Maren, Wren, Maile, Lucille, Lux or Suggestions?

I’ve been following the naming boards for a few months, but this is my first post. My husband and I are expecting our first baby (a girl) in [name]July[/name]! I feel as if I’ve suggested thousands of names and he has vetoed nearly all of them. The very few he has brought to the table, I’m not super fond of. We have a short list of names we both like to varying degrees. What are your thoughts on these. Our last name is Carr.

[name]Maren[/name] nn [name]Wren[/name] we both have concerns about her being called [name]Mary[/name] which neither of us are fond of
[name]Wren[/name] we both like, but have concerns about it being suitable for an adult
[name]Maile[/name] added to list today - his mom is adopted from [name]Hawaii[/name], so that connection is nice
[name]Lucille[/name] nn [name]Lux[/name] My grandmothers name - he would only use to get nn [name]Lux[/name]
[name]Lux[/name] His top pick. I like as a nn, but feel a full name is needed - major concerns about “[name]Lux[/name] Sux” “[name]Lux[/name] F**”

[name]Just[/name] to get a sense of our differing styles:
I like: [name]Charlotte[/name], [name]Millicent[/name], [name]Brielle[/name], [name]Beatrice[/name], [name]Camille[/name], [name]Marie[/name], and many more names
Hubby Likes: [name]Molly[/name], [name]Amy[/name], [name]Elise[/name], [name]Lux[/name] (his only suggestions so far…)

Input on our short list? Other suggestions?

I like [name]Maren[/name] and [name]Maile[/name] best (am I pronouncing it right as “[name]May[/name]-elle”?) [name]Lucille[/name] isn’t bad either.
Please take this constructively but I hate, detest [name]Lux[/name]. I hate it as a nickname and even more as a given name. My mind wants to jump to either “Lox”, “[name]Lex[/name]” (like [name]Lex[/name] [name]Luther[/name], mainly) or “Deluxe”.

Thanks for your feedback, snacktress. [name]Maile[/name] is actually pronounced like [name]Miley[/name]. We would pronounce [name]Maren[/name] like [name]Karen[/name].

My husband is really stuck on [name]Lux[/name] and nothing else compares for him. He heard it on a tv series, Life Unexpected. I also think Deluxe or Luxurious Carr :confused: I liked the name at first I think because he was so excited about it, but as months go by I doubt the name more and more…

I really love the name [name]Lux[/name] but DH vetoed it very strongly and I suppose it’s probably for the best. It’s also the name of one of the girls in the novel/movie “The Virgin Suicides”. And with your last name, I agree- it would make for a lot of teasing material. I like [name]Lucille[/name] not so much for the full name but for the nn possibilities. I like [name]Wren[/name], too, but [name]Wren[/name] Carr just doesn’t work for me. Maryn Carr is pretty :slight_smile:

I don’t really care for [name]Lux[/name] although I do like the Spanish [name]Luz[/name] if that could work. [name]Lucille[/name] is the one I like the best out of your list. Could you use one of the names you like as a fn and one that DH likes as a mn? It seems like quite a few of yours would make good combinations: [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Amy[/name], [name]Millicent[/name] [name]Elise[/name], [name]Beatrice[/name] [name]Molly[/name], etc. Also, could you go with one of the ones you like and a nn that he likes-- for instance, if you used [name]Millicent[/name], [name]Milly[/name] is pretty close to [name]Molly[/name]; [name]Charlotte[/name] could be [name]Lottie[/name], etc. I don’t really think of [name]Mary[/name] as a nn for [name]Maren[/name], but I agree with the above comment, [name]Wren[/name] Carr does not sound good. Here are a few other suggestions that might work:

[name]Imogen[/name]
[name]Blythe[/name]
[name]Verity[/name]
[name]Dorothea[/name]
[name]Faye[/name]
[name]Liza[/name]
[name]Avis[/name]
[name]Phoebe[/name]
[name]Tabitha[/name]
[name]Amity[/name] (nn [name]Amy[/name]?)
[name]Aminta[/name] (nn [name]Amy[/name]?)

I really love [name]Maren[/name] and [name]Wren[/name]. We are also getting ready to have a little girl and have thought about [name]Maren[/name] but maybe spelled [name]Marin[/name], or Merrin. [name]Lucile[/name] is cute too but I would think people may try and call her [name]Lucy[/name].
Good luck!

[name]How[/name] about [name]Maile[/name] [name]Lucille[/name] Carr? [name]Maile[/name] from his side, [name]Lucille[/name] from yours. He can call her [name]Lux[/name] for short then.

Formally, I would have the same hesitations for [name]Lux[/name] as you do for [name]Wren[/name]. It might sound too cute when she is older. However, [name]Wren[/name] has that gentle round sound that grows old nicely as a middle name, whereas I’m not sure [name]Lux[/name] does. [name]Imagine[/name] your daughter as a 60 or 70 year old introducing herself… using [name]Wren[/name] or [name]Lux[/name].