Mariano vs Rosario for a boy

What are your thoughts on these two for a son?

Looking for a name that works in [name_f]English[/name_f], Spanish, Portuguese and Italian as my family has lived in [name_u]Brazil[/name_u], [name_f]Italy[/name_f] and Mexico. That is phonetically spelled, four syllables, meaningful to me, and works with my one syllable last name. We live in Mexico now, but I am American and may live abroad or in the US in the coming years.

[name_f]My[/name_f] first love is [name_u]Rosario[/name_u] nn [name_u]Rio[/name_u]. A strictly masculine name in [name_f]Italy[/name_f] but leans female in most of the Spanish speaking world, but still considered unisex.

[name_m]Mariano[/name_m] is also great and more obviously masculine, but still has a [name_u]Maria[/name_u] in it, so it seems like a masculine sounding middle is important? [name_f]My[/name_f] surname is also a female given name, think [name_u]Lindsay[/name_u] or [name_u]Kelly[/name_u] or [name_f]Rose[/name_f].

Looking at some middles here, and open to using two, and open to other ideas.
[name_m]Maceo[/name_m]
[name_m]Quinton[/name_m]
[name_m]Rafael[/name_m]
[name_u]Onyx[/name_u]
[name_u]Cerulean[/name_u]

3 Likes

Oh what a tough choice! Both are such lovely names.

I quite like the unisex quality of [name_u]Rosario[/name_u] but it does for me feel more immediately religious than [name_m]Mariano[/name_m]. Both obviously have Calothic connections [name_m]Mariano[/name_m] just seems slightly more removed/versatile in that regard.

I think I personally lean toward [name_m]Mariano[/name_m], if only slightly, and really like the sound of [name_m]Mariano[/name_m] [name_m]Quinton[/name_m] and [name_m]Mariano[/name_m] [name_m]Rafael[/name_m]. But [name_u]Rosario[/name_u] [name_m]Quinton[/name_m] is great too!

2 Likes

I also really like both, you canā€™t go wrong with either!
I really love the idea of [name_u]Rosario[/name_u] [name_m]Rafael[/name_m] ā€œRioā€ (I think the alliteration is charmingšŸ„°), and [name_m]Mariano[/name_m] [name_m]Quinton[/name_m]!

1 Like

Both are beautiful names; my pick would be [name_u]Rosario[/name_u]! [name_u]Rio[/name_u] is a perfect nickname for it.

[name_u]Rosario[/name_u] [name_u]Onyx[/name_u] & [name_u]Rosario[/name_u] [name_m]Quinton[/name_m] both flow very well to me!

[name_m]Mariano[/name_m] [name_m]Rafael[/name_m] & [name_m]Mariano[/name_m] [name_m]Quinton[/name_m] are the best fits (for Mariano) out of your choices in my opinion!

other middle ideas

[name_u]Night[/name_u]
[name_m]Ives[/name_m]
[name_u]Sol[/name_u]
[name_m]Titas[/name_m]
[name_m]Dante[/name_m]
[name_m]Tomas[/name_m]
[name_u]Nico[/name_u] / [name_m]Nicolas[/name_m]
[name_u]Val[/name_u] / [name_m]Valentin[/name_m] / etc.
[name_u]Nyx[/name_u]
[name_m]Maximus[/name_m] / [name_m]Maximo[/name_m]
[name_m]Leon[/name_m]
[name_m]Monte[/name_m]
Vido

Either way, two very nice options. Good luck deciding! :black_heart:

3 Likes

[name_u]Rosario[/name_u] [name_m]Quinton[/name_m] would be lovely!!

1 Like

I prefer [name_u]Rosario[/name_u], and I like [name_m]Quinton[/name_m] best as a middle for both names.

