Males with unisex names that you know

I created a list of names titled “Names that sound passe for a girl but fresh for a boy” (originally the unchanged title was because my browser wasn’t working properly but I figured out what to do) based upon some of the posts eariler in this thread:

If anyone has some more names that they think could go on this list let me know. Note that I’m not including names that are currently fashionable for girls (though they may also be for boys) like [name]Avery[/name] and [name]Peyton[/name].

I just scanned your list, and while I know a couple of female Morgans, I actually love it on a boy! Not sure if I’m up to using it myself, but I certainly thinks its “fresh” for a boy.

I know at least 3: [name]Ashley[/name], [name]Kelly[/name] and [name]Shannon[/name]

They all were pretty much fine with it - though in college [name]Ashley[/name] was teased a bit. On the flip side, my name is [name]Wesley[/name] and I’m a woman — and I know of at least 2 little boys in my elementary school who stopped going by “[name]Wes[/name]” and started going by their first name “[name]John[/name]” once we were in the same class!

So, in short, it definitely bothers SOME boys —and I’m guessing it bothers them most in elementary school/jr. high. I mean, heck, there’s a reason [name]Johnny[/name] [name]Cash[/name] wrote “A Boy Named [name]Sue[/name]” :slight_smile: A guy has to be super tough & confident to carry off a neutral/feminine name.

I have a male friend named [name]Kelly[/name] who has no issue with his name, nor does my friend [name]Jamie[/name]. A guy in high school was named [name]Lindsay[/name] but he was pretty athletic so he had no problems.
A friend of mine intentionally named her children unisex names-[name]Courtney[/name] and [name]Cameron[/name]. I think that there are many names that are solidly unisex and cause no problems. While I can see that a name that is transitioning towards the feminine can cause problems on the playground, kids can be mean and will find something to tease another child about. I think that names that were traditionally male and have been hijacked for girls can still be used for males and can be a great way to insure a unique name.

I’m a teenager, and I’ve run into several boys with unisex names. I personally know boys with the names:

[name]Madison[/name].
[name]Jordan[/name].
[name]Taylor[/name].
[name]Shannon[/name].
[name]Casey[/name].
[name]Cameron[/name] (is that considered unisex now?)
[name]Morgan[/name].
[name]Bailey[/name].
[name]Peyton[/name].
[name]Hayden[/name].
[name]Ashton[/name].
[name]Page[/name].
[name]Avery[/name].
[name]Riley[/name].
[name]Ryan[/name].

Never have I heard of any of them get made fun of for having a “girl’s name”. All of those names were originally for boys, anyway, so it’s really not that big of a deal. I think all of those names sound better on boys, anyway.

I know so many boy [name]Taylor[/name]'s and [name]Jordan[/name]'s, it’s not even funny. I think it’s weird that people are scared to put those on a baby boy now, because there’s tons of them in my generation of kids.

You might think [name]Madison[/name], [name]Page[/name] or [name]Shannon[/name] would get made fun of because of how popular a girl’s names they’ve been for a while, but they never are. I had homeroom with [name]Madison[/name] last year, [name]Page[/name] was a really popular, cool older boy that I went to elementary school with, and [name]Shannon[/name] is an adorable little boy I know. No one thinks anything about their names; they’re more refreshing and unique sounding than girly sounding. Now, when I hear the names [name]Madison[/name], [name]Page[/name] or [name]Shannon[/name], they automatically sound boyish to me.

