Maria Eduarda: the trend

Hello!

Currently, I’m on a journey to (re) discover names that I would realistically use a.k.a acceptable by Brazilian standards.

[name_f]My[/name_f] brother is in college right now and commented that there are a ton of women named [name_f]Maria[/name_f] [name_f]Eduarda[/name_f] or [name_f]Eduarda[/name_f]. The common nickname for it is Duda (unisex).

And because almost all Brazilian trends can be traced back to [tele]novelas, I researched a little bit. And YEAH! During 1997-98, there was a novela called Por [name_m]Amor[/name_m] and the main characters were a mother-daughter duo: [name_f]Helena[/name_f] and [name_f]Maria[/name_f] Eduarda/Eduarda.

The character

Copy-paste from Wikipedia in Portuguese:

The character [name_f]Maria[/name_f] [name_f]Eduarda[/name_f], played by [name_f]Gabriela[/name_f] [name_m]Duarte[/name_m], did not please viewers at the beginning of the soap opera, who began to campaign against the character, even calling for her death on an internet website. In an interview, the actress stated that these campaigns did not affect her personally, as they only involved her character in the soap opera, thus considering it a healthy controversy. The character won over viewers halfway through the plot, causing the public to ask her to remain in the soap opera until the end.

So what do you all think of the name/s?

[name_f]My[/name_f] opinion

I don’t like the name [name_f]Maria[/name_f] [name_f]Eduarda[/name_f] or [name_f]Eduarda[/name_f], probably because I know too many just link my brother :sweat_smile:. Also, I prefer harsh and short and [name_f]Eduarda[/name_f] is harsh but long.

4 Likes

This is an interesting trend! I’m quite liking [name_f]Eduarda[/name_f] as a name I don’t hear very often, it holds an appeal of novelty.

Are there any current characters who you think might influence today’s baby namers?

That’s so interesting how influential a TV Soap can be on name trends - and I guess just popular culture in general!

[name_f]Maria[/name_f] [name_f]Eduarda[/name_f] is interesting to me, having never heard it or met one - I think it’s the unusualness of two longer names as double names that makes it distinctive. [name_f]Do[/name_f] I like it? Not sure. While Duda is cool, I feel like here, she’d just become [name_f]Maria[/name_f] :grin: and I’m not a fan of [name_m]Edward[/name_m] so :person_shrugging:

I don’t really watch novelas anymore (I prefer the 6PM ones, which are lighthearted and full of happy endings compared to the 9PM ones, but currently I work at this time). However, Renascer (the remake) seems to be a favorite among the masses. Based on what’s popular nowadays (link), I think Bento, [name_f]Rita[/name_f] and [name_f]Joana[/name_f] may appeal soon-to-be parents. These names are slightly vintage, but not “old”, like the whole vibe I get from these lists.

1 Like

It’s very fun to keep up with the new names based on pop culture! :laughing:

Cultural difference plays a huge role here: a [name_f]Maria[/name_f] Something is almost always called by Something (or nickname of Something or a combined nickname) in [name_m]Brazil[/name_m]. Never just [name_f]Maria[/name_f]. The [name_f]Maria[/name_f] combos in general can be super long by English/American standards - [name_f]Maria[/name_f] [name_f]Carolina[/name_f], [name_f]Maria[/name_f] Angélica, [name_f]Maria[/name_f] [name_f]Cristina[/name_f], [name_f]Maria[/name_f] Helena…

From the top 10 names of registered female babies in 2023, we have [name_f]Maria[/name_f] [name_f]Alice[/name_f], [name_f]Maria[/name_f] Cecília and [name_f]Maria[/name_f] [name_f]Clara[/name_f].

(I have so many relatives mentioned here :sweat_smile:)

2 Likes

This is very interesting! Thanks for your research @pindorama. :slight_smile:

What are some other popular names in [name_m]Brazil[/name_m]? I think it’s fascinating that some of the top names are [name_f]Maria[/name_f] [name_f]Alice[/name_f], [name_f]Maria[/name_f] Cecília and [name_f]Maria[/name_f] [name_f]Clara[/name_f], because those three names (Alice, [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] and Clara) feel very much on-trend in [name_f]English[/name_f] (where, for example, [name_f]Eduarda[/name_f] does not).

