Malcolm Johnson?

We are expecting boy/girl twins in a few months and are having a very hard time coming up with a name for the boy. Part of the problem is our last name is [name]Johnson[/name] so we don’t want the first name to be anything too common. My husband’s current favorite is [name]Malcolm[/name]. I really like the name too but I’m wondering if it goes well with our last name. Is it too rhyme-y? I’m starting to have second thoughts because my mom and sister don’t like it, although they like the possible nickname [name]Mac[/name].

The other issue is that our current favorite girl’s name is [name]Evelyn[/name] and that really does rhyme with [name]Johnson[/name]. When you put the two names together it’s just so many syllables! (We may reconsider that name too but I can post a thread in a different forum).

We were thinking that the middle name would be [name]Edwin[/name], for my grandfather, so that’s something to throw in the mix as well. I haven’t really considered [name]Edwin[/name] as a first name just because I don’t necessarily like the nicknames [name]Ed[/name] or [name]Eddie[/name]. Other family names we could use as middle names are [name]Leo[/name] or [name]Cuthbert[/name]. Other names I like include:

[name]Finn[/name]
[name]Max[/name]/well
[name]Zachary[/name] ([name]Zach[/name])
[name]Lucas[/name]/[name]Luke[/name]
[name]Bennett[/name]
[name]Brooks[/name] (but maybe the boy’s name needs to be more “masculine” since he’s a boy/girl twin?)
[name]Theodore[/name] ([name]Theo[/name])
[name]Charles[/name]
[name]Jasper[/name] (but is [name]Jasper[/name] [name]Johnson[/name] too much like [name]Jasper[/name] Johns?)
[name]Louis[/name]
[name]Gordon[/name]
[name]Frederick[/name]
[name]Leo[/name]
[name]Oscar[/name]
[name]Vincent[/name]
[name]Samuel[/name] ([name]Sam[/name])

Any help and advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

I have a very similar surname, so I can relate to the frustration with lots of names ending with the “on/en/in” sound and being too rhymey with your surname. I absolutely love [name]Samuel[/name], and [name]Oscar[/name] is also nice.

[name]Malcolm[/name] and [name]Evelyn[/name] are both lovely and sound just fine to me.
[name]One[/name] of the benefits of a common surname like [name]Johnson[/name] is that it doesn’t feel rhymey to me unless you name the kid [name]Bronson[/name] [name]Johnson[/name] or something.

[name]Malcolm[/name]'s one of my favorites, because of the nicknames [name]Mal[/name] and [name]Mac[/name].
I also like [name]Theodore[/name], [name]Charles[/name], [name]Frederick[/name] and [name]Samuel[/name].

Have you thought about writing to Swistle? Swistle: Baby Names She could do a poll for you too.

Thanks, brigid16. I’d never heard of Swistle. What a cool service she provides! I think I’ll try that.

I love [name]Evelyn[/name]! My favs from your list are:

[name]Bennett[/name]
[name]Max[/name]
[name]Finn[/name]
[name]Gordon[/name]
[name]Vincent[/name]
[name]Leo[/name].

I think [name]Malcolm[/name] [name]Johnson[/name] is great (my favorite from your list other than [name]Jasper[/name], which doesn’t go wonderfully with your last name). I also really like [name]Theodore[/name], [name]Oscar[/name], [name]Lucas[/name], [name]Leo[/name] and [name]Louis[/name]. [name]Callum[/name] is another that popped in my mind that you may appreciate (I like it even more than [name]Malcolm[/name]).

Thanks everyone for your comments and advice! We’ve talked about this a lot and I think we are deciding on [name]Malcolm[/name]. I feel really good about it after hearing from all of you!

[name]Bennett[/name] and [name]Oscar[/name] are my favorites! I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Malcolm[/name], it would be at the top of my boys’ list but I have the same rhyming problem that you do! Have you thought about [name]Cormac[/name]? You could still have a [name]Mac[/name] or a [name]Mick[/name], but it wouldn’t present a problem…

I love your taste. I think [name]Malcolm[/name] is a clear winner, and I love [name]Evelyn[/name] just as much. [name]Both[/name] sound amazing with your last name, so I wouldn’t worry about that issue at all. Stop telling your family your name choices!!! lol It’s hard enough trying to find something you and your husband love without everyone adding their critical (largely negative) thoughts.

Best of luck!

I don’t [name]Malcolm[/name] or [name]Evelyn[/name] sound bad with [name]Johnson[/name] - not too rhymey at all.

I love the name [name]Malcolm[/name]. I would use it. Keep us posted.

I love [name]Malcolm[/name], especially with nn [name]Mac[/name]. I don’t have any problem with the [name]Malcolm[/name] [name]Johnson[/name] combo. [name]Malcolm[/name] [name]Leo[/name] [name]Johnson[/name] sounds really handsome to me! (for what it’s worth, I don’t have a problem with [name]Evelyn[/name] [name]Johnson[/name] for the girl baby either).

Our twins arrived on [name_u]August[/name_u] 28th and we couldn’t be happier. [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] and [name_m]Malcolm[/name_m] [name_m]Edwin[/name_m] were welcomed by Mom, Dad, and big brother [name_m]Miles[/name_m] [name_m]Roland[/name_m]. Thanks to everyone who helped us settle on names!