Mamie Marie? Jemima? Audrey?

See the results of this poll: Your Thoughts?

Respondents: 30 (This poll is closed)

1. Mamie: 1 (3%)
    1. Audrey: 15 (50%)
    1. Jemina: 14 (47%)

[name]Jemima[/name]'s definitely my favourite! I’ve never been a fan of [name]Audrey[/name] and [name]Mamie[/name] sounds like a name you’d call your mother or grandmother to me :S

Brothers for [name]Jemima[/name]:

[name]Ambrose[/name]
[name]Arthur[/name] nn [name]Artie[/name]
[name]August[/name]
[name]Edison[/name]
[name]Ellis[/name]
[name]Gareth[/name]
Gethin
[name]Griffin[/name]
[name]Gregory[/name]
[name]Hugo[/name]
[name]Jarvis[/name]
[name]Leonard[/name]/[name]Leonardo[/name]
[name]Nathaniel[/name]
[name]Octavius[/name]
[name]Otto[/name]
[name]Otis[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name]
[name]Owen[/name]
[name]Quentin[/name]
[name]Rafferty[/name]
[name]Raymond[/name]
[name]Rufus[/name]
[name]Theodore[/name]
[name]Walter[/name]
[name]William[/name]

Middle names:

[name]Jemima[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name]
[name]Jemima[/name] [name]Jane[/name]
[name]Jemima[/name] [name]June[/name]
[name]Jemima[/name] [name]Louisa[/name]
[name]Jemima[/name] [name]Ruth[/name]
Jemime [name]Faye[/name]
[name]Jemima[/name] [name]Blythe[/name]
[name]Jemima[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Jemima[/name] [name]Claire[/name]
[name]Jemima[/name] [name]Frances[/name]
[name]Jemima[/name] [name]Beatrice[/name]
[name]Jemima[/name] [name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Jemima[/name] [name]Margot[/name]
[name]Jemima[/name] [name]Catherine[/name]
[name]Jemima[/name] [name]Sylvie[/name]
[name]Jemima[/name] [name]Rose[/name]

Nicknames:

[name]Jem[/name]
[name]Mima[/name] (I know a [name]Jemima[/name] who goes by this and I love it!)
[name]Mimi[/name]
[name]Mim[/name]

Best of luck!

Thank you so much for your response! [name]Just[/name] what I was looking for! I’ve wondered about [name]Mamie[/name]. (Although I still like it.) For me it has moved from clunky to cool, but it is still nice to know how others perceive it. And with [name]Jemima[/name] – as you have pointed out – I have [name]Mimi[/name] – which I like too. I really like [name]Jemima[/name] hugely – and think it past due for renovation. When it comes to nicknames, I also have [name]Jemma[/name], which I am liking a lot.

Among your mns, I looooooveeee Jemina [name]Jane[/name], but hesitate because it is quite cute. Too cute? [name]Jemima[/name] [name]Pearl[/name] is adorable too.

For a brother’s name, I’m handicapped because I love [name]Jasper[/name]. Again – [name]Jasper[/name] and [name]Jemima[/name]? Isn’t it a little too darling? I don’t like as many boys’ names. Crazy – but there it is. I have thought of [name]Rafferty[/name] and was glad to find it on your list. I adore [name]Autry[/name], but wonder if it goes with [name]Jemima[/name]. Yes or no? What do you think?

[name]Jemima[/name] [name]Jane[/name] is super cute but not too over the top since [name]Jane[/name] is a solid unfrilly classic. I like [name]Rafferty[/name] and [name]Miles[/name] for her brother. [name]Jasper[/name] is great but too much w [name]Jemima[/name].

[name]Hi[/name]! You’ve got really cool vintage naming style - love that!