We don’t have such a comprehensive and easy to use tool like the SSA.gov for Americans (my namenerd heart cries), BUT we do have the top 10 registered names every year :pray: 2023…

Traditional by Brazilian standards - [name_m]Miguel[/name_m], [name_m]Arthur[/name_m], [name_m]Davi[/name_m], [name_m]Samuel[/name_m], [name_m]Bernardo[/name_m]. With the exception of [name_m]Bernard[/name_m], all the [name_f]English[/name_f] equivalent seems pretty ok and not surprising (Biblical names).

[name_m]Gael[/name_m], [name_m]Theo[/name_m] and [name_m]Heitor[/name_m] are trendy, but still in the comfort zone.

[name_m]Ravi[/name_m] and [name_m]Noah[/name_m] are the international choices. And both surprise me! [name_m]Ravi[/name_m] I can accept - it rhymes with [name_m]Davi[/name_m] (not the Hindi? pronunciation) and DJ Alok (super famous) has a young son named this. BUT NOAH?!?!? That’s not even how we call the Biblical character (Noé). American influence I’m sure.

[name_f]Girl[/name_f] names feel way less adventurous: [name_f]Helena[/name_f], [name_f]Laura[/name_f], [name_f]Maria[/name_f] [name_f]Clara[/name_f], [name_f]Alice[/name_f] and [name_f]Maria[/name_f] [name_f]Alice[/name_f] (yep, both on top 10), Cecília and [name_f]Maria[/name_f] Cecília (againnn). At best, they are slightly vintage like I mentioned.

• [name_f]Heloísa[/name_f] seems to be one of the most old-school choices, but [name_f]Luísa[/name_f] and [name_f]Luiza[/name_f] were super popular until 2020, so… Not really groundbreaking.
  • Another truly vintage choice is [name_f]Antonella[/name_f], but again - Antônia and Antônio are classics.
  • [name_f]Maite[/name_f] is the trendy one and it annoys me for the lack of accent = [name_f]Maitê[/name_f]. [name_f]Maite[/name_f] follows the nickname names that it’s getting popular around the globe, it’s the traditional nickname for [name_f]Maria[/name_f] Tereza/ [name_f]Teresa[/name_f].

Slightly older than me and my age too, there are a ZILLION of Larissas and Letícias. It was the heydays of L names.

Ops, I got excited answering

4 Likes

That’s such great info, thank you! It is so good hearing this from you in [name_m]Brazil[/name_m]. Really interesting!

1 Like

Duda is a fun nickname! I’ve never met a person named [name_f]Eduarda[/name_f], but I know a handful of Eduardos.
[name_f]Eduarda[/name_f] feels quite heavy. However, I find [name_m]Eduardo[/name_m] really charming and handsome. It makes me think about [name_f]Frederica[/name_f] and [name_m]Frederico[/name_m]. I adore [name_m]Frederico[/name_m] nn [name_m]Fred[/name_m]. I would easily consider it for a boy! [name_f]Frederica[/name_f], on the other hand, it sounds a little harsh and dated for a girl/ woman, from my point of view. Drica / Drika is a cool nickname though!
In Portugal, [name_f]Eduarda[/name_f] is used almost exclusively by upper-class families and Brazilian families.
Between [name_f]Maria[/name_f] [name_f]Eduarda[/name_f] or [name_f]Eduarda[/name_f] as a first name, I definitely prefer just [name_f]Eduarda[/name_f]. Honestly, I’m extremely tired of [name_f]Maria[/name_f] as a first name. [name_f]Every[/name_f] family has at least one girl/woman named [name_f]Maria[/name_f]. For example, last year, about 1 in 10 girls received the first name [name_f]Maria[/name_f]. Certainly, hundreds of other boys and girls also shared [name_f]Maria[/name_f] as a middle name. Where I live, [name_f]Eduarda[/name_f] as a first name would be surprising!
Telenovelas and reality shows also influenced many naming trends in Portugal. Luena, for example, became really popular during the exhibition of the novela “A única mulher” (2015-2017). It was practically unknown until the show aired on TV. Suddenly, Luena reached top 50, but after the show ended, Luena quickly disappeared. Most parents chose it as an alternative to [name_f]Luana[/name_f]. A lot of Brazilian shows and naming trends have also clearly influenced Portugal’s naming trends! [name_f]Yara[/name_f], [name_f]Yasmin[/name_f], [name_f]Lívia[/name_f], [name_m]Diego[/name_m], [name_m]Enzo[/name_m], [name_m]Gael[/name_m] and [name_m]Nicolas[/name_m] are some of the names that have crossed the ocean over the years.

