Marc + Angela = Marcella?

I recently posted [name]Marcella[/name] on a poll and no one voted for it!!!

What do you think of combining mom and dad’s names into a name?
[name]Marc[/name] + [name]Angela[/name] = [name]Marcella[/name]

We recently had a fabulous trip to [name]Italy[/name] and I fell in love with that country, so we would use the Italian pronunciation of [name]Marcella[/name], with a ch sound instead of a soft C.

Nn could be [name]Cella[/name](pronounced chella).

What do you think?

I happen to think [name]Marcella[/name], esp the way you are pronouncing it, is a very pretty name. That being said, I can’t help but think that as a grown woman - or even when I was younger - I would NOT want to have a name that was my parents’ names combined. Something about it sort of icks me out, for lack of a better way of putting it. I think it’s because combining your names like that feels overly sappy - think “Brangelina” - not a way most people want to think of their parents at all, let alone a name they want to have to wear themselves, any more than you want to think of yourself explicitly as the product of your parents’ romantic relationship.

I was going to say I didn’t like it and prefer [name]Marcelle[/name] (one of my best friends is called [name]Marcelle[/name], and I’ve always thought it suited her so beautifully!). But with the Italian pronunciation it completely changes it. [name]Mar[/name]-che-la is so pretty (although she would have to explain that pronunciation).
It’s also different enough from [name]Marc[/name] and [name]Angela[/name] not to be too soppy, I think.

I really like it. It really is more a feminization of [name]Marc[/name] or [name]Marcellus[/name], but I like how it includes both parents. I would not be put off with such a name, except for the names of my own parents do not really mesh so easily and I would end up with a lot more awkward name.

The only thing I can think is wrong with this practice is what kind of names do you give your children (if any) down the line? [name]Will[/name] they be the magical creation your first-born is and get a name derived out of this bond? It’s not that unusual for the first born son to be named after his father or to feminize the father’s name to a daughter, or in some cases both (my paternal grandparents did this). I find it refreshing that many couples honor the mother in their children’s names nowadays, and not just the elder females. If you are combining your names for the first child as a symbolic treasure of the bond of your love, it may make it difficult to come up with a name that means even half as much later on, but maybe not - it’s just something to think about.

I mostly think this is a great combo that just happens to work out and sound like a good name - I love the C(h)ella! I think a lot of people working with this idea aren’t lucky enough to have names that combine well and then go ahead anyway (usually in the way of an unfortunate invented portmanteau a la the aforementioned Brangelina). It is a beautiful idea if it works and this works. I hesitate only to consider future issues, but then again some people find it a lot healthier to cross that bridge when they get to it, and find it wasn’t all that difficult.

I knew a little girl whose name was Christanie, a combination of her father’s name [name]Chris[/name] and her mother’s name [name]Stephanie[/name]. That icked me out. But [name]Marcella[/name] is really a name, plus it’s pretty. So that’s a good thing. Nn [name]Cella[/name] is very cute.
I guess the thing to do is to pretend that your parents thought of a name for you that was a combo of their two names. What would it be? Would you have liked it? Then think of a name combo from your husband’s parents and see how your husband would like it.
If my parents had named be a combo of their two names, it would have been [name]Kendell[/name] maybe ([name]Ken[/name] and [name]Helen[/name]). The way I feel about it would be, I would feel very special, I like the name [name]Kendal[/name], but I would feel really attached and close to them, maybe too close. I would feel so close that I would feel like I should always stay close by and not go out on my own. But that’s just me. Maybe it has to do with a bunch of family baggage that I carry around.

Christanie, haha. That is dreadful. One of my teachers at school was called Ronlyn after (you guessed it) [name]Ron[/name] and [name]Lynn[/name].

[name]Lucky[/name] not everyone does it, because I’d be called Fresley.

I love it! I’m not generally in favor of smooshing names together but in this case, since it is a legitimate name, and you have a lovely family story to go with it, it’s fantastic. Chella is a darling nn too.

I’d love to be able to do the same with my husbands name and my own but Dali I don’t like and [name]Lida[/name] would be a no go form DH.
[name]Marcella[/name] - I like it but don’t love it, that’s just my personal taste. Lately I’ve been thinking about [name]Marla[/name] which when I look at it is also [name]Marc[/name] and [name]Angela[/name] meshed together. I’d use the nn [name]Marlie[/name]/[name]Marley[/name].

[name]Cella[/name] - nice nn. One of the favorite candies in my house is [name]Cella[/name]'s chocolate covered cherries. As a name it feels very decadent and sweet.

[name]Marcella[/name] is beautiful - esp with “ch” sound. I love it.

I think I would combine the names into an anagram:

[name]Marc[/name] + [name]Angela[/name] = “[name]Carma[/name] [name]Angel[/name]”

– [name]Nephele[/name]

I was going to start a game about combing names in your life to make a name for yourself or your child…but I can’t figure out the correct wording. :frowning: Somedays I just have brain farts that I can’t get passed. I guess today is that day! :slight_smile:

I don’t mind [name]Marcella[/name], but its not quite my favorite name. I agree with a PP that mentioned how your other children will feel. [name]Will[/name] they be left out?

I don’t think my parents COULD combine their names for me…[name]Cesare[/name] and [name]Roxann[/name]?
Cesann? Gross… I’ve always joked that our first girl will be [name]Danica[/name]. We’re [name]Dan[/name] and [name]Erica[/name] :slight_smile: I call it our “brangelina” name

The word you need is portmanteau (couple) naming.

Word Origin & [name]History[/name]

portmanteau
1584, “traveling case or bag for clothes and other necessaries,” from M.Fr. portemanteau “traveling bag,” originally “court official who carried a prince’s mantle” (1547), from porte, imperative of porter “to carry” (see porter (1)) + manteau “cloak” (see mantle). Portmanteau word “word blending the sound of two different words,” is 1882, coined by [name]Lewis[/name] [name]Carroll[/name] for the sort of words he invented for “Jabberwocky,” on notion of “two meanings packed up into one word.”
Online Etymology Dictionary, ” 2001 [name]Douglas[/name] [name]Harper[/name]

It’s actually a specific kind of suitcase, but most people (or is it just nerds?) now use it to describe a word that contains parts of two words (like spoon + fork = spork), distinct from a compound word which is a new word made up of two whole words (like play + ground = playground). Portmanteaux have become extremely common in fandom to combine names of couples who exist (real or fictional) or to express their preferred matchups, even if the creator/author doesn’t pair up the two characters (yet or ever).

See also:

That’s funny, I thought I voted for [name]Marcella[/name]. Perhaps it was a close second. :slight_smile: I like both pronunciations of the name, honestly.

I really think it is pretty. I think [name]Marcella[/name] was a character from the Raggedy [name]Ann[/name] stories from way back when.

I think [name]Marcella[/name] is lovely, especially the way you’re pronouncing it, and I like the [name]Cella[/name] nn.
I guess I don’t have an opinion of its being a result of [name]Marc[/name] + [name]Angela[/name]. I feel like I would like the name anyway and this doesn’t add much for me.

I like [name]Marcella[/name]; it’s very pretty, especially the way you’re pronouncing it. I don’t think it’s that bad if you combine your names, as long as it’s a legitimate name like [name]Marcella[/name] and not something like Margela or Angarc…