Okay, I have to say that I’m not on board with [name]Mamie[/name] right now. First off, nicknames as full names aren’t really my personal style, though I know they are a trend right now, especially those of the vintage set. However, I think a formal name is always nice to fall back on! Second, [name]Mamie[/name] reminds me of the infamous “Mammy doll,” which is offensive to [name]African[/name] Americans, or so I’ve been told. I know [name]Mamie[/name] and Mammy really aren’t at all the same, but they sound very similar to me! It also reminds me of Marmee in ‘[name]Little[/name] Women,’ which isn’t a bad connection. Okay, all of that means I wouldn’t choose it as a first name for my daughter! But - it’s a good but! - why not use [name]Mary[/name] or [name]Margaret[/name] and nickname her [name]Mamie[/name] if you so choose? [name]Mamie[/name] is traditionally a diminutive form of [name]Mary[/name] and [name]Margaret[/name], and I noticed your combination was [name]Mamie[/name] [name]Marie[/name], so maybe you like the whole [name]Mary[/name] thing - what do you think? You could even go [name]Mamie[/name]-crazy and name a daughter [name]Mary[/name] [name]Margaret[/name]! I’m all for alliteration, too. Thoughts?

Alright, [name]Jemima[/name]! I honestly think [name]Jemima[/name] is adorable. I was compiling a list of names at work yesterday and there was an old woman named [name]Jemima[/name] - I automatically picked it as my favorite of the day! But, I can’t really see it on a small child or a modern child, for that matter. Granted, [name]Jemima[/name] is so sweet, and it reminds me of [name]Jemima[/name] Puddle-Duck, who is just awesome. But, then again, there’s Aunt [name]Jemima[/name] and her syrup! That’s a little weird. But, I’m going to say I love it for you, and nicknames like [name]Jem[/name], [name]Jemmie[/name], and even [name]Jimmie[/name] really seal the deal for me. Combos like [name]Jemima[/name] [name]Jane[/name], [name]Jemima[/name] [name]Josephine[/name], and [name]Jemima[/name] [name]Juliet[/name] are truly spectacular, I think - or [name]Jemima[/name] [name]June[/name], a true vintage name.

[name]Audrey[/name] doesn’t wow me, but I do like it a lot. It’s sweet, classic, and feminine without trying too hard. It isn’t so vintage that it feels out of place, especially with the popular, trendy [name]Aubrey[/name]. But, then again, it feels more classic to me than vintage, so I have a hard time linking it to more cozy, whimsical vintage names like [name]Jemima[/name] and [name]Mamie[/name] ([name]Mary[/name] or [name]Margaret[/name]), you know? To me, [name]Audrey[/name] goes with the elegant [name]Caroline[/name] and the sophisticated [name]Elizabeth[/name], whereas I could see a sibling set of [name]Jemima[/name], [name]Margaret[/name], [name]Felicity[/name], and [name]Felicity[/name] working beautifully. I also think [name]Audrey[/name] is an on-trend name that will really be climbing up the charts, if that bothers you!

As for sibling names, I could see [name]Jemima[/name], [name]Mamie[/name] ([name]Margaret[/name] [name]Mary[/name]?), [name]Felicity[/name], and [name]Susannah[/name] together, maybe with brothers called [name]Elias[/name], [name]Tobias[/name], [name]Edmund[/name], [name]Phineas[/name], [name]William[/name], or [name]Nathaniel[/name]. [name]Jem[/name], [name]Mamie[/name], Lissy, [name]Sosie[/name], [name]Eli[/name], [name]Tobey[/name], [name]Eddie[/name], [name]Finn[/name], [name]Wiley[/name], [name]Nat[/name]? I don’t know…

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

I know a [name]Mamie[/name] who is totally rad. Her sister’s name is [name]Sadie[/name], and her brother’s name is [name]Ross[/name].

[name]Audrey[/name] sounds very southern belle to me, which isn’t a bad thing because I’m from [name]Louisiana[/name].

I’m not a fan of [name]Jemima[/name].

I voted for [name]Jemima[/name] because I think it’s time for her to come back! It’s such a beautiful name if it weren’t for the syrup! The nicknames are really great, too.

I love [name]Audrey[/name] so much, and it’s probably the one I’d actually use since it’d take a lot of cojones to name your daughter [name]Jemima[/name]. I only didn’t vote for it because it doesn’t feel as fresh (to me) as [name]Jemima[/name].

I don’t like [name]Mamie[/name]. I’m not sure how to pronounce it and it has more old southern racist connotations to me than [name]Jemima[/name] does.

