Marigold- give it to me straight

I want a [name]Goldie[/name]! But I want her to have a formal name. [name]Marigold[/name] is the only one that I feel fits my style, there really aren’t very many options, anyway. I love the idea of [name]Marigold[/name], the sound and the look. I wish it were a classic, though, i feel like it looks classic, with it’s [name]Mari[/name] beginning. If I’m thinking about it with no connotations or knowledge of names, it feels as classic as [name]Elizabeth[/name]. But, problem is, it’s not. And I don’t want a name that everyone will think is way out there… Which I’m sure they would with [name]Marigold[/name], right? I mean, I’ve never heard of one in real life, most people must thinks it’s too much. But then on the other hand, the marigold is such a down to earth, cheerful flower!

So… Too out there?

I love [name]Marigold[/name], I love [name]Marigold[/name], I don’t believe in the ‘out-there factor’

I also think [name]Golda[/name] is a sweet [name]Goldie[/name] name, but I really love [name]Marigold[/name]!

Thanks [name]Bella[/name]! I do like [name]Golda[/name] but, hmm, I don’t know why, it just isn’t me. I think [name]Marigold[/name] is sooo awesome, but, I just don’t want a name that people will secretly hate. I get enough “how’d you come up with THAT name?” with [name]Dashiell[/name], which to me didn’t even seem like a weird name at all.

[name]Do[/name] you think [name]Dashiell[/name], [name]Elizabeth[/name] and [name]Marigold[/name] sound [name]Ike[/name] sibling? [name]Dash[/name], [name]Betsey[/name] and [name]Goldie[/name]? I like that [name]Marigold[/name] could go by [name]Margo[/name] or [name]Mari[/name]/[name]Mary[/name] is she wanted to.

I think [name]Marigold[/name] is really pretty! It’s definitely different and ultra-feminine, but it has a very pleasant ring to it. I think any flower name has great potential - this one especially! The more I think about it, the more I like it.

I may be the only one, but I think it’s kind of ridiculous, honestly. I’ve never heard of a [name]Marigold[/name] in person or otherwise, but if I did, I would definitely think it was ‘out there’, and not in a good way. I’m not sure I could take one seriously. :frowning: I think it’s one of those flower names that just aren’t ready to be human names yet-- Delphinium, [name]Daffodil[/name], Chrysanthemum, etc. I agree that it’s very nice in a vacuum, but in the real world, no. You could definitely use [name]Marigold[/name] or [name]Goldie[/name] as a kind of family nickname for anything though, especially if you use a [name]Mary[/name] name-- [name]Marianne[/name] nn [name]Marigold[/name] could be cute. I love [name]Aurelia[/name] nn [name]Goldie[/name], but that may be too over the top, too. There’s also [name]Orla[/name]/[name]Orlaith[/name], [name]Aranka[/name], [name]Oriana[/name], and Eurwen (on second thought, that sounds like ‘urine’-- never mind!). :slight_smile:

Yes, [name]Iris[/name], that is my exact fear! When I don’t think about it on a real person, I absolutely love it. And then it gets put onto my short list and I start thinking about it on a real life woman, and I decide it’s too crazy for words. Then I take it off my list, and mourn the loss of [name]Goldie[/name]. That has happened bunches of times! It’s the reason I started liking [name]Margo[/name], but apparently most people [name]IRL[/name] hate that, too. And I try to like [name]Margaret[/name] nn [name]Margo[/name] nn [name]Goldie[/name], but that seems Like quite the stretch and I don’t even Like [name]Margaret[/name]. So then I think maybe [name]Marguerite[/name], which I do actually like, but that seems so far removed from my original [name]Goldie[/name] that it would be an absurd stretch to call [name]Marguerite[/name] [name]Goldie[/name]. Ugh!

[name]Aurelia[/name] is the only other option I like. See, I think it’s really gorgeous, and I do have a lot of Italian blood… But I’m not really Italian at all. And [name]Aurelia[/name] [name]Becker[/name]? Sounds disjointed, no? And calling an [name]Aurelia[/name] [name]Goldie[/name] would seem ridiculous to most people, since only name nerds know it mean gold. Sheesh.

