Marjorie?

I was reading the Nameberry description for [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f], and it ended by saying that use of it may have declined with the rise of “margarine.” :grimacing: I would never have come up with this, and immediately declared that I wouldn’t even put “[name_f]Marjorie[/name_f]” on my list.

Buuutt of course, now I can’t get the name out of my head, and I still think it’s super cute. What do you think, does [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f]=margarine??

No… but it is a strong association. [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f] is definitely better than the [name_f]Margery[/name_f] spelling. I think [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f] is usable.

People might not necessarily think of margarine, but I have to admit, I was what came to mind for me.

If you want similar names: [name_f]Marjolaine[/name_f], [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f], [name_f]Margaux[/name_f], Magalie, Marcelline, [name_f]Marlene[/name_f].

What? :scream: :open_mouth:

:persevere:
I would have never made that association! I like [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f]. It’s a good name!!
Unfortunately, the Nameberry’s descriptions aren’t the most assertive. I’m sorry you had to read that about a name you love.

2 Likes

I love [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f]/[name_f]Margaery[/name_f]. It’s been on my list off and on.
I completely feel your pain, with reading the “margarine” association. I dont think I would have made that connection at all, if I didnt read it on nameberry. It slightly ruined a lovely name, imo.

Regardless, I wish [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f]/[name_f]Margaery[/name_f] was used more. Its vintage and sweet, and pairs well with more popular names such as [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], [name_f]Daphne[/name_f], [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f], [name_f]Alice[/name_f], etc.

I also like either spelling variation. I considered the spelling of [name_f]Margery[/name_f]/[name_f]Margaery[/name_f] to connect with my MN, [name_f]Margaret[/name_f].

1 Like

I think [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f] is a beautiful name! So pretty, sweet, and light. I rediscovered it when watching Game of Thrones (that character spells it differently though!), and I fell in love with the way the name sounds.
I would never have thought of margarine! I do hear the similar sounds, now that you’ve pointed it out, but I still don’t think it’s that big of a deal. If you love the name, you should definitely keep it on your list, I know personally I’d love to meet a little [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f]!

1 Like

Sadly, I have to say margarine is the first thing that comes to my mind. :sob:

Tbh I don’t even know anyone who still uses margarine, so it’s not something that ever occured to me.
I really like the name [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f]. Thinking about it in these terms, I’d say the [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f] spelling helps distance it more, as compared to, say, [name_f]Margery[/name_f].

1 Like

I would never in a million years think [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f] = margarine! If anything