Margaux vs Margot

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] everyone! I got weirdly negative comments on another forum, so I thought I would ask here for advice.

My DH and I really want to honour our respective heritages in our daughters name, so we’ve decided on [name_f]Margaux[/name_f]-[name_f]Solveig[/name_f] as her first name. We’re curious on opinions on [name_f]Margaux[/name_f] vs [name_f]Margot[/name_f]. [name_f]Margaux[/name_f] was relatively popular where I lived in [name_f]France[/name_f] growing up, but I think it’s looked down on now. We don’t live in [name_f]France[/name_f] (obviously) and my family aren’t much help at giving us their opinions.

Leave your thoughts/opinions below - one way we’ll definitely not go is [name_f]Margo[/name_f]!

I don’t know where you live which would make a difference. I love both spellings but I think the [name_f]Margot[/name_f] spelling is more expected so would be easier, and the need to correct spelling less likely. A lovely name either way!

As a standalone name I like [name_f]Margot[/name_f] better, BUT [name_f]Margaux[/name_f]-[name_f]Solveig[/name_f] is wonderful and is much better than [name_f]Margot[/name_f]-[name_f]Solveig[/name_f] imo

Sorry, I’m not a huge fan of either [name_f]Margaux[/name_f]-[name_f]Solveig[/name_f] or [name_f]Margot[/name_f]-[name_f]Solveig[/name_f] as a first name - it sounds like a hyphenated last name. Maybe it will work fine where you live, so my view doesn’t matter, but if it is in the UK or the US I think it will be perceived as quite strange.

As for the issue of [name_f]Margaux[/name_f] vs [name_f]Margot[/name_f], I definitely prefer [name_f]Margot[/name_f].

I love the name [name_f]Margaux[/name_f] and whilst I like both spellings, [name_f]Margaux[/name_f] is my preference. Something about it just appeals to me visually.

I personally prefer [name_f]Margot[/name_f] -it just looks tidied and more concise to me but [name_f]Margaux[/name_f] is good too - if that’s the one you prefer, go for it

On its own I prefer [name_f]Margot[/name_f] to [name_f]Margaux[/name_f], but with [name_f]Solveig[/name_f] I think [name_f]Margaux[/name_f] looks nicer.

I like [name_f]Margaux[/name_f].

I prefer [name_f]Margaux[/name_f]. Would you mind avoiding hyphen?

I prefer [name_f]Margot[/name_f]. [name_f]Margaux[/name_f] does seem a lot more [name_m]French[/name_m] though, and I would probably assume someone using that spelling had some ties to [name_f]France[/name_f]. I think your location probably makes a difference too, as [name_f]Margot[/name_f] would be the go to spelling for most here in the UK

I have always much preferred [name_f]Margaux[/name_f]. It is more appealing visually, more exotic and interesting and is more suggestive of [name_m]French[/name_m] connections. [name_f]Margaux[/name_f]-[name_f]Solveig[/name_f] is quite lovely, with or without the hyphen. I expect outside of name forums and outside Europe people will be a bit flummoxed by the name. I wouldn’t let that stop you though! You are not naming to please other people and I think your daughter will love it. If however, being easy to spell, recognise or explain to other people is an important factor to you then you may choose [name_f]Margot[/name_f].

We live in [name_u]Sweden[/name_u], where [name_f]Solveig[/name_f] is known as a girls name, hence why we’re not really worried about it.

We’re only thinking of using a hyphen to differentiate between her first name and her middle name, we might take it out if it feels right!

Thanks guys!!! We’ve been thinking and your help has helped guide some discussions.

For clarity, we live in [name_u]Sweden[/name_u] right now, where [name_f]Solveig[/name_f] is very common and wouldn’t cause confusion. To a certain extent, I’d say people here are less used to [name_f]Margot[/name_f], so the different spelling might not affect them as much as it would in the UK/US.

I like [name_f]Margaux[/name_f] as a first and the [name_f]Margot[/name_f] spelling as a middle.

Both are nice, but I prefer [name_f]Margot[/name_f] as the spelling is more familiar to me.

If you live in [name_u]Sweden[/name_u] and you plan on raising your daughter there, you might want to consider the spelling that will be easier for pronunciation by Swedes.

I think if you live in an English speaking country than [name_f]Margot[/name_f] is going to be easier to pronounce and it’s my preference but I think in the context of the name [name_f]Margaux[/name_f]-[name_f]Solveig[/name_f] that the french spelling is better.