Marcy. Hot or Not?

Nameberry says that [name_f]Marcy[/name_f] is ‘about as hip as bobby sox and saddle shoes.’ [name_f]Do[/name_f] you agree?

I thought [name_f]Marcy[/name_f] was an adorable name, but now I’m not so sure! What are your honest thoughts?

I don’t like [name_f]Marcy[/name_f] so much but for some reason I love [name_f]Marnie[/name_f] and [name_f]Macy[/name_f]/[name_f]Macie[/name_f]. I also think [name_f]Marcie[/name_f] is a cuter spelling than [name_f]Marcy[/name_f], again I don’t know why!

Oof, kind of a harsh description! [name_f]Marcy[/name_f]’s not quite my style, but I don’t agree with Nameberry on this one–I think it’s useable if you love it! I do prefer [name_f]Marnie[/name_f]/[name_f]Macy[/name_f]/[name_f]Maisie[/name_f]/[name_u]Marlow[/name_u]/other similar choices, but I think [name_f]Marcy[/name_f] would be very wearable. Maybe I’m missing something?

1 Like

Hmm I’m not fond of [name_f]Marcy[/name_f] by itself but I do really like it as a nn for [name_f]Marcella[/name_f]. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh I adore [name_f]Marcy[/name_f]/[name_f]Marcie[/name_f]! So sweet!! Then again, my favourite names are all ones that peaked in the 70s/80s really :woman_shrugging:t3::joy:

2 Likes

I don’t love it when NB gives certain names negative descriptions, especially a name as harmless as [name_f]Marcy[/name_f]! I have always liked [name_f]Marcy[/name_f] (and [name_u]Darcy[/name_u] and [name_f]Macy[/name_f]). it’s an adorable name, I personally would consider it for a baby. :two_hearts:

2 Likes

It’s not my style. Seems dated.

[name_f]Marcy[/name_f] sounds a little dated to me (close family friend in her 60s), but I met a super charming [name_f]Marcella[/name_f] in her 20s who goes by [name_f]Marcy[/name_f] and it totally works for her!

2 Likes

Vintage names, especially those that are short or ‘nickname-like’ ([name_f]Elsie[/name_f], [name_f]Sadie[/name_f], [name_f]Winnie[/name_f]) have been making a pretty decent comeback lately, and I think [name_f]Marcy[/name_f] fits that style perfectly. I can definitely see it working well for a modern-day child and adult.

Reframe the negative ‘unfashionable’ intention that comes with ‘about as hip as bobby sox and saddle shoes’ - [name_f]Marcy[/name_f] today is beautifully vintage, fresh and different without being outlandish.

2 Likes

I think it’s cute!

1 Like

If you think it’s an adorable name, that’s all that matters! For the record, I do too, and am also a fan of [name_f]Marcella[/name_f]. I roll my eyes frequently when I read the biased and often snarky descriptions on certain names on this site. I believe writing opinions on names are what the forums are for, not the descriptions…okay soapbox over. But yeah, love [name_f]Marcy[/name_f]! :smiley:

5 Likes

I love [name_f]Marcy[/name_f]! [name_u]Strong[/name_u] but sweet, my favourite balance
I hadn’t looked up the description before, pretty harsh

1 Like

I definitely think [name_f]Marcy[/name_f] is usable, on its own or as a nickname for Marcelline or [name_f]Marcella[/name_f]. Despite the Peanuts character, I don’t think it was used widely enough to be overly tied to a particular era. To my ear, [name_f]Marcy[/name_f] as a nickname for [name_f]Marcia[/name_f] might not be exactly on trend, but as a stand-alone or as a nickname for [name_f]Marcella[/name_f] or Marcelline, I think it fits in without being ubiquitous.

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] friend just named her little girl [name_f]Marcy[/name_f]! I was really surprised, but like @[name_f]Sunniva[/name_f] said, with [name_f]Elsie[/name_f] becoming so popular (esp in Australia) [name_f]Marcy[/name_f] definitely fits in as another vintage darling.

1 Like

[name_f]Marcy[/name_f] is cute. I like it

1 Like

The NB description is hilarious. I don’t like [name_f]Marcy[/name_f], sounds dated and frumpy.

1 Like

Some of the Nameberry descriptions can be pretty harsh! I looked up [name_f]Leanne[/name_f] the other day and it said “There are many spelling variations… They’re all dated now.” Like, okay, be brutally honest NB! I think [name_f]Marcy[/name_f] is lovely, it sounds kinda vintagey and pretty. I think I prefer [name_f]Marnie[/name_f] but [name_f]Marcy[/name_f] is nice too.

1 Like

I agree! It feels a bit like a punch in the gut when you look up a name you like to find out its meaning, only to be met with a snarky remark from an editor.

2 Likes

I think [name_f]Marcy[/name_f] is a really sweet name! I also adore [name_f]Mercy[/name_f] :blush:

1 Like

I want so much to like this name, but it just sounds dated to me. Somehow [name_u]Darcy[/name_u] is cute and fresh, and [name_f]Marcy[/name_f] isn’t. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you like [name_u]Darcy[/name_u] ([name_f]Darci[/name_f]), [name_f]Marlee[/name_f], [name_f]Marnie[/name_f], or [name_f]Mercy[/name_f]? I LOVE @Kittylitter’s suggestion of [name_f]Marcella[/name_f] though. [name_f]Marceline[/name_f] would be another gorgeous way to have the “[name_m]Marc[/name_m]” syllable, though.

1 Like