No I don’t think [name]Jemima[/name] [name]Jane[/name] is too cute, just cute enough :slight_smile: Hehe. No seriously I do love the alliteration!

I also love [name]Jasper[/name] (partner doesn’t though :() and I think [name]Jasper[/name] and [name]Jemima[/name] are lovely, but I would worry if you plan on having more children about naming them all J names! [name]Rafferty[/name] is my number 1 boys name on my own list so glad you like it too!! I think [name]Autry[/name] might have problems with the popularity of [name]Audrey[/name]. I say these the same except for the “t” and “d” sound. I’ve never heard it before though so maybe I just need to get used to it. I think stylistically it goes with [name]Jemima[/name], but maybe something a bit stronger and more masculine would be nice? What about [name]Harvey[/name]??

I just can’t shake the aunt [name]Jemima[/name] association. I really think that name would be torture for a child.

I went with [name]Audrey[/name]. Jemina will always make me think of Aunt [name]Jemima[/name] pancakes and syrup. [name]Mamie[/name] sounds too much like Mammy and makes me think of [name]Scarlett[/name]'s Mammy in Gone with the Wind.

[name]LOVE[/name] [name]Jemima[/name]! You’re right, it’s SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO due for a revival. [name]How[/name] about [name]Casper[/name] instead of [name]Jasper[/name]?

I love [name]Caspar[/name], dread the Friendly Ghost remarks. Maybe I’m being over-sensitive.

What do you think of [name]Caspian[/name], nn [name]Caspar[/name]?

P.S. [name]Do[/name] you think [name]Caspar[/name] is more fashionable than [name]Jasper[/name]? Or another way to put this, what is your impressions of these names? [name]How[/name] would you describe a [name]Jasper[/name]? A [name]Caspar[/name]?

[name]Jasper[/name] strikes me as more trendy, probably because of the Twilight connection. [name]Casper[/name] strikes me as a bit more elite & classy. You probably would get “friendly ghost” comments depending on whether you run in circles with less common names or not. I think it would be ADORABLE on a little boy. I don’t think the friendly ghost connection necessarily has to be negative.

Personally, I think you have to decide whether association comments will bother you or not. Your kids attitude about his name will probably be very much influenced by your response -whether you’re offended or shrug them off and and continue to be proud of your son’s name. If you love a name enough, you won’t mind if people have associations.

OK, just have to put in a vote for [name]Mamie[/name]. I think [name]Mamie[/name] is super-cute, like an updated [name]Molly[/name]. It doesn’t make me think of Mammy at all, but of [name]Mamie[/name] Eisenhower and '[name]Mamie[/name] Eisenhower [name]Pink[/name]." I know a little [name]Mamie[/name] [name]Grace[/name] and I think the name is just precious! I like [name]Jemima[/name] too, though if I had to pick the name with more racist connotations, it would be [name]Jemima[/name]. But I don’t think it should necessarily stop you, as these connections are fading. [name]Audrey[/name] is fairly plain next to these two, though pretty enough in it’s own right.

Yay! Finally someone who agrees with me about [name]Mamie[/name]! I just adore the name and would love to meet a cute [name]Mamie[/name].

I run hot and cold about [name]Jemima[/name]. Sometimes I can reimagine it without a broadly smiling African American woman in a apron peddling syrup. Other times – not so much. It is too bad it has that baggage, as in some ways it is a lovely name.

Perhaps any name ([name]Caspar[/name], [name]Jemima[/name]) has a down side, and as poster above said, the moral of the story is to model for your child how to wear a name gracefully and makes the best of it!

I like both [name]Audrey[/name] and [name]Jemima[/name] (no typical US association since I didn’t grow up here).

Would never use [name]Mamie[/name]… cos that’s what I call my mum in Chinese lol.

Forgot to say in my post above, if [name]Mamie[/name] is pronounced Ma-mie. Maybe it’s pronounced Mam-mi. But my initial reaction is Ma-mie.

Husband said “Mams” is probably not a nn you’d want for your daughter, esp in teenage years…

It’s [name]May[/name]-mie.