Maris...ruined?

When you hear the name [name]Maris[/name] do you immediately the mean ex-wife of [name]Niles[/name] on the television show [name]Frasier[/name]? That’s what I think of but the name is perfectly lovely and I like the blessed Virgin [name]Mary[/name] connection. [name]Just[/name] wondering others thought/opinions…
Thank you =)

I sort of love this name. I love it mostly because it’s nautical and has a simple and yet intriguing sound to it.

I do think of [name]Niles[/name]’ ex-wife on [name]Frasier[/name]. It’s weird how a name like [name]Phoebe[/name] from Friends can become more neutralized, for example, after it has left production for only a few years. I think it’s because [name]Maris[/name] was also someone who was not seen and only described over the years by the many flaws she had. I probably never would have heard of [name]Maris[/name] if not for the show. I kind of think it is a doable name. A lot of people will wrinkle up their nose about it because an ugly personality can make a name sound ugly to people, but the name, it is beautiful. I love the ocean and ships and things of that nature. If I met someone named [name]Maris[/name], i would not associate the name with the tv character.

Well, I have to admit that I do think of the [name]Frasier[/name] character (that’s what I thought of when I saw the title to your post before I even read it). BUT, that being said, it’s not a very strong connection and I feel like I get over it right away. I think it’s one of those connections that stems from the fact that I don’t know of anyone else named [name]Maris[/name] (and probably most people don’t, which is actually a good thing in terms of uniqueness, by the way), but isn’t really a situation where the character “owns” the name in a way that you can’t get past, if that makes any sense.
So, if you named your daughter [name]Maris[/name], I think it would very much become her own name to everyone that knew her and they would think only of her when they hear it (and not the [name]Frasier[/name] character).
I also think it’s a very pretty name (though I love [name]Miriam[/name] even more - that’s one of my favorites).

Not at all.

I think of [name]Roger[/name] [name]Maris[/name] the baseball player. But then again, I never really watched [name]Frasier[/name]. The only thing I remember from that show was the [name]Jack[/name] [name]Russell[/name] Terrier.

Surprisingly, no. When I saw the title of your post I thought “why?” and didn’t automatically guess what may have potentially ruined the name until I actually read your post. So it wasn’t an obvious association for me.

I love this name and didn’t think of [name]Nile[/name]'s ex-wife until you pointed it out. Phew, I actually thought it could have been something really horrid that ruined this name.

I have a beautiful latin friend named [name]Maria[/name] [name]Isabel[/name] but she has always gone by [name]Maris[/name] pronounced MAAR-ees. Its such a beautiful and unique name.

When I said this, I meant before the baby is born - sometimes people have that kind of reaction you don’t want. I think once she’s born, they would forget about it very quickly, and when she’s off in school or as an adult, I just picture people treating her ordinarily as if her name is her and that’s her name, not the character (if by then, [name]Frasier[/name] is still in reruns and people ever watch it). It’s an easy name to like if she’s right there.

Beforehand, well, I’m just imagining what my mother would say, and projecting it on a lot of other average people who watch tv. It’s not a ruined name at all. It just might trigger associations were you to mention it to people before she is born and named. Unless they don’t watch tv, or they remember [name]Roger[/name] [name]Maris[/name], whom I did not.

It just sounds too beautiful.

When I saw the post’s title, I figured you were referring to [name]Maris[/name] on [name]Frasier[/name]. I do associate the name with her, but in no way does it ruin the name for me. I think it’s beautiful. :slight_smile: I also love [name]Mariska[/name]. :slight_smile:

Good luck!

While I do think of “Fraiser” I don’t think it ruined the name at all. Fraiser stopped production 5 years ago, and while [name]Maris[/name] was talked about on the show she was never a MAIN character. I think if one doesn’t associate [name]Daphne[/name] with Fraiser, you’ll be okay with [name]Maris[/name]. Plus, by the time your daughter is in kindergarten no one will associate her with Fraiser. I think you’re more than safe to use it :slight_smile:

Good [name]Luck[/name]! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I guess I’m too young to know the [name]Frasier[/name] connection, but if the association bother you too much [name]Carys[/name] could work as an alternative.

oh no, justthinkin…you make me feel like a geezer! LOL!

Hahaha, well I do remember when it got cancelled. I was only nine!!

Hahaha, well I do remember when it got cancelled. I was only nine!![/quote]

NINE!? oh boy… I was in college!! LOL

I must admit… that is what comes to my mind. But it will be an obscure reference by the time your [name]Maris[/name] is old enough to care.

I thought ‘why?’ too. I watch [name]Frasier[/name] sometimes but that never occurred to me until you said it. If everyone stopped using names because of characters on TV there would be a very small selection to choose from don’t you think? If you otherwise like it, I say go for it! There was a movie called ‘Hush Hush Sweet [name]Charlotte[/name]’ where [name]Charlotte[/name] was a murderer but I still love my name. I don’t think reference to any ‘made up’ person or thing should ruin a name. [name]Just[/name] my opinion though.