making Pearl her middle name?

[name_f]My[/name_f] husband I have been thinking of putting [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] in the middle name spot for a while now.

DH totally adores the idea, because my name means pearl. And he really likes the name as well.

I also like the name [name_f]Pearl[/name_f], and the sentiment behind it is cute. But somehow, I feel a bit… selfish. Because we did not give one of our sons a name that relates do DH’s name.

And I always found naming your child after yourself a bit… weird. I know this wouldn’t really be naming her after myself, but still.

Please tell me what you think about this, so I have something I can hold onto and consider when I am debating this with myself.

It sounds like it was a happy coincidence that [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] connects to your name? If that’s the case, I think it’s fine, it’s not a direct tribute. Besides, if your children follow convention, your sons will have your family surname for life, but your daughter may take on a husband’s name. If so, the middle is her link to you and her family? [name_m]Just[/name_m] a thought. I absolutely love [name_f]Pearl[/name_f], much more than [name_u]Wren[/name_u].

I don’t think it’s conceited or selfish at all to give your child a name that has the same meaning as yours. A lot of people do that, or even use the exact name or a variant of it. But if it makes you feel uncomfortable, you have the right to say that and choose something else. [name_f]Maelie[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] and [name_f]Maelie[/name_f] [name_u]Wren[/name_u] would both be lovely.

Like Schickler already said, your boys will probably be tied namewise by their surname, so I think it’s really sweet for your daughter to have a name that ties her to the family even when she lost her maiden name.

I suggest you give it some thought and maybe sleep a few nights on it, but don’t push yourself into using it if you are still uncomfortable with it in the end.

This is what I was thinking!

[name_f]Pearl[/name_f] is gorgeous. If i were you I would make it her first name.

I say go for it! I don’t think it means you’re naming her after you at all (though I wholeheartedly agree with you, I would feel too strange naming a kid after myself). It’s more of a lucky connection to your name (which is [name_f]Margaret[/name_f], I take it?). [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] is beautiful, and I wouldn’t worry about your son- I don’t think he’ll mind, it isn’t as though you chose his name carelessly.

If you both like it, then use it. [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] is a lovely name, and the connection with [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] is very subtle.

100% agree. [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] is absolutely gorgeous!

I think it’s admirable and right to treat each child equitably. Only you can decide whether naming your daughter [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] feels just and fair to your other children. If you are feeling guilty or hesitant for any reason, perhaps, you should heed this feeling. Otherwise, would you consider adding a meaningful middle name to your son’s name as well as using [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] for your daughter’s middle name ( in order to make the decision one you can live with at peace and clear conscience).

PS I love the middle name [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] !! And I don’t think it’s weird to use a name that pays homage to parents :slight_smile:

[name_f]Maelie[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] is beautiful!! I don’t think it is selfish at all. And, like previous users have said, your son will likely keep his surname and your daughter won’t. Having [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] as a middle name can be a nice story for her and rememberance to you and her family, like your son will have with his surname.

Poster Schickler nailed it on this! I think it is nice that you and your daughter will share a name in a special way. Your daughter may also wish to pass this sweet name to her daughter i e. another name meaning [name_f]Pearl[/name_f]. [name_u]Wren[/name_u] also goes well with the first!

I agree with the others. I think it is a lovely connection, but don’t push yourself.

[name_f]IMO[/name_f], it is a very sweet and subtle connection. Nothing to be worried about.

Thanks all.

I love [name_f]Pearl[/name_f]. It’s a very pretty name. I prefer as first name because people will only call and know you by first name.

It would be a HUGE waste not to name her [name_f]Pearl[/name_f]. You are eternally linking her to you and she will always look back and remember her mother and her connection with you. [name_f]DO[/name_f] IT!

I say go for it!

Thanks people, I wil take all of your comments and suggestions into consideration.