Margaret Louise Ashford

Confusing story here, but I’ll try my best to explain.
Okay, this girl hates her old-fashioned name, [name]Margaret[/name], and everyone refuses to call her any nicknames. So when she gets to a new town, she immediately calls herself [name]Margo[/name], intending to stop anyone from thinking her name is [name]Margaret[/name]. And then eventually, she meets a friend who won’t call her [name]Margo[/name], because he has bad connections with the name, and calls her [name]Mae[/name] instead. Thoughts? Does [name]Margo[/name]/[name]Mae[/name] Ashford sound good? Also, is it reminding you too much of Fiyero and Elphaba (Elphaba–[name]Fae[/name], [name]Margaret[/name]–[name]Mae[/name])? Thanks :slight_smile:

Not at all. Unless the boy’s called Fiyero I wouldn’t even think of them :wink:

I don’t know if renaming her three times might be a bit much though. My character went from using the initials of her three names to just using her first name. It was easy for me to make the change as I called her by her ‘real’ name all the time in my head but I still fretted over it in case people were really attached to her former name and found it difficult to adjust. I definitely couldn’t do it three times.

it sounds good, and I don’t know anyone named Fiyero, so, yeah. I’m fine with it. If you don’t have a name for the friend, you can name him [name]Maxwell[/name] nn [name]Max[/name], or [name]Anthony[/name], nn [name]Tony[/name].

OMG I [name]LOVE[/name] WICKED SO MUCH OMG

No, that was a really really minor thing in the book. I think it was mentioned three or four times, if I remember correctly.

I don’t see why everyone wouldn’t just call her by a nickname; I’ve actually had the OPPOSITE problem in my life. Everyone ends up calling me [name]Celia[/name], even if I introduce myself as [name]Cecilia[/name] and refer to myself as such in all things (I’m not too insistent, though). Hopefully you have a really good reason for that, otherwise people will get confused.

And like renrose said, changing names a lot gets confusing. I have a character named [name]Hazel[/name], who is called [name]Elle[/name] by her boyfriend, but everyone else calls her [name]Hazel[/name]. I couldn’t add another name in there, I’D get confused. Maybe she has the same problem in this new town with everyone calling her [name]Margaret[/name], and he has problems with [name]Margaret[/name], so HE calls her [name]Margo[/name]. [name]Just[/name] to knock out some naming confusion.

Of course if the three names are IMPERATIVE to the coherence of the story, then keep them, and to answer your question, yes, [name]Mae[/name] is a perfectly acceptable nickname for [name]Margaret[/name] that doesn’t evoke Elphaba at all (as wonderful as that association may be).

I’m so happy to find yet another Wicked fan! :slight_smile:
Okay, to answer some questions: She is actually only called [name]Margaret[/name] for a few pages into the book, so I don’t personally think it would be too confusing. And she doesn’t really like him calling her [name]Mae[/name], but he doesn’t like calling her [name]Margo[/name], so for a while he just calls her a lot of random things until he comes up with [name]Mae[/name]. Oh, and her old friends and family back home are very attached to calling her [name]Margaret[/name], because it’s a huge family name and it’s honoring a lot of ancestors. I’m actually kind of liking the suggestion of cutting out one of the names–everyone calls her [name]Margaret[/name], but he has bad connections with that name, so he calls her [name]Mae[/name]… That actually makes a little more sense, since [name]Mae[/name] is a nickname for [name]Margaret[/name], not [name]Margo[/name]… [name]One[/name] more question: I need a name for the boy now. So far, I’ve got [name]Calvin[/name], [name]Soren[/name], and [name]Wyatt[/name]. Preferences? More suggestions? You guys are the best :slight_smile:

I love the little bit of tension things like this add. It makes stories so much more real to include such a simple, everyday problem like a name.

I really like [name]Calvin[/name], and [name]Wyatt[/name] would fit him real well too. [name]Soren[/name] doesn’t sound right for me, with the ‘sore’ in there.

Pick a personality trait/important aspect of him and find a name to represent that. Or, since [name]Margaret[/name] clearly has a history, figure out why/what his parents named him.

I think it’s great and I don’t think that changing the name that many times is an issue

I think the boy should be called [name]Wyatt[/name], since [name]Calvin[/name] reminds me of [name]Calvin[/name] and [name]Hobbes[/name].

[name]Wyatt[/name] is a good name, not too common, but still a fairly common name. [name]Calvin[/name] I don’t prefer, it, for some reason, always makes me think of some really nerdy guy wearing a plaid shirt. :slight_smile: [name]Don[/name]'t know why, but still, that’s the image I get in my head.

I think [name]Wyatt[/name] has won my heart (for now) :slight_smile: Thanks for all the help, guys! You all rock!