4 Likes

Interesting. [name_m]Edoardo[/name_m] is very popular for boys in [name_f]Italy[/name_f]. The most common double names start with [name_f]Maria[/name_f] too: [name_f]Maria[/name_f] [name_f]Sole[/name_f], [name_f]Maria[/name_f] Vittoria…

1 Like

That is so interesting! I guess if a lot of people had names that followed the [name_f]Maria[/name_f] [Something] where you are, it would be very confusing if they all went by [name_f]Maria[/name_f]!

1 Like

So interesting hearing about the differences between [name_m]Brazil[/name_m] and Portugal!! I’m the opposite - I love Frederica/ [name_f]Frida[/name_f], but I know just too many Fredericos.

[name_f]Maria[/name_f] Something never died as a trend in [name_m]Brazil[/name_m] (I do think we have more diversity compared to Portugal, but I have no data to prove it, only personal experiences), however, I feel the Marias these days are A) following the trend of vintage names revival; a common name or a trendy name ages A LOT with [name_f]Maria[/name_f] as a first name. And B) it feels like an overcomplicated “how to make a popular name unique” and I say this with zero judgment. If you intend to call your child Cecília/ Cecí, [name_f]Maria[/name_f] Cecília will not help set her apart from other Cecílias/ Cecís.

I FORGOT about Luena! [name_f]Yara[/name_f] and [name_f]Lívia[/name_f] are good oldies :purple_heart:
Yasmim / Yasmini and [name_m]Enzo[/name_m] were all the rage! [name_m]Enzo[/name_m] had a great comeback in the late 90s/ early 2000s, probably because of Cláudia Raia’s son (it helped with the popularity of [name_m]Lorenzo[/name_m] too). And led to the meme “Enzo e Valentina” :sweat_smile:.

2 Likes

It’s funny how a trend that started with Catholicism (Maria doubles in Brazil) won’t fade out even if people are no longer religious (or practicing it). Is [name_f]Italy[/name_f] the same?

[name_f]Maria[/name_f] [name_f]Sole[/name_f] is cute! But in my region would be mistaken by [name_f]Marisol[/name_f] 100%.

1 Like

Oh this is fascinating! I have a lot of ties to Brazil and have come across just Eduarda and Maria Eduarda quite often. I just figured it was classic since Edward is classic here. I just recently connected that Eduarda and Duda were related :woman_facepalming:t3::woman_facepalming:t3:

Admittedly I’m a big fan of Portuguese names in general and find the Brazilian naming culture fascinating… have you been analyzing other names like this too? I find the -son name trend endlessly fascinating… although maybe it’s now dying down? I met so many little boys with a -son name the last time I was in Brazil. I’m currently infatuated by Ana Vitória and am so curious how Lívia became a thing in Brazil… particularly how it came to fame over Olivia. (And mainly I’m just rambling because I’m so excited to see a Brazilian name themed post on this website haha!)

ETA: what are some of those short but harsher names that you like that work in Portuguese? All I’m thinking of is Inês but I’m not sure that’s really harsh… but obviously my experience isn’t as much as yours…

2 Likes

I’m always up to discussing Brazilian names, @ashthedreamer! It’s awesome that you have some ties to [name_m]Brazil[/name_m] :purple_heart:

The -son/ -on names seem to be losing popularity. But without official data, I can’t say for sure. I do believe the trend is NEVER GOING TO DIE, because football players are a source of inspiration for several soon-to-be parents. In our national football team (some are globally renowned) there are: [name_f]Alisson[/name_f], [name_m]Emerson[/name_m], Joelinton, Ederson, Weverton, Adryelson, Vanderson, [name_m]Ayrton[/name_m] and Richarlison. The trend feeds back on itself :joy:.

