Marin Lorraine (ma-RIN lo-RAIN) vs Mira Patricia (MEER-a)

See the results of this poll: Which do you prefer?

Respondents: 32 (This poll is closed)

• Marin Lorraine : 15 (47%)
  • Mira Patricia: 17 (53%)

Why not [name_f]Mira[/name_f] [name_f]Lorraine[/name_f] or [name_f]Marin[/name_f] [name_f]Patricia[/name_f]? [name_f]Marin[/name_f] [name_f]Lorraine[/name_f] is a combo made up of two place names. [name_f]Mira[/name_f] [name_f]Patricia[/name_f] is too heavy on the a’s. I love the [name_f]Maren[/name_f] spelling much better so I voted for the [name_f]Mira[/name_f] [name_f]Patricia[/name_f] combo.

I didn’t realize [name_f]Lorraine[/name_f] was a place name; it is a family name for us. I prefer [name_f]Marin[/name_f] with the accent on the second syllable so that’s why the [name_f]Maren[/name_f] spelling isn’t up there. I just don’t like the sound of [name_f]Mira[/name_f] [name_f]Lorraine[/name_f] but will ponder [name_f]Marin[/name_f] [name_f]Patricia[/name_f]. ([name_f]Patricia[/name_f] is a family name from the other side). I appreciate your input :slight_smile:

I [name_f]LOVE[/name_f] [name_f]Marin[/name_f]! And I love [name_f]Mira[/name_f]…two amazing choices. [name_m]Both[/name_m] were on our initial list.

For the sound of the name, I would choose [name_f]Marin[/name_f]…it is lovely. But, in reality, I would probably chose [name_f]Mira[/name_f]. Because of the headache of pronunciation inevitable on your dd of muh-[name_f]RIN[/name_f] vs. mare-in.

Unless…and I am not usually an advocate of untraditional spellings…have you though of Maryn instead of [name_f]Marin[/name_f] to get the pronunciation you are hoping for? It seems the likely spelling to get the muh-[name_f]RIN[/name_f] pronunciation.

I love the sound of [name_f]Marin[/name_f] [name_f]Patricia[/name_f].

Thank you both.

I am not worried about explaining the pronunciation (I have a name that people often need explained to them and still like it) and think people will need the accent explained to them no matter which way it is spelled, but [name_f]Marin[/name_f] is technically the correct way to do it, I believe. I also avoid y unless its absolutely necessary

I would definitely use [name_f]Mira[/name_f]! It is stunning. [name_f]Marin[/name_f] falls a bit flat for me.

[name_f]Marin[/name_f] [name_f]Lorraine[/name_f].

You must go with [name_f]Mira[/name_f]! What an amazingly fun, beautiful name. My [name_f]Mira[/name_f] is 2&1/2 and we obviously adore her name. As my sister said when she heard our choice, “[name_m]Just[/name_m] saying the name makes me smile.” It fits our [name_f]Mira[/name_f] to a T. Good luck on your decision!

I voted for [name_f]Mira[/name_f] because I like it better as a first name.

Honestly though, my favorite is [name_f]Mira[/name_f] [name_f]Lorraine[/name_f]… I don’t care for [name_f]Marin[/name_f] or [name_f]Patricia[/name_f]

[name_f]Mira[/name_f] [name_f]Lorraine[/name_f] would be my pick.

Thanks all for the continued input. It is very evenly divided!

@rmbear – I am glad you are happy with your choice! [name_f]One[/name_f] thing I like about [name_f]Mira[/name_f] is the star connection and the possibility for a galaxy-themed nursery. The “peace” interpretation is also nice since my name has a similar meaning.

But then again, we could do an ocean themed nursery for [name_f]Marin[/name_f] which would also be very neat! I also love that [name_f]Marin[/name_f] ends in a syllable since names ending with -a are quite popular at the moment. I like things to be a bit unexpected, including the accent on the second syllable. [name_f]Marin[/name_f] is one of those names that I like even more spoken out loud than when reading it.