Many Choices-Advice, Please?

Hello fellow namers!

My husband and I are expecting our second child and we are having a startlingly terrible time selecting a name for #2. We named our first child within weeks of finding out we were expecting, and [name]Trinity[/name] [name]Averill[/name] [name]Patric[/name], our daughter, had an identity long before she was born.

Moving on, we would like a name for our second child that’s not too far out but that definitely stands out from the crowd. Since [name]Averill[/name] was the family name we selected for our first, we thought that choosing the middle name “[name]Mai[/name]” or “[name]Mae[/name]” would be a cute, smart choice because “[name]May[/name]” is a family name… strangely enough, we also have “[name]June[/name]” in the family. This time around, we seem to be running out of inspiration after scouring name books galore and are desperately hoping that serendipity (or wise guidance) will send us “THE NAME!”

Anyway, we’re searching far and wide for interesting unique names that would serve as a strong but not overpowering foil for “[name]Trinity[/name]” and would work with the middle name “[name]Mai[/name]/[name]Mae[/name].” Here are some of the selections we’ve come up with so far to serve as examples of the types of names we’re searching for.
[ul]

[/ul]

I thank you for your advice and hope to hear from some of you!

For a name to match [name]Trinity[/name] in presence and to go with [name]Mai[/name]/[name]Mae[/name] as middle, from your list I immediately like:
[name]Avalon[/name]: strong, a word name but recognized as a name (like [name]Trinity[/name])
[name]Taliesin[/name] - intriguing look and sound. I think it’s a masculine name in Welsh though - not sure about that. I really like it with [name]Trinity[/name]
[name]Cassia[/name] - like this one a lot too.

Would suggest: [name]Calista[/name]

Some on your list are too common compared to [name]Trinity[/name]. [name]IMO[/name] these are: [name]Rowan[/name], [name]Ruby[/name], [name]Harper[/name], [name]Juliet[/name], [name]Keela[/name], [name]Scarlett[/name], [name]Stella[/name], [name]Tabitha[/name], [name]Willow[/name], [name]Zoe[/name], [name]Reese[/name], [name]Annabelle[/name].

Some seem to me to be trying hard whereas [name]Trinity[/name] just worked for you, right? [name]IMO[/name] these are: [name]Story[/name], [name]Tressa[/name], Trella, [name]Sapphire[/name], [name]River[/name]

Good luck!

you have a great list. heres my favorites with [name]Trinity[/name]:

[name]Avalon[/name] [name]Mae[/name]
[name]Cassia[/name] [name]Mae[/name]
[name]Calista[/name] [name]Mae[/name]
[name]Ruby[/name] [name]Mae[/name]
[name]Harper[/name] [name]Mae[/name]
[name]Tabitha[/name] [name]Mae[/name]
[name]Annabel[/name] [name]Mae[/name]

[name]Trinity[/name] to me feels strong, sophisticated and slightly otherworldy. I understand your desire to find a strong match for it, and I also understand that will be a difficult task; there are a few of your names that I really like, but next to [name]Trinity[/name] … it’s just like a failed chemical reaction. I’ve “played this game” with a lot of people, and I gotta say – [name]Trinity[/name] has proved one of the more difficult names to match in a sib-set. So let’s see what we can do.

OK, list in order of preference.

The YESes:
[name]Ianthe[/name] [name]Mae[/name] (note: not really my style, so should show you how the name POPPED out at me; I think it would be lovely with [name]Trinity[/name])
[name]Cassia[/name] [name]Mae[/name] (seems to match in strength & otherworldiness, though slightly too close to downmarket “[name]Cassie[/name]” for me to go nuts over it)
[name]Story[/name] [name]June[/name] (I’m not sure about the two -y endings, but the two names are still different so I don’t think it would be a problem)

The "Alright"s (again, in order of preference)
[name]Luna[/name] [name]Mai[/name]: everything’s technically working here, and I don’t dislike [name]Luna[/name], but I just don’t think it’s as “pretty” as [name]Trinity[/name]
[name]Oriel[/name] [name]June[/name]: as above, plus it reminds me so much of the bird & [name]Baltimore[/name] baseball mascot, oriole
[name]Stella[/name] [name]Mae[/name]: [name]Stella[/name] doesn’t match [name]Trinity[/name] for “unique-without-youneek”-ness, but it works & it’s pretty
[name]Tabitha[/name] [name]Mae[/name] / [name]June[/name]: different vibes – [name]Trinity[/name]'s a lot more modern, whereas [name]Tabitha[/name]'s “old-lady cute”
[name]Scarlett[/name] [name]Mae[/name] / [name]June[/name]: see [name]Stella[/name], plus I feel it’s very trendy
[name]Reese[/name]: it goes, but almost too much; it’s like [name]Reese[/name] doesn’t bring a lot to the table & [name]Trinity[/name] would overshadow her
[name]Rowan[/name]: as with [name]Reese[/name]
[name]Zoe[/name]: see [name]Stella[/name] / [name]Scarlett[/name]