[name_f]Ana[/name_f] [name_f]Vitória[/name_f] is a beautiful combo! It feels very on-trend with the vintage but youthful. There is a famous musical duo here called ANAVITÓRIA (one is named [name_f]Ana[/name_f] [name_f]Clara[/name_f] and the other Vitória).

The [name_f]Lívia[/name_f] subject: we do have old data about names (last updated in 2010). [name_f]Lívia[/name_f] has been ascending since the 70s, with a brusque rise in the late 90s. The novela Meu Bem Querer was aired in 1998-1999, maybe that’s why. While [name_f]Olívia[/name_f] has declined since the 40s, with a slight increase at the same time as [name_f]Lívia[/name_f]. These two names were never popular at the same time. I’m honestly surprised by this data - for me, [name_f]Lívia[/name_f] was a classic, but thinking about my personal experiences, indeed, they are all between 55 and 20.

I don’t see [name_f]Inês[/name_f] as a harsh name, maybe because in my accent it has a very melodic sound. [name_m]Just[/name_m] old lady-ish. Some short but harsh names I like are [name_f]Iria[/name_f], [name_f]Yara[/name_f], [name_f]Mara[/name_f], and [name_f]Petra[/name_f]. Lucrécia is the main exception to the short “rule”.

1 Like

Haha, Nameberry needs more Brazilian/Portuguese names :heart:

And oh, yes; I highly doubt -son names will disappear too. I’ve noticed it for the football team but every time I’m in [name_m]Brazil[/name_m] I meet at least one little boy with a -son name… the worst I’ve seen is Cleideneilson hahaha but I rather enjoy the Emerson/Anderson love, and Wanderson I like in a sort of wanderlust sort of way.

And ahh, ok! I sponsor a few kiddos in [name_m]South[/name_m] [name_f]America[/name_f], mostly [name_m]Brazil[/name_m], and my second oldest is named [name_f]Sabrina[/name_f]. She has a baby sister named [name_f]Ana[/name_f] [name_f]Vitória[/name_f] and I’ve been smitten with it ever since [name_f]Sabrina[/name_f] told me about her sister! Much cooler than [name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_f]Victoria[/name_f] in [name_f]English[/name_f] but I don’t know how realistic it is to use in [name_f]America[/name_f]. Such a shame that the average American finds Portuguese names harder to wrap their minds around than Spanish. I also love those -ão names like [name_m]Sebastião[/name_m], [name_m]Jordão[/name_m], Abraão, [name_m]Simão[/name_m], etc., but I don’t know if I could ever use them here.

And that’s fascinating about Livia… my youngest sponsored girl is a [name_f]Lívia[/name_f] (she is six!), and I’ve come across a ton of little Brazilian Lívias under 10, so that’s fascinating that it is dated for you.

And that’s fascinating, [name_f]Inês[/name_f] is not terribly melodic to my ear, it just doesn’t have “sweet” vibes? I think it’s beautiful but in a sort of austere way, like [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] or [name_f]Ingrid[/name_f] or [name_f]Irene[/name_f] in [name_f]English[/name_f]. [name_f]Petra[/name_f], [name_f]Yara[/name_f], [name_f]Mara[/name_f], and [name_f]Iria[/name_f] (maybe because they all end in A?) just feel sweeter and lighter? [name_f]Petra[/name_f] I could see the argument for… I think of her kind of like [name_f]Isobel[/name_f] and [name_f]Dagny[/name_f], a bit crumbly old castle but still sweet.

I like [name_f]Helena[/name_f] and [name_f]Maria[/name_f] separately and combined as in [name_f]Helena[/name_f] [name_f]Maria[/name_f].
I don’t like [name_f]Eduarda[/name_f] at all, it sounds like a very forced feminine version of [name_m]Eduardo[/name_m].