Margaux or Eloise?

Have posted here before, but finally narrowing it down to our top two baby names for kid #3: [name_f]Margaux[/name_f] and [name_f]Eloise[/name_f]! Would love to hear your thoughts.

Big siblings are [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] and [name_m]George[/name_m], we love timeless classic names. Last name starts with an E.

Which do you prefer and why? We are so torn!

Here are my current pros and cons:

[name_f]Margaux[/name_f]

Pros:

• [name_m]Just[/name_m] a beautiful name! I speak [name_m]French[/name_m] and love [name_m]French[/name_m] names.
  • Similar to [name_f]Margaret[/name_f], which was the name of a dear family member. Same meaning too.
  • Takes us further from royal family comparisons which drive me nuts (Charlotte and [name_m]George[/name_m] are longtime family names)
  • It’s Charlotte’s favorite choice :slight_smile:

Cons:

• Same first initial as my husband, more confusing when we use shorthand
  • We know two neighborhood Margaux’s and one [name_f]Margot[/name_f]
  • More likely to be misspelled, maybe a bit harder for her to learn how to spell (though the 5yo Margaux’s we know have no trouble there)

[name_f]Eloise[/name_f]

Pros:

• [name_f]Love[/name_f] [name_f]Elle[/name_f] and [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] as nicknames
  • [name_f]Love[/name_f] the alliteration of [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] E
  • No neighborhood kids that we know of, no friends with kids named [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] (obviously if we use Elle/Ellie there may be more bc of [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], [name_f]Ella[/name_f], etc)
  • [name_f]Every[/name_f] family member gets their own initial
  • Continues the literary theme (Charlotte’s [name_m]Web[/name_m], Curious [name_m]George[/name_m], Eloise)
  • Only one spelling (though not necessarily an easy one?)

Cons:

• Maybe too close to [name_m]Louis[/name_m] from the UK royals? Not sure if people would make that comparison but I’m v tired of it with [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] and [name_m]George[/name_m] (I do think calling her [name_f]Elle[/name_f] would avoid that entirely though!)
  • More common, esp if we use Elle/Ellie

Would love to hear what you think!!

2 Likes

Can’t go wrong, I prefer [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] with the other two.

1 Like

Both are great, but I prefer [name_f]Eloise[/name_f]!

I adore [name_f]Margaux[/name_f]! This is my favorite spelling too. [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] is also lovely.

[name_f]My[/name_f] favourite is [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] but for me, [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] is much to common and overused so I would choose [name_f]Margaux[/name_f] which is beautiful as well.

I love [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] nn [name_f]Ellie[/name_f]! It goes well with siblings too.

I prefer [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] with the sibling names, it feels more natural with [name_m]George[/name_m] especially.
I do love [name_f]Margot[/name_f] but the [name_f]Margaux[/name_f] spelling makes me want to pronounce it the [name_m]French[/name_m] way, mar-GO.

[name_f]Eloise[/name_f]. That would be so cute with [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] and [name_m]George[/name_m]. I don’t think most people would connect [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] and [name_m]Louis[/name_m].

I’d definitely pick [name_f]Eloise[/name_f]! I’d lean more towards [name_f]Margaux[/name_f] if it was spelt [name_f]Margot[/name_f] (or even Margo), but I think [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] still matches better with your older children’s names!

1 Like

[name_f]Eloise[/name_f]

I really love your children’s names :heart_eyes: So classical, chic and sleek. I actually didn’t think about the royal family, but I’m not from an [name_f]English[/name_f] speaking country. :blush:
Both [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] and [name_f]Margaux[/name_f] are very lovely, but I prefer [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] :heart_eyes: Such a gorgeous vintage beauty. I didn’t think about the Eloise-Louis connection at all, only after you pointed it out I kinda saw it (but only a little bit, and it doesn’t bother me at all). [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] feels more melodious than [name_f]Margaux[/name_f], just a bit softer and some reason [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] feels more balletic and girly than [name_f]Margaux[/name_f]. [name_f]Margaux[/name_f] feels more spunky and tomboyish. Whichever you choose will be stunning :blush:

[name_f]Eloise[/name_f] for sure!

[name_f]Eloise[/name_f] is perfect! I love the “e” ending it has in common with the siblings’ names, as well as the literary connections they all share!

I certainly prefer [name_f]Margaux[/name_f].

Both are beautiful names that would be nice with siblings named Charlotte and George.

I personally prefer Eloise because the spellilng looks nicer to me. I also like that it sounds youthful, while it will also age very well. Margaux is more of an old name. I don’t think the connection to Louis from the royal family is obvious.
For Margaux, I do appreciate the meaningful family member connection for you and it’s also just a fine name. The initial problem wouldn’t be a dealbreaker to me.

[name_f]Margaux[/name_f] :purple_heart:

Also love [name_f]Margo[/name_f], Margot🌸

[name_f]Eloise[/name_f] is pretty but something about the sound is not a favorite. Although cute vibes and goes with a lot of middl names. Slightly prefer [name_f]Elodie[/name_f] :cherry_blossom:

Both choices are great though

It’s a vote for [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] from me :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Both are stunning!

[name_f]Eloise[/name_f] is gorgeous such a beautiful bright preppy name that works wonderfully with your kiddos names.

I love your children’s names - you cannot go wrong with solid classics and for that reason my vote 100% goes for [name_f]Eloise[/name_f]. It’s the same vibe and I love the nicknames. I wouldn’t worry about the [name_f]British[/name_f] [name_m]Royal[/name_m] Family connections - [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] is not the same as [name_m]Louis[/name_m] and I think you should pick the name you like best :slight_smile:

[name_f]Margaux[/name_f] is lovely - warm, vintage, sophisticated and elegant, with plenty of spark and sass too. I love that your daughter likes it and it means it stops you from getting trapped in a ‘Royal-family-corner’.

In terms of the cons, could you do a slightly different shorthand form - like MX, Miss M., or M + middle initial.
[name_f]Margot[/name_f] is fairly popular where I am too - I’ve known a few people who’ve chosen it and met a few too.
It may well be misspelled - by others, but I’m sure she would learn it fairly easily (I know kids with longer, more complex spellings). The thing is with [name_f]Margaux[/name_f], is that it could be [name_f]Margo[/name_f] or [name_f]Margot[/name_f] too, so she might have to explain it whichever you choose :person_shrugging:

[name_f]Eloise[/name_f] is sleek and pretty with a gentle but substantial sound. I’ve met a few Eloises, but not many; I like that it gives everyone their own initial and it is a lovely name. [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] is certainly my intuitive spelling - though I have met an Elouise…
Onto the cons - okay, when I heard [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], [name_m]George[/name_m] and [name_f]Eloise[/name_f], my mind did go to the [name_m]Royal[/name_m] Family. I guess it depends where you are, as with [name_f]Eloise[/name_f], it might not be so obvious outside of the UK? Still, I wouldn’t comment on it if I heard the names together and would probably dismiss it quickly.

Overall, I think my preference is [name_f]Margaux[/name_f] - I like the sound and spark of it best :slight_smile: but honestly, you can’t go wrong with either