Marcy a nn for Martha?

My best friend’s name is [name]Martha[/name] and her grandparents have always called her [name]Marcy[/name]. I love the name [name]Marcy[/name], and proposed [name]Martha[/name] nn [name]Marcy[/name] to my husband.

He looked at me like I was crazy.

He does NOT understand how [name]Marcy[/name] can be a nn for [name]Martha[/name]. I’ve been hearing it for so long… I guess I never questioned it. But IS [name]Marcy[/name] a legit nn for [name]Martha[/name]? Or are other people going to think I’m crazy as well?

So what’s the consensus? Is [name]Martha[/name] nn [name]Marcy[/name] acceptable?

Also what other names can I use to get to nn [name]Marcy[/name]?

I mean, I think of [name]Marcy[/name] as its own name. But it’s not so bizarre, [name]Martha[/name] --> [name]Martie[/name]/[name]Marty[/name] is common, then just change the t to s sound / letter c.

I do think other people might react strangely upon first hearing it but surely they’d adapt.

[name]Marsha[/name]/[name]Marcia[/name] seems most readily apparent.

Also [name]Margo[/name], [name]Margaret[/name], etc, with a C middle name.

I think you could use [name]Martha[/name] nn [name]Marcy[/name]… I don’t think it’s an established nn, but it definitely works! I think it’d make even more sense if it had an “S” or “see” sounding name–like [name]Martha[/name] [name]Cecily[/name], nn [name]Marcy[/name]. :slight_smile:

My other idea for [name]Marcy[/name] was [name]Marcheline[/name], nn [name]Marcy[/name]. :slight_smile:

Good luck!

I think it works.

But to me [name]Mary[/name] & [name]Margaret[/name]…and I guess [name]Martha[/name] have a certain leeway. Like a [name]Molly[/name] whose full name was [name]Martha[/name] wouldn’t make me blink. I think if I met a [name]Marcy[/name] I might assume she was just [name]Marcy[/name], or [name]Marcella[/name], [name]Marcia[/name] or [name]Marsha[/name] or [name]Masha[/name] even…but if I knew a [name]Marcy[/name] & she said her full name was [name]Martha[/name] I would think it works. If [name]Margaret[/name] can be [name]Peg[/name], why not?

I do think [name]Marty[/name] is just as cute too.

[name]Marcy[/name] as a nickname for [name]Martha[/name]? Why not?

I’ve only heard [name]Marcy[/name] used as a nickname for [name]Marcia[/name] and [name]Marcella[/name], and it does seem to follow more naturally from those two because [name]Martha[/name] lacks the c. But why not? I think it works for [name]Martha[/name] too.

I think it works just fine. Probably since as soon as I read the thread title I was reminded of the film [name]Martha[/name] [name]Marcy[/name] [name]May[/name] [name]Marlene[/name].

I like the suggestion of [name]Marcia[/name]!