Other ideas:

[name_m]Mariano[/name_m] [name_m]Knox[/name_m]
[name_m]Mariano[/name_m] [name_m]Fabian[/name_m]
[name_m]Mariano[/name_m] [name_m]Flint[/name_m]
[name_m]Mariano[/name_m] [name_m]Lucius[/name_m]
[name_m]Mariano[/name_m] [name_u]Sol[/name_u]
[name_m]Mariano[/name_m] [name_u]Bay[/name_u]
[name_m]Mariano[/name_m] [name_u]Jasper[/name_u]
[name_m]Mariano[/name_m] [name_m]Sigmund[/name_m]

[name_u]Rosario[/name_u] Dare
[name_u]Rosario[/name_u] [name_u]Ash[/name_u]
[name_u]Rosario[/name_u] [name_u]Pax[/name_u]
[name_u]Rosario[/name_u] [name_u]Griffin[/name_u]
[name_u]Rosario[/name_u] [name_m]Emrys[/name_m]
[name_u]Rosario[/name_u] [name_m]Abel[/name_m]
[name_u]Rosario[/name_u] [name_m]Atticus[/name_m]
[name_u]Rosario[/name_u] [name_u]Lake[/name_u]

1 Like

[name_m]Mariano[/name_m] [name_m]Rafael[/name_m] :heart_eyes: I do really like [name_u]Rosario[/name_u] too, Iā€™m certain it would be assumed feminine where I am in the UK, canā€™t comment on other countries

2 Likes

[name_u]Rosario[/name_u] with the nickname [name_u]Rio[/name_u] is very charming. I love it!

For a middle name, perhaps one that doesnā€™t have an R in it. (Depending on how much alliteration would bug you, that is.)

[name_u]Rosario[/name_u] [name_m]Maceo[/name_m]
[name_u]Rosario[/name_u] [name_m]Mateo[/name_m]
[name_u]Rosario[/name_u] [name_u]Nicola[/name_u]
[name_u]Rosario[/name_u] [name_u]Luca[/name_u]

1 Like

[name_u]Rosario[/name_u] nn [name_u]Rio[/name_u] is lovely!!
[name_m]Mariano[/name_m] is also really nice!

i live in argentina and i know people with both names, and i gotta say i never knew [name_u]Rosario[/name_u] was unisex, i always thought it was a female name since i know some girls called that (they go by [name_f]Ro[/name_f], [name_f]Rosi[/name_f] or Rochi)
and i also never thought of [name_m]Mariano[/name_m] as a feminine name, i think itā€™s more masculine than [name_u]Rosario[/name_u] actually since iā€™ve met some guys called [name_m]Mariano[/name_m]

some names that work in both english & spanish:
[name_m]Teo[/name_m]
[name_u]Theo[/name_u]
[name_m]Oscar[/name_m]
[name_u]Gabriel[/name_u]
[name_m]Fabian[/name_m]
[name_m]Mateo[/name_m]
[name_m]Rafael[/name_m]
[name_m]Raphael[/name_m]
[name_u]Michael[/name_u]
[name_m]Philip[/name_m]
[name_m]Sebastian[/name_m]
[name_u]William[/name_u]
[name_m]Frederick[/name_m]
[name_u]Benjamin[/name_u]
[name_m]Felix[/name_m]
[name_u]Elias[/name_u]
[name_u]Leo[/name_u] / [name_m]Leon[/name_m] / [name_m]Leonardo[/name_m]
[name_u]Luca[/name_u] or [name_u]Lucca[/name_u] or [name_u]Luka[/name_u]
[name_u]Milo[/name_u]
[name_m]Aurelio[/name_m]
[name_m]Atticus[/name_m]
[name_m]Calixto[/name_m]
[name_u]Cruz[/name_u]
[name_m]Dominic[/name_m]
[name_u]Florian[/name_u]
[name_m]Giovanni[/name_m]
[name_m]Romeo[/name_m]
NicolƔs nn [name_u]Nico[/name_u]

from your list i love:
[name_u]Rosario[/name_u] [name_m]Rafael[/name_m]
[name_u]Rosario[/name_u] [name_u]Onyx[/name_u]
Maraiano [name_u]Onyx[/name_u]

2 Likes

[name_u]Rosario[/name_u] [name_m]Rafael[/name_m] and [name_m]Mariano[/name_m] [name_u]Onyx[/name_u] :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Of the two, I personally would go with [name_m]Mariano[/name_m] as it is more decidedly masculine in all of those languages.

1 Like

Mariano Rafael is gorgeous

1 Like

It is a tough choice! Thanks for your thoughts here on the religious aspects. What Rosario might mean to me vs how it is usually worn and who typically wears it is definitely an important thing to consider. I am not Catholic, so there is that.

Some interesting info I found here, pasted below-

Origin of the name Mariano:

From the Latin Mariānus (of Marius), which is from Marius, an old Roman family name of uncertain derivation. Most believe it has its root in Mars, the name of the Roman mythological god of war, but others think it to be derived from the Latin mas (manly). As a result of similarity of form, the name eventually became associated with Maria, the name of the virgin mother of Jesus, and is often bestowed in her honor.

From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman

1 Like

My favorite is also [name_m]Rosario[/name_m], thank you all for the comments, and alternative middles - it is most helpful to read them and consider the impressions of strangers :grin:

A lot of resources on naming list [name_m]Rosario[/name_m] as a unisex nameā€¦but in real life people feel strongly on one gender or another and seems clear that is totally cultural. So it is used on either boys or girls worldwide, but up close it implies a specific gender. This site analyzes current usage on the internet of a specific name to indicate whether a name is presumed male or female - apparently Rosario is 2.27 times more likely to be a girl.

Which opens up the whole other conversation of so called boysā€™ names on girlsā€¦

Of the two, I prefer Mariano; I donā€™t think of ā€œMariaā€ when I look at the name because the emphasis lies on a different syllable (maREEa vs mareeAHNo). [name_u]Rosario[/name_u] makes me think of rosary before anything else and therefore feels very catholic to me; the nickname [name_u]Rio[/name_u] is sweet and feels very masculine while [name_u]Rosario[/name_u] feels rather feminine.
As for middles, I think [name_m]Mariano[/name_m] [name_m]Rafael[/name_m] [name_m]Quinton[/name_m] would be quite a lovely combo!

1 Like

*girlsā€™ names on boys, that is :sweat_smile:

Two new contenders: [name_m]Marcelo[/name_m] and [name_m]Macario[/name_m].

The latter to replace the lost love [name_u]Rosario[/name_u] - Nn [name_m]Mac[/name_m] or [name_u]Rio[/name_u]. The meaning is perfect for this baby - happy and blessed - and it sounds so elegant and earthy to me. But it is also a surname, and my surname is also a given nameā€¦too confusing?

[name_m]Marcelo[/name_m] replaces [name_m]Mariano[/name_m], which just wasnā€™t doing it for me. I like that it is more familiar and like the meaning less but not a deal breaker. Nn [name_u]Mars[/name_u] or [name_m]Cello[/name_m]. It might be easier to wear?

Tell me your thoughts! I am so in my head with this and making the choice on my own. TY

Possible middles (1-2) are still:
[name_m]Quinton[/name_m]
[name_u]Onyx[/name_u]
[name_m]Rafael[/name_m]

(Last name starts with R, one syllable)

Bumping

Oh 2 more great options! [name_m]Macario[/name_m] sounds like a winner, combining elements of the 2 names you liked - [name_m]Mariano[/name_m] & [name_u]Rosario[/name_u]. [name_m]Mac[/name_m] or [name_u]Rio[/name_u] would be cute. I donā€™t think the fact itā€™s also used as a surname would be too problematic, unless itā€™s a commonly used surname where you are. All in all, you seem more enthusiastic about this one and itā€™s meaning etc, so it would be my pick for you - [name_m]Macario[/name_m] [name_m]Quinton[/name_m] & [name_m]Macario[/name_m] [name_m]Rafael[/name_m] sound good too! However, [name_m]Marcelo[/name_m] is also perfectly nice! As you say, maybe a more familiar choice, plus nn [name_u]Mars[/name_u] is pretty cool. And I actually love the ā€œlittle warriorā€ meaning. Good luck!

1 Like

Thank you! Good point, it is not common either as a given or surname.