Mardette? Dali?

What do you ladies think about the name Mardette? Or the name Dali ([name]Dal[/name]-ee, the begining sound of [name]Dallas[/name])?

These are the top 2 names on my sister-in-laws list. My brother doesn’t like either one. [name]Nor[/name] do I personally. But I wanted to know what all you Berries think about them.

I also wanted to share their other children’s names: [name]Jessica[/name] (6) and twins, [name]Olivia[/name] and [name]James[/name] (3). I guess out of these two names Mardette would sound better but I think Dali doesn’t match the other names at all. There is no connection at all.

Really? No thoughts on either name? Bummer.

My thought is that little Mardette / Dali is going to wonder why her parents decided to do hallucinogens after she was born. Those names are so different from the first three that, just looking at the names, I bet a whole lot of people would assume that #4 belonged to a different mom / dad with different tastes.

As far as the names themselves go, not a fan. The “[name]Mar[/name]” sound at the beginning of “Mardette” sounds negative to me, like the verb “to mar,” or to damage. With Dali, everyone will assume her parents were big surrealist fans, i.e. [name]Salvador[/name] Dali.

[name]Odette[/name] & [name]Dolly[/name] are prettier, more normal names.

I thought the same thing. My brother as well.

My sister in law doesn’t even know who [name]Salvador[/name] Dali is… I am really hoping that she comes to her senses and also realizes how her husband hates the names as well.

She’s gone from completely classic names to Mardette and Dali!? STRANGE!

Hmmm… If she likes Dali pronounced like “[name]Dallas[/name]”, maybe she’d like [name]Dahlia[/name]? That’s our daughter’s given name, and her nickname is Dahlie, pronounced that same way. It’s much more feminine. :wink:

Last time I recall [name]Dahlia[/name] being mentioned here, it was in the context of pronunciation issues. Americans say it with a short A, but Britons with a long A, and because the name and flower are said the same, it’ll be nearly impossible to correct someone used to the pronunciation you don’t use.

Interesting to see [name]Odette[/name] called “more normal” - I thought it was quite unusual, at least in English-speaking countries. Admittedly, I’d never even heard of Mardette, but that doesn’t make me hate it.

Okay, this post is not timely, but in case another person does a search on Dali… We named our daughter Mandala, with Dali as her nickname (I’m not a fan of [name]Mandy[/name], so we established Dali early). It is definitely uncommon, but both my husband and I hear regulary how pretty her name is. From a school perspecctive, we haven’t seen any issues with spelling/teasing.