Malcolm or Callum...

[name]MAC[/name] would def work as a nn!

I must admit that I’m kinda surprised that [name]Callum[/name] is winning in the poll. [name]Callum[/name] seems trendier to me and it seems that most fellow nameberry nerds lean toward vintage/classic/timeless names.

Thoughts?

:wink:

[name]Tara[/name]

I agree with you…I voted for [name]Callum[/name], then changed it to [name]Malcolm[/name] because I thought [name]Callum[/name] might become dated. However, I do love both names!

[name]Calum[/name] is a classic, traditional Scottish name, but as it has grown in popularity lately I can see how it could be misconceived as “trendy” but it’s really not a tryndee name like [name]Kaylee[/name] or whatever…

I am sure that it has a nice meaning but I dislike both of these names. (Sorry)

As I have said in the past the first three letters of [name]Malcolm[/name] put me off the name “mal”, the French word, means bad. I know [name]Malcolm[/name] is a Scottish name but I can’t get past “mal”.

Now [name]Callum[/name], the first thing I see when I read it or hear it is the word “callow”, and I think anyone would dislike being considered callow or weak.

On the other hand names like [name]Conall[/name] and [name]Connor[/name] depict a strong alpha male type of person to me.

I like [name]Malcolm[/name] more than [name]Calum[/name], though both are nice. [name]Cal[/name] could definitely be a nickname for [name]Malcolm[/name].

Hello aok!

Thanks for your response. I hadn’t considered [name]Cal[/name] as a nn for [name]Malcolm[/name].

Now I’m curious if others think that [name]Cal[/name] could be a reasonable nn for [name]Malcolm[/name].

What do you think, others?

Many thanks!

[name]Tara[/name]

I’ve got to chime in here about the mal in [name]Malcolm[/name] meaning “bad.” It has nothing to do with Spanish or French–it’s from Scottish Gaelic and means discipline/devotee…of a saint! If anything, the connotation should be a positive one. I wish people wouldn’t judge the phonemes of one language by the phonemes of another. (End of hormonal pregnant lady rant. :))

That said, I like [name]Calum[/name] and [name]Malcolm[/name] both, and [name]Mac[/name] and [name]Mal[/name] are both good nicknames for [name]Malcolm[/name]. I’ll second the positive association of [name]Mal[/name] with the character from Firefly.

Oops–to answer your question about [name]Cal[/name] as a nn for [name]Malcolm[/name]–sure, why not! It doesn’t look an an intuitive derivation, but as soon are you say it, it makes total sense. I’d say go for it.

Ditto! :slight_smile:

Have a good day!

I think we have been down this road before, no matter what the true source is, for me, the ‘bad’ is always there, so logical or not that is my feeling when I see this name.

(You can put my reaction down to being in the stodgy old granny category)

Ditto! :slight_smile:

Have a good day![/quote]

Really? This is huge!

I suppose if [name]Dick[/name] is an accepted nn for [name]Richard[/name] then [name]Cal[/name] should work for [name]Malcolm[/name], huh?

I’m delighted!

Thanks all!
[name]Tara[/name]

I think this is kinda bs, b/c who thinks [name]Luke[/name] is an unusual name? But, [name]Malcolm[/name] is on the top ten “bad boy” list.

Also, the premise is kind of silly. If the names are unique and odd, there shouldn’t be enough of them to statistically rate.

I agree!

[name]Malcolm[/name] and [name]Alec[/name] were on our short list when that “study” was released. It troubled me for about 30 seconds until I realized how utterly redonkulous it is.

Thanks for your reply, devon7 :wink:

[name]Tara[/name]