Maris and Willa- initial reaction?

[name]Hi[/name] Berries! I need opinions on the name [name]Maris[/name]. I like it obviously bc it is my username and is actually a NN family and friends call me. [name]Just[/name] wondering if I can get some honest opinions and feedback. What would be your initial reaction if you met a child named [name]Maris[/name]? My LN begins with the letter S, does that matter?

I am having to reconsider my girl name bc a family member recently took it. I can’t seem to fall in love with anything else and am frustrated! Other names I like are [name]Eliza[/name] and [name]Amelie[/name]. My DH is a [name]William[/name] so I recently started considering the name [name]Willa[/name]. Opinions? Would it be confusing or too similar to my DH, he goes by [name]Will[/name]?

I really like [name]Maris[/name], I think it’s unusual and pretty, and a cool alternative to [name]Marina[/name] or [name]Maren[/name]. If I heard the name, I’d probably think just that - unusual but pretty. :slight_smile:

I’ve personally never been a fan of [name]Willa[/name]… it’s sounds very incomplete, especially when I say it aloud, like I should be saying [name]Willow[/name] or something. I also think it it too close to [name]William[/name]/[name]Will[/name] in your case.

[name]Maris[/name] is pretty. I feel it’s a bit dated but if you love it that’s all that matters. It does have a few nns, too, if they get confused with you (since it’s also your nn). I don’t think it matters if she was [name]Maris[/name] Samuels or something… things like that happen all the time and it’s not a bad thing… a lot of Berries aren’t a huge fan of it, though. If you wanted to avoid it, you could probably use something like [name]Marisa[/name] (mah-[name]REE[/name]-sah), [name]Maryse[/name], etc…

[name]Eliza[/name] - very pretty! A few years ago it was relatively unheard of but now it sits at 240. It’s climbing the charts rather quickly, which makes me sad since I’ve loved it for as long as I can remember. I probably wouldn’t use it for that reason, but I’ve been thinking about it as a MN though.

[name]Amelie[/name] - My best friend’s name was [name]Amelie[/name]… she passed away last [name]December[/name] so it holds both great and sad memories for me. I think [name]Amie[/name], [name]Millie[/name], and [name]Lily[/name] are sweet nicknames for it.

[name]Willa[/name] - I actually really love this. It would be a nice way to honor your husband and [name]Willa[/name] is so sweet and unused, I really love it. [name]Willa[/name] S____ sounds great to me.

[name]Willa[/name] would get my vote, but I really love them all! Good luck!

Thanks for the insight! @lexikj- I thought the same thing about [name]Willa[/name] looking incomplete, but it is really growing on me. I love the idea of honoring my DH but see your point that it may be confusing having their names being too similar : )
@ashthedreamer- I love [name]Eliza[/name] and agree its a little sad the name is becoming so popular! It really isn’t too trendy in my state though, so I’m hoping it doesn’t catch on : ) Hearing a positive response to [name]Willa[/name], makes me like it even more! I think it may be a name people either really like or really don’t.

I don’t love [name]Maris[/name], I prefer [name]Marie[/name]… [name]Maris[/name] S____ could clash a little though, but it depends on the surname itself. [name]Willa[/name] is beautiful! I have it on my own list :slight_smile: It’s a little similar to [name]William[/name] though

I love maris! Makes me think of a star. [name]Willa[/name] is pretty, but very close to will, so would you mind having the 2 w such similar names?

[name]Maris[/name] is a stunning, stunning name - extra points that its your maiden name. Definitely use it! NN could always be [name]Mae[/name]/[name]May[/name] as a fall back, thought i don’t think you will run into many problems with a little gal names [name]Maris[/name].

I also adore [name]Willa[/name]. I think the nickname [name]Billie[/name] is cute for her, which would help in diferentiating her from your hubz.

xo [name]Viv[/name]

Thanks everyone! Yall have given me plenty to think about : ) I’m happy to see positive reactions to [name]Willa[/name]! I’m really wanting to love the name.@vivtaliesin- [name]Mae[/name] is such a cute name, and is actually a family name for me. Thanks for that idea!

[name]Maris[/name] is kind of harsh sounding to me, it makes me think of [name]Maris[/name] from [name]Frasier[/name], but I don’t hate it. I’d probably think “what an interesting name.”

I love [name]Willa[/name].