I don’t see a boy [name]Morgan[/name] or [name]Ashton[/name] ever having problems, thanks to Mr. Kutcher and Mr. [name]Freeman[/name] for keeping those names strong and masculine. I adore those names on boys, especially [name]Morgan[/name]. [name]Bailey[/name], [name]Riley[/name], [name]Casey[/name], [name]Peyton[/name] and [name]Hayden[/name] still seem pretty unisex and equally divided amonst both genders, but [name]Cameron[/name] and [name]Ryan[/name] will always seem boyish to me (kind of like [name]Taylor[/name] and [name]Jordan[/name]) because I grew up with so many males that had those names. I haven’t come to consider them unisex yet. [name]Avery[/name] is one that’s extremely popular for girls, but I know a little boy named [name]Avery[/name] and I’ve heard of others using/considering it on here–I think it’s gorgeous on a boy. I’ve heard that [name]Kelsey[/name], [name]Addison[/name], [name]Lindsay[/name], [name]Courtney[/name] and [name]Ashley[/name] are unisex–it would make my day to meet a male with one of those names, as I think they would sound wonderful on boys.

Anyway, like I said, the boys I know with unisex names have never had problems or issues with their names. Society is more accepting of it than people think. I think it’s really refreshing to hear an old-fashioned type boy name that’s fashionable for girl’s now on a male today. It’s a great way to be unique and bring all those names back in style on the boys–where they belong!

My brother’s name is [name]Morgan[/name] and he has never had a problem with it. I love it - suits him perfectly!

Guys with unisex names that I’ve known:

[name]Avery[/name] – a tennis player and friend of my brother’s. Very sweet, good natured guy. I also know an adorable 6-year old named [name]Avery[/name].

[name]Robin[/name] – a very smart guy that I went to college with.

[name]Casey[/name] – a childhood neighbor. [name]Even[/name] though I have a female cousin named [name]Casey[/name], this has always sounded masculine to me.

[name]Stacey[/name] – a bass in an a capella group. He was hilarious and everyone loved him (although they did joke about his name a lot).

[name]Taylor[/name] and [name]Tory[/name] (brothers) – my cousins, both in their teens. Not sure how they feel about their names but they suit them well.

[name]Skylar[/name] – another childhood neighbor. I had no idea this was being used for girls till recently.

[name]Jordan[/name] – a good-looking and incredibly smart young guy I know.

[name]Don[/name]'t forget celebrities and characters that are helping to boost the masculine use of these unisex names: [name]Hailey[/name], [name]Hayden[/name], [name]Kerry[/name], [name]Casey[/name], [name]Riley[/name], [name]Morgan[/name], and so on and so forth.

I really like the sound of [name]Kelly[/name] for a guy! I’m rooting for unisex names to become more acceptable on boys… especially names that were masculine to begin with.

I have known a male [name]Courtney[/name], a male [name]Stacy[/name], several male [name]Terry[/name]'s, a male [name]Shannon[/name], a male [name]Tyler[/name]. None have confessed to hating their names or changed them legally. I still think it is best to pick more masculine names with boys however. [name]Even[/name] if I used a masculine name for a girl, I personally would be sure her mn was more feminine so she could choose which to use.

There are a few boys that go to my school that have unisex names.

[name]Kelly[/name]
[name]Jordan[/name]
[name]Casey[/name]
[name]Taylor[/name]
[name]Mackenzie[/name]
[name]Addison[/name]
[name]Avory[/name]
[name]Bailey[/name] (actually there are 2 Baileys)

I’m sure there are more, but this is all I could think of.

Hmm, thinking of guys I have met who have unisex names:

[name]Kelly[/name] - A grown-up friend, not too thrilled to share his name with ladies.
[name]Courtney[/name] - Was a VERY masculine guy I used to know. I don’t think he ever got teased for his name!
[name]Tracy[/name] - A high school comrade. He was kind of mean really, so I never asked him.

Interestingly, my stepdad, who’s a truck driver, told me he used to work with another VERY masculine truck driver named [name]Hillary[/name]. I don’t think he ever got teased for his name, until [name]Hillary[/name] [name]Clinton[/name] came into office.

This was a good question! Can I guess your name, or did someone already guess and I missed it?

Er, I meant “until [name]Bill[/name] [name]Clinton[/name] came into office.” lol

Hey [name]Wesley[/name] - that’s funny, I have a son [name]Wesley[/name] and have since heard of one other female [name]Wesley[/name]! I think in a generation or two we may see some more of you lady Wesses. :wink: