired with some of your other witchier names I could see that as well
[name_u]Piper[/name_u] - I love it but it feels a bit common in your list
[name_f]Lyra[/name_f] - I adore it, literary and astrological ties make it very dynamic
[name_f]Cosima[/name_f] - love this one, feels magical, cosmic, and very calm
[name_f]Megara[/name_f] - [name_f]Meg[/name_f] is my fav Disney “princess” she’s great but I do find the name kind of grating
[name_f]Viola[/name_f] - love the sound of this, like absolutely adore it, but the fact that it’s a Spanish conjugation of the verb meaning “to rape” is why I crossed it off my own list
[name_f]Daphne[/name_f] - feels so light and joyous
[name_u]Holland[/name_u] - love this one but it also feels a little off on your list
[name_f]Lilith[/name_f] - moody and dramatic, amazing

Favorite pairings:
[name_f]Zelda[/name_f] & [name_f]Lilith[/name_f]
[name_f]Sabrina[/name_f] & [name_f]Daphne[/name_f]
[name_f]Cosima[/name_f] & [name_f]Lyra[/name_f]

1 Like

Meant Byony

1 Like

I pretty much like all your names so I shall pick the ones I don’t like and say why lol.
[name_f]Reyna[/name_f] makes me think of renal failure.
[name_f]Liv[/name_f]- its way too short and unfinished.
[name_u]Holland[/name_u], it’s not pretty for a girl at all.
Sorry :neutral_face:

1 Like

@jonquils thank you!

@LoneStar I completely agree about [name_f]Sabrina[/name_f]! The witchy vibe is a positive but it has so much more character to me as well.
I have seen the “to rape” thing about [name_f]Viola[/name_f]. I believe it is pronounced differently? (I don’t know Spanish, unfortunately) but it is something to consider. I would like to travel a lot and wouldn’t want that to be an issue if we go somewhere that speaks Spanish.
I love that you paired [name_f]Sabrina[/name_f] and [name_f]Daphne[/name_f] together because that’s the sister set in The Sisters Grimm which was one of my favorite book series as a kid!

@anon25197097 thank you! I asked for the commentary so don’t apologize!

1 Like

How did you get all your names in blue?

Zelda - I grew up with the [name_u]Legend[/name_u] of [name_f]Zelda[/name_f], it was a big inspiration in my childhood, so I’ve always loved it. And although it kept the magical feeling from the games for me, it’s definitely not only that. I love the Z sound at the beginning (and the [name_m]Zel[/name_m] part is so pretty). But [name_f]Zelda[/name_f] as a whole has such a solid presence, not only in sound, but meaning as well. It’s a strong name that isn’t weighed down by length, and is unmistakably feminine. Pronounciation is easy, and most people have heard of it, but it isn’t common… I don’t know, I just think it’s neat :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

@JessAnn0422 I think it just happens when you copy and paste the list when the names have been linked!

@KJGlitter [name_f]Zelda[/name_f] is a new love of mine! It does put me off a bit that I’m not a gamer at all so I don’t want to give off the impression that I’m a huge [name_u]Legend[/name_u] of [name_f]Zelda[/name_f] fan. The name has such a witchy vibe, and I’m so far removed from that world that I honestly forgot about the game until this thread.