Margot and Maisie

See the results of this poll: Maisie as nn for Margot?

Respondents: 54 (This poll is closed)

• No, it’s weird - pick one. : 15 (28%)
  • Sure, maybe a bit odd, but who cares? : 28 (52%)
  • Totally works!: 11 (20%)

My name’s [name_f]Margret[/name_f] but I go by [name_f]Pearl[/name_f], even though Margaret means [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] in Latin . . . I say nicknames don’t even have to do with names. I used to get called ‘[name_f]Bea[/name_f]’. And [name_f]Maisie[/name_f] such a cute name! Go for it!

I could see it working but only as a family nickname or with [name_f]Margot[/name_f] as the formal name that she only uses for official things.
As an everday nickname, having people call her both, they’re a bit too different in sound for me and I find [name_f]Margot[/name_f] too “informal” (compared to the buttoned-up [name_f]Margaret[/name_f], [name_f]Margot[/name_f] sounds fun and sweet) to need such a cutesy nickname to “justify” the full and nickname sounding very little alike.

[name_m]Just[/name_m] the fact you said “pick one” in one of your options says it all I think. It’s obvious you’re not quite 100% on the idea and I think if that’s so then you shouldn’t do it. You should absolutely adore the name and if there is one nickname too.
Personally, I think [name_f]Mae[/name_f] would work much better as a nickname than [name_f]Maisie[/name_f]. [name_f]Margot[/name_f] is an exceptionally beautiful name though and indecision over a nickname shouldn’t put you off!

I think it could work! [name_f]Maisie[/name_f] is a super charming nickname. It may be best to just use it as a family nn though, as the connection is not super obvious.

Also, if I had a [name_f]Margo/name_f, I would probably use the nicknames [name_u]Mo[/name_u] & [name_f]Mari[/name_f], so maybe you will like those as well? Good luck :slight_smile:

[name_u]Love[/name_u], love, love [name_f]Maisie[/name_f]! As a stand alone name or a nn. It definitely could work as a nn for [name_f]Margot[/name_f]. As someone else mentioned a lot of nn have nothing to do with given names. If you love it, then use it.

Thanks for the comments/votes!

I voted for maybe a bit odd, but doable. The fact that both are diminutives of [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] doesn’t bother me, since [name_f]Margot[/name_f] has such a history of use as a full name and [name_f]Maisie[/name_f] has a more nicknamey/cutesy feel, with the “ee” ending. The main thing that bothers me is that it feels silly for the nn to be the same length as the full name- for me I feel like the nn should have fewer letters and/or syllables. That might just be me though.

I think it’s no problem at all and [name_f]Maisie[/name_f] is very fun!

Thanks!

@bonfireazalea I tend to agree with you about the length, but like you said, [name_f]Maisie[/name_f] seems more cutesy, while [name_f]Margot[/name_f] is also spunky but more serious.