Ahhh! My darn love for [name]Goldie[/name] drives me nuts! I like the idea of [name]Mary[/name], nn [name]Marigold[/name] nn [name]Goldie[/name], haha, but that’s quite a stretch, too. However, I happen to love the name [name]Mary[/name]. And I do like it as a sister to [name]Elizabeth[/name].

It’s a bit out there. But I don’t think it’s TOO out there. Honestly, in my area, [name]Marigold[/name] is probably no more far-fetched than [name]Clementine[/name].

WHOA. I love that sibset! And I love [name]Marigold[/name] and all the options it provides for nns.

I think [name]Marigold[/name] works. If your daughter doesn’t like being a [name]Goldie[/name], then [name]Marigold[/name] gives her [name]Mary[/name] as a backup plan, or even [name]Margo[/name] like you said. I say go for it.

Thanks so much to everyone for your opinions! We are thinking about [name]Mary[/name] as a first name. Maybe a double first name along the lines of [name]Mary[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name], not sure about that. Or something that means gold or has a connection to gold. [name]Mary[/name] [name]Aurelia[/name] nn [name]Mary[/name] [name]Gold[/name] nn [name]Goldie[/name], see? I’m not sold on [name]Aurelia[/name] though, so then I remembered that [name]California[/name] is the [name]Golden[/name] State and that’s where I’m from, so something representing [name]California[/name] could work. Maybe something like [name]Mary[/name] [name]Calla[/name]? I even thought something like [name]Mary[/name] [name]Golden[/name] or [name]Mary[/name] [name]Golda[/name] could possibly be cool. I feel like with [name]Mary[/name] as a first I could go a little crazy in the middle. Thoughts?

I dont think [name]Marigold[/name] is too “out there” but my perception my be scewed. I mentioned liking [name]Magnolia[/name] to my boyfriend once and he looked at me like I was nuts.

I really dont think you would have a super hard time selling [name]Marigold[/name] to people. Afterall it is a flower name, like [name]Lily[/name] and [name]Iris[/name], and it has the nns [name]Mari[/name], [name]Maggie[/name], and [name]Goldie[/name]. Nature names seem to be very popular right now, so I dont see why [name]Marigold[/name] couldnt be one of them.

I love the nn [name]Goldie[/name] by the way, so cute!

love it

Afraid I don’t like [name]Marigold[/name] at all. There are a few around and it sounds ugly.

I see your hesitation in using [name]Marigold[/name] as a given name, but on the right person it could be very sweet. It has a pretty sound and lots of nn options.
I do agree with you that if you name her [name]Mary[/name] you can go crazy with the middle name! And by the way, I love the name [name]Margo[/name]/[name]Margot[/name]! I think that could definately work.
[name]Isolde[/name] is another name that could work.
Or you could do something hilarious like name her [name]Sylvie[/name]/[name]Sylvia[/name]/[name]Silva[/name] and call her [name]Goldie[/name]! Ha!

Hahaha, at first I didn’t get it, but [name]Silva[/name] nn [name]Goldie[/name] WOULD be hilarious! If I liked the name [name]Sylvia[/name] I would consider it!

[name]Do[/name] you think [name]Mary[/name] [name]Golden[/name] _____ would be cute or weird? I think it best represents [name]California[/name], and make [name]Goldie[/name] make sense instead of seeming completely random. We use two middle names, the second being a family surname, so I don’t know yet what that would be. My favorite double name, and one of my favorite names in general, is [name]Mary[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name]. Think it’d be weird to call her [name]Goldie[/name]?

Another idea is [name]Susanna[/name] nn [name]Goldie[/name]. I adore [name]Susanna[/name] as a first name, but hubby and I can’t agree on the nickname. One of the options is [name]Sunny[/name], and the sun is golden, ya know? “Mr. [name]Golden[/name] sun, please shine down on me”. I know this is also a huge stretch, but I fear [name]Mary[/name] is a bit too common of a first name, although I really do love it. I really love [name]Susanna[/name] and I feel like it’s more interesting and gives her so many nickname options if she doesn’t want to go by [name]Goldie[/name]. I’m afraid [name]Goldie[/name] is too much to force on a child, so I’d like if she had other options.

