Marguerite vs Roseline (full names and nicknames)

See the results of this poll: Which full name do you prefer? Which nickname?

Respondents: 47 (This poll is closed)

• Marguerite : 17 (26%)
  • Roseline : 18 (28%)
  • Marguerite nn Maple : 7 (11%)
  • Roseline nn Rosie: 23 (35%)

Hmm…
I prefer Roseline over [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f], their both lovely names with this really appealing European aura. However I’ve always been a fan of ‘[name_f]Rose[/name_f]’ names and Roseline is a beautiful choice she has this very sweet, wholesome appeal. I love how Roseline sounds and I also love the ‘[name_f]Rosie[/name_f]’ nickname I also prefer the [name_f]Rosie[/name_f] nickname over the [name_f]Maple[/name_f]. Their both beautiful choices but Roseline is just more usable and sounds prettier.

I strongly prefer [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f] over Roseline even though they are both beautiful. However, I don’t get the nn [name_f]Maple[/name_f] for [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f]? I would think [name_f]Margie[/name_f], [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] (which I prefer), [name_f]Rita[/name_f], [name_f]Aggie[/name_f] or [name_f]Gertie[/name_f].

Thanks, tori101. I thought there would be a lot of “I don’t like it if you use the nn [name_f]Maple[/name_f]” and I get that it’s not for everyone. I don’t know why but I just can’t let go of it, though I’d never use it as a formal name. I agree that Roseline is so pretty- I’m shocked it isn’t used more. Only 11 girls in 2012 and 12 with the [name_f]Rosaline[/name_f] spelling. I’m just a little worried she won’t be the only one if she chooses to go by [name_f]Rosie[/name_f], since there are so many [name_f]Rose[/name_f] names and floral names have been more popular in recent years.

[name_m]How[/name_m] are you pronouncing Roseline? I know that [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m]'s creation [name_f]Rosaline[/name_f] was rah-zuh-lin, but yours looks more like roh-zeh-leen. If so, that’s beautiful.
[name_f]Marguerite[/name_f]'s not bad, but nickname [name_f]Maple[/name_f] is a stretch.

We would pronounce it [name_f]ROSE[/name_f] uh line. I think the -leen and [name_f]Roz[/name_f] uh lin pronunciations are pretty but given our geographical location and a couple of other factors, we would prn it like [name_f]Caroline[/name_f]. I know a lot of people (including my family) don’t understand [name_f]Maple[/name_f] but I actually prefer unrelated nicknames a lot of the time. I know it won’t be everyone’s favorite on here, either, but I can’t help but love it. I don’t want her to have anyone else with her name or at least nickname in school or anything, which makes me hesitant with [name_f]Rosie[/name_f].

I don’t mind as a general statement unrelated nicknames, I just think there should be some sort of reason behind them. Some story behind [name_f]Maple[/name_f] that got her her name. My brother, who has a French name that begins with R, went by Moose for the first five years of his life.

If originality is your concern, there are a variety of nicknames besides [name_f]Marge[/name_f] or [name_f]Margie[/name_f] (which, by the way, I’ve never heard anyone go by) or [name_f]Rosie[/name_f].
[name_f]Marguerite[/name_f]: [name_f]Meg[/name_f], [name_f]Mara[/name_f], Rit (reet), [name_f]Rita[/name_f], [name_f]Meg[/name_f], [name_f]Mare[/name_f]
Roseline: [name_f]Lina[/name_f] (prn. [name_f]Lyna[/name_f]), [name_f]Ro[/name_f]/[name_f]Roe[/name_f], [name_m]Zel[/name_m], [name_f]Rona[/name_f]

[name_f]Marguerite[/name_f] and Roseline are about tied for me. [name_m]Both[/name_m] really nice. [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f] has a slight edge right now… I prefer [name_f]Rosie[/name_f] to [name_f]Maple[/name_f] though.

[name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m]'s pronunciation for [name_f]Rosaline[/name_f] (spelt like this) was ‘roz-a-line’ actually.

I love [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f] :slight_smile: Not so keen on [name_f]Maple[/name_f] as a nickname though, not sure how that works.

@bibliophile, I feel stupid for not mentioning that there is a reason behind [name_f]Maple[/name_f]. It just has nothing to do with the name [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f], which was my husband’s suggestion. I thought it would be a nice compromise to use the name he loves most (since he will call her that) and then I could call her by the nickname I love but wouldn’t use as a given name.

Full name: I chose [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f]. I think it’s so classic and beautiful, and it was my great-grandmother’s first name (we share our middle name).

Nickname: I chose Roseline nn [name_f]Rosie[/name_f], only because I really do not like [name_f]Maple[/name_f] as a nn for [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f] ([name_f]Maple[/name_f] as a stand-alone name is fine to me). Also, I would pronounce it rozz-uh-LEEN or rozz-uh-[name_f]LINE[/name_f], not [name_f]ROSE[/name_f]-eh-line.

I think [name_f]Maisie[/name_f], [name_f]Margie[/name_f], [name_f]Rita[/name_f], [name_f]Margot[/name_f] and [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] are all great nicknames for [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f].

[name_f]Maple[/name_f] has nothing to do with [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f], honestly its one of the most ridiculous nicknames ive seen on this site so far.

everyone she met would think it odd, name her [name_f]Maple[/name_f] if you like the name so much.

dont make your childs life more complicated than it has to be.

just to make sure you stay away from it, i vote [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] without [name_f]Rosie[/name_f]. think making a nickname goes against the whole point of dressing up [name_f]Rose[/name_f] into [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] into the first place.

Thanks for all of your comments! @orphanedhanyou, I appreciate that you don’t like [name_f]Maple[/name_f] but unrelated nicknames have long been used and don’t have to come from a pre-approved list. [name_m]Just[/name_m] to be clear, I want to have a nickname in mind in case I decide to call her by one, not that I wouldn’t use her given name. The name we’re considering is Roseline, a variant of [name_f]Rosaline[/name_f] (Shakespearean), not [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f].

I am a bit of a traditionalist, so I definitely prefer [name_f]Rosaline[/name_f] nn [name_f]Rosie[/name_f]. Best of both worlds- beautiful first name, with an adorable nn. She cangoby [name_f]Rose[/name_f], [name_f]Rosie[/name_f], or [name_f]Rosaline[/name_f] when she’s older.

Not a big fan of [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f] (I do like [name_f]Margaret[/name_f]), but I’m especially not a fan of [name_f]Maple[/name_f] - it’s just a little too out there for my taste.