I really like all of these names, but they just don’t match [name]Trinity[/name] to my ear / eye; I think it’s an issue of modernity and strength:
[name]Violet[/name]
[name]Annabelle[/name] / [name]Arabella[/name] / [name]Arella[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name]
[name]Tessa[/name]
[name]Ruby[/name]

[name]May[/name] go well with [name]Trinity[/name], but I just don’t love the name:
[name]Avalon[/name] - too “fairies in the mist” / “lady of the lake”
[name]Calandra[/name] / [name]Calantha[/name] - isn’t there a dishwashing detergent / handwash called this?
[name]Sapphire[/name] - there was a nameberry post on this name once, as to if it sounded like a stripper’s name; general consensus was that it did
[name]Willow[/name] - this name is everywhere right now, but I just don’t love it – It’s riding the [name]Willow[/name] [name]Smith[/name] train and is just too trendy for me.
[name]Taliesin[/name] - Pronunciation problems, and having looked it up, I still don’t love it.

[name]Don[/name]'t love the name & don’t think it goes well with [name]Trinity[/name]:
[name]Harper[/name] - hipster trend alert! hipster trend alert!
[name]Gwendolyn[/name] - meh
[name]Keela[/name] - too much (although the more I say it, the more I like it … but I still don’t like it enough to move it to another list)
Tesslyn - sounds made-up
Trella - definitely no double Tr- sounds
[name]Tressa[/name] - as above
[name]Sian[/name] - its masculinity really comes out next to [name]Trinity[/name]
[name]River[/name] - nah
[name]Kinsley[/name]: I’m sorry, I gotta say this one sits way on the bottom of your list for me, it’s just so different from the other names – sits with [name]Ainsley[/name], [name]Mackenzie[/name] and [name]Addison[/name].

… you said you wanted a lot of feedback! :slight_smile:

Oh my goodness! Thank you all so much for your input! I really appreciate the great feedback that you’ve given. Seriously- it took a long list and helped me narrow things down. I’ll have to talk to the other half and see which ones we can agree on. I’ll keep you updated! :slight_smile:

My first thought was looking at what I like with [name]Trinity[/name].

[name]Trinity[/name] and [name]Arabella[/name]; [name]Trinity[/name] and [name]Avalon[/name], [name]Trinity[/name] and [name]Harper[/name], [name]Trinity[/name] and [name]Rowan[/name], [name]Trinity[/name] and [name]Scarlett[/name], [name]Trinity[/name] and [name]Zoe[/name]

[name]Gwendolyn[/name], [name]Sapphire[/name], [name]Reese[/name], and [name]Willow[/name] are all nice enough names that go okay with [name]Trinity[/name], but don’t stand out to me.

[name]Ruby[/name] is one of my favorite names, but I think [name]Trinity[/name] and [name]Ruby[/name] have such different styles. One seems more strong and one more sweet, so I don’t like them together. Same thing with the beautiful [name]Tessa[/name].

[name]Annabelle[/name], [name]Cassia[/name], [name]Juliet[/name], [name]Tabitha[/name] and [name]Violet[/name] are pretty but don’t match [name]Trinity[/name] to me.

The other names I just don’t personally like much.

I think these would go best with [name]Trinity[/name]:

[name]Harper[/name]: [name]Love[/name] it. Goes well with [name]Mae[/name] or [name]June[/name]
[name]Luna[/name]: [name]Luna[/name] [name]Mae[/name] is very pretty
[name]Rowan[/name]
[name]Oriel[/name]
[name]Ruby[/name]: so sweet and spunky with either MN
[name]Scarlett[/name]: [name]Scarlett[/name] [name]Mae[/name] or [name]Scarlett[/name] [name]June[/name] are both lovely
[name]Sian[/name]: though, on second thought, it doesn’t flow well with the MNs
[name]Story[/name]
[name]Violet[/name]
[name]Willow[/name]

I love [name]Avalon[/name] [name]Mae[/name]! I think [name]Scarlett[/name] is great with [name]Trinity[/name], as well. I also agree that [name]Ianthe[/name] would be fabulous as [name]Trinity[/name]'s sister!

The only ones I don’t care for on your list are:
Tesslyn, Trella, [name]Taliesin[/name], [name]Kinsley[/name] and [name]Oriel[/name]

If you are wanting something a little unique, the names [name]Harper[/name], [name]Reese[/name], [name]Stella[/name], [name]Violet[/name] and [name]Ruby[/name] are really popular in some areas right now (I know many new babies with these names where I live)…they could certainly sound trendy in a few years, where [name]Trinity[/name] and several others on your list will not.