So:
[name]Mary[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name]
[name]Mary[/name] [name]June[/name] (because I really like it and the initials M.J. Because hubby is a big spider man fan). Seems like not a huge stretch to go from [name]Mary[/name] [name]June[/name] to [name]Mary[/name] [name]Gold[/name].
[name]Mary[/name] [name]Golden[/name]
[name]Susanna[/name]

[name]Isolde[/name] is a fantastic suggestions! Unfortunately it’s not my style. Bummer!

Growing up in [name]Canada[/name] in the 80’s, this name automatically reminds me of that Raggedy-[name]Ann[/name] looking puppet thing on the children’s show Polka [name]Dot[/name] Door. Sorry…

I think it’s good that you’re soliciting the range of opinions up front. I think [name]Marigold[/name] is adorable, but yes, in a kind of offbeat, wow-that’s-a-crazy-name kind of way. [name]Aurelia[/name] may be just as unusual but it’s so stately that no one is going to think it’s wacky. I like [name]Mary[/name] [name]Golden[/name] too. And [name]Goldie[/name] is very cute.

I know a lot of the berries love the idea of choosing a formal name like [name]Aurelia[/name] and then morphing it into a very different feeling nickname like [name]Goldie[/name]; I suppose, for name nerds, it’s like getting two names for the price of one and is a more sensible alternative than having a dozen kids just so you get to use all the names you love.

But I have to confess this feels a little disjointed to me, especially when the two names are as different as [name]Aurelia[/name] and [name]Goldie[/name]. It’s almost like giving your child a secret identity; it feels perhaps psychologically sounder to align the “real” name and the name you use more closely. So while my favorite of these names is probably [name]Aurelia[/name], if you’re absolutely planning on calling her [name]Goldie[/name] I think I’d advise you name her [name]Marigold[/name].

Wow! I’m on a wavelength with [name]Pam[/name]!! EXACTLY what I was going to say!! If you love [name]Goldie[/name], go with [name]Marigold[/name]. You don’t exactly like “normal” names, so who cares if this is a smidge more offbeat?

Wow, thanks for commenting [name]Pam[/name]! I definitely agree with you. Something [name]Ike[/name] [name]Aurelia[/name] nn [name]Goldie[/name] is just, as you said, disjointed. It wouldn’t make sense to anyone but me. Besides, I don’t really love [name]Aurelia[/name], anyway.

And [name]Phoebe[/name]'s mom, do you think [name]Marigold[/name] is just a smidge more out there than my other names? To me it seems, [name]WAY[/name] more out there. Well, to me it really just seems beautiful, but I think thats because I’ve been trying to convince myself of that for so long. What i would most like to use is [name]Margo[/name]. To me [name]Goldie[/name] seems like a natural nickname, I could even call her [name]Marigold[/name] as a pet name or something because it’s just a couple extra letters. Plus, I really love the name [name]Margo[/name]. I would rather be named [name]Margo[/name] than [name]Marigold[/name], because i think I might be embarrassed to introduce myself as [name]Marigold[/name], no matter how much I love it “in a vacuum” as someone said. It’s much less of a stretch to get [name]Goldie[/name] from [name]Margo[/name] than [name]Mary[/name], and I love [name]Margo[/name] more than [name]Mary[/name] since it’s got that spunky uncommonness I go for. So… i feel pretty good about [name]Margo[/name] at the moment. Only problem is, will she wish she was [name]Margaret[/name]? If her older sister is [name]Elizabeth[/name], will she feel jipped out of a longer, more classic name?

I mean, it’s just not that weird to me. I don’t know why, because I’m definitely not the most adventurous namer! Maybe because so many flower names are popular, maybe the ‘mari’ beginning makes it seem more familiar than it is. I can’t remember all of your names, but I don’t think [name]Marigold[/name] is much more unusual than Lulette, for example. Anyway, you know that I love [name]Margo[/name], so that’s always going to get my vote! I dither between [name]Margaret[/name] and [name]Margo[/name], too, but I think going with [name]Margaret[/name] dilutes any [name]Margo[/name]>[name]Goldie[/name] connection you have going on.