Maleficent?

Opinions on the name Maleficent? :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

I like the idea of it, but I feel like it would be unusable in real life.

1 Like

I think it would be a huge GP for anyone.

1 Like

I kind of like the sound but I do think it should stay as a guilty pleasure.

1 Like

[name_u]Mal[/name_u] = bad in Spanish and I know it as the name of the villain in Sleeping Beauty.

Maleficent also means “causing destruction or harm” which isn’t a meaning I can overlook. Plus something about the “cent” sound doesn’t do it for me.

5 Likes

It’s a lovely sounding guilty pleasure name. With its malicious meaning and strong character association, it would be extreme in real life.

(I do think it would make for a perfect cat name.)

3 Likes

Maybe as a guilty pleasure?

i’m not certain it’s usable but i adore the sound of it. it doesn’t have the same vibes but maybe millicent as an alternative?

6 Likes

I think, in a vacuum, it has a nice sound and I can see the appeal. But I don’t think it’s a good idea for a real child because it literally means “doing evil” and the association with character/film is strong.

really like the sound too, but it’s not got the nicest meaning and is just way too tied to the character for me, sorry :confused: love the idea of millicent, maybe you like helisent or elysand as well?

Nope, it’s an awesome character name, pen name, stage name, but I wouldn’t use it on a real child.
In fact this is the reason I’m not a big fan of [name_f]Millicent[/name_f] personally, however I do think both [name_f]Millicent[/name_f] or [name_f]Melisende[/name_f] would be great alternatives without the negative meaning or association.

1 Like

I love love love the way it sounds and me personally I don’t completely hate the Maleficent association but I do think it’s maybe a bit too associated. It’s too bad really cause I really do love it

This!

1 Like

[name_u]Love[/name_u] it.

1 Like

I would say it’s not very useable bjt [name_f]Millicent[/name_f] is though which sounds quite similar

I think it’s an awesome name, but not for real life! Maybe a book character Maleficent would be cool… [name_u]Mallory[/name_u] and [name_f]Millicent[/name_f] have similar sounds - I think both are definitely more wearable in actuality!

It reminds me a be too much of malevolent

I cannot imagine any parent wanting to saddle their child with a name that means bringing about harm or evil.

1 Like

Honestly, I can kind of see the appeal? Its sound is not bad, kind of like [name_f]Millicent[/name_f] in a way. But it is a word with a terrible meaning, which I immediately associate with it (not to mention the villain that is synonymous with it), so I’d say it definitely wouldn’t work as anything other than a gp. :slight_smile:

For a cat, Yes. It’s too cruel for a a child it literally means force of evil.
[name_f]Millicent[/name_f] and [name_f]Melisande[/name_f] are better alternatives.