Off your list I like:
[name]Avalon[/name]
[name]Harper[/name]- although this is getting very popular
[name]Luna[/name]
[name]Ruby[/name]
[name]Scarlett[/name]
[name]Gwendolyn[/name]
[name]Willow[/name]
[name]Stella[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name]

Ones that are nice, but lack the umph that [name]Trinity[/name] has:
[name]Annabelle[/name]
[name]Cassia[/name]
[name]Tessa[/name]
[name]Violet[/name]
[name]Willow[/name]
[name]Sian[/name]
[name]Zoe[/name]
[name]Rowan[/name]

Ones that feel made up or I just dont care for with [name]Trinity[/name]:
[name]Arabella[/name]
[name]Arella[/name]
[name]Calandra[/name]
[name]Calantha[/name]
[name]Ianthe[/name]
[name]Keela[/name]
[name]Kinsley[/name]
[name]Reese[/name]
[name]River[/name]
[name]Sapphire[/name]
[name]Story[/name]
[name]Tabitha[/name]
[name]Taliesin[/name]
Tesslyn
[name]Tressa[/name]
Trella

My favorite combos:
[name]Avalon[/name] [name]Mae[/name]
[name]Willow[/name] [name]June[/name]
[name]Scarlett[/name] [name]June[/name]

• Also, I would not pronounce [name]Mai[/name] and [name]Mae[/name] the same. [name]Mai[/name]=MY (like [name]Kai[/name] is prn, but with an M)

Others you might like
[name]Aveline[/name]- prn AV-eh-leen
[name]Delia[/name]
[name]Elodie[/name]- orn [name]El[/name]-eh-dee
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Daphne[/name]
[name]Aster[/name]- a less common alternative to [name]Harper[/name]
[name]Briar[/name]
[name]Greer[/name]
[name]Willa[/name]
[name]Sapphira[/name]
[name]Eden[/name]
[name]Amelie[/name]

From your list, I really like [name]Avalon[/name] [name]Mae[/name], [name]Cassia[/name] [name]Mae[/name], [name]Luna[/name] [name]Mae[/name], and [name]Ruby[/name] [name]Mae[/name] with [name]Trinity[/name]. I think I like [name]Cassia[/name] the best. I also love the suggestion of [name]Callista[/name]/[name]Calista[/name].

When reading through your list, [name]Acantha[/name] popped into my head. [name]Do[/name] you like that at all? And if you like [name]Ianthe[/name], what about [name]Xanthe[/name]? [name]Just[/name] a few suggestions for you.

[name]Hope[/name] this helps and good luck!

Oh, wow! You have some amazing options. My favorites:

[name]Arabella[/name] [name]Mae[/name]
[name]Willow[/name] [name]Mae[/name]
[name]Violet[/name] [name]Mae[/name]
[name]Harper[/name] [name]Mae[/name]
[name]Scarlett[/name] [name]Mae[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name] [name]Mae[/name]

I just wanted to add that [name]Mae[/name] is a stunning middle name, and I love its spelling!

Wow! Thanks, thanks, thanks for the input, everyone! I really feel that all of your advice has been great in helping me narrow down the list and come up with great naming options! I also am very grateful for some of the suggestions you have added! After talking it over with the hubby, it seems that the following names are still in the running:

[list=]
[name]Aveline[/name] [name]Mai[/name]
[name]Avalon[/name] [name]Mai[/name]
[name]Cassia[/name] [name]Mae[/name]
[name]Ianthe[/name] [name]Mae[/name]
[name]Luna[/name] [name]Mai[/name]
[name]Stella[/name] [name]Mae[/name]
[/list]

As we continue to whittle down the list, I’ll keep you posted! Again- thanks SO SO SO SO SO much! :smiley:

[name]Aveline[/name] [name]Mai[/name]- My daughters middle name is [name]Aveline[/name] (aveh leen) I get so many compliments on it. I think it goes well with your daughters name
[name]Avalon[/name] [name]Mai[/name]- This is my fave
[name]Cassia[/name] [name]Mae[/name]- Very pretty i like it
[name]Ianthe[/name] [name]Mae[/name]- prefer [name]Xanthe[/name]
[name]Luna[/name] [name]Mai[/name]- nice works with sis name

The names below are nice names but too common to match sisters name:
[name]Stella[/name] [name]Mae[/name]

I do like [name]Avalon[/name] [name]Mae[/name] to go with [name]Trinity[/name] [name]Averill[/name]. Strangely enough, the first names that popped into my head were [name]Genesis[/name] [name]Mae[/name] and [name]Galilee[/name] [name]Mae[/name]. The word “[name]Trinity[/name]” has a religious association for me - Father, [name]Son[/name] and the Holy Sprirt so I immediately thought of these names. Other names that come to mind are [name]Journey[/name] [name]Mae[/name], [name]Arcadia[/name] [name]Mae[/name] or Odyssey [name]Mae[/name]. Good luck!