Malou - POLL

See the results of this poll: Which middle name do you like best for Malou?

Respondents: 26 (This poll is closed)

• Malou Charlotte : 1 (4%)
  • Malou Victoria: 15 (58%)
  • Malou Amelia: 4 (15%)
  • Malou Scarlett: 0 (0%)
  • Malou Violet: 6 (23%)

I love the name [name]Malou[/name]. So sweet.

My favorites are [name]Malou[/name] [name]Amelia[/name] and [name]Malou[/name] [name]Violet[/name].

Good luck!

[name]Hi[/name] cora, may I just ask what [name]Malou[/name] means?

[name]Hi[/name] [name]Etoile[/name] (great screen name),

It differs. A book I got here (where [name]Malou[/name] is in the Top 100), says it means “wished for child”, which I love. :slight_smile: And the Hawaiian version (spelled [name]Malu[/name]) means peaceful. Other baby name sites have [name]Malou[/name] as a nickname of [name]Mary[/name] [name]Louise[/name], etc.

It differs. A book I got here (where [name]Malou[/name] is in the Top 100), says it means “wished for child”, which I love. :slight_smile: And the Hawaiian version (spelled [name]Malu[/name]) means peaceful. Other baby name sites have [name]Malou[/name] as a nickname of [name]Mary[/name] [name]Louise[/name], etc.[/quote]

Hmmm… I know what you mean. In the book I have, the name [name]Mari[/name] (Hebrew) means ‘A wished-for daughter’, which I loved so much. I scoured the internet though, and nowhere else does it say the same thing. I also went through my entire baby name book, and not another name carries the same meaning.

I am so happy for you that you’ve found this particular name with such great meaning. :slight_smile:

If you’re considering other middle names, might I suggest [name]Leontine[/name]? It’s a name used by the Dutch and French, so your husband might be familiar with its pronunciation. Also, it means having the strength of a lion, which I feel is particularly meaningful for a daughter.

[name]Malou[/name] [name]Leontine[/name]. I like. :slight_smile:

Oooh, I have another one-- [name]Malou[/name] [name]Anneliese[/name] ([name]AH[/name]-nuh-[name]LEE[/name]-zuh), since you’re living in [name]Holland[/name], I believe you won’t have trouble using this pronunciation. This is how I know the name to be, anyway. It means graced with God’s bounty.

[name]Victoria[/name] is my choice, as I think a name that begins with a consonant and that doesn’t have two syllables (as [name]Malou[/name] does) works best.

It differs. A book I got here (where [name]Malou[/name] is in the Top 100), says it means “wished for child”, which I love. :slight_smile: And the Hawaiian version (spelled [name]Malu[/name]) means peaceful. Other baby name sites have [name]Malou[/name] as a nickname of [name]Mary[/name] [name]Louise[/name], etc.[/quote]

Hmmm… I know what you mean. In the book I have, the name [name]Mari[/name] (Hebrew) means ‘A wished-for daughter’, which I loved so much. I scoured the internet though, and nowhere else does it say the same thing. I also went through my entire baby name book, and not another name carries the same meaning.

I am so happy for you that you’ve found this particular name with such great meaning. :slight_smile:

If you’re considering other middle names, might I suggest [name]Leontine[/name]? It’s a name used by the Dutch and French, so your husband might be familiar with its pronunciation. Also, it means having the strength of a lion, which I feel is particularly meaningful for a daughter.

[name]Malou[/name] [name]Leontine[/name]. I like. :)[/quote]

I’ll ask him about it. I don’t think I’ve ever heard it before.

And [name]Anneliese[/name] is my sister in law’s name. :slight_smile:

Thanks [name]Pam[/name].

I love [name]Malou[/name] [name]Victoria[/name]!

Good luck, [name]Cora[/name]! :slight_smile:

Thanks [name]Pam[/name].[/quote]

You’re welcome! I was stunned to discover that [name]Malou[/name] was not in the nameberry database and so did some research. I do think it’s a contraction of [name]Mary[/name] and [name]Lou[/name]/[name]Louise[/name] and so used both those meanings. Some sources don’t like to say that [name]Mary[/name] and its variations mean “bitter” but I do think that’s more accurate than “wished-for daughter.” But I also think it’s an adorable name and the ancient meaning, especially one that’s open to so many interpretations, is less relevant than the modern one.

Thanks [name]Jill[/name]!

Thanks [name]Pam[/name].[/quote]

You’re welcome! I was stunned to discover that [name]Malou[/name] was not in the nameberry database and so did some research. I do think it’s a contraction of [name]Mary[/name] and [name]Lou[/name]/[name]Louise[/name] and so used both those meanings. Some sources don’t like to say that [name]Mary[/name] and its variations mean “bitter” but I do think that’s more accurate than “wished-for daughter.” But I also think it’s an adorable name and the ancient meaning, especially one that’s open to so many interpretations, is less relevant than the modern one.[/quote]

Thanks for researching it and adding it. I was disappointed not to find [name]Malou[/name] when I searched the other day. :slight_smile:

Yeah, I picked [name]Malou[/name] before I knew what it meant so we didn’t pick it because it meant wished for child so I’m fine with my bitter, renowned warrior! :slight_smile:

And we decided last night that we are going to name her [name]Malou[/name] [name]Victoria[/name]. YAY!

Thanks everyone!

[name]Malou[/name] [name]Victoria[/name] is really stunning- congratulations!!!

I love [name]Malou[/name] [name]Victoria[/name]! The flow is perfect and the two styles click together nicely. I would avoid middle names starting with a vowel because [name]Malou[/name] ends in two vowels. I love the name [name]Lilou[/name] too (almost as much as [name]Malou[/name] :slight_smile:

[name]Malou[/name] [name]Victoria[/name]…

Beautiful and original!

You’re going with [name]Malou[/name] [name]Victoria[/name]? Woo-hoo!!! I think it’s beautiful! :slight_smile:

(By the way, I love your name, too.) :slight_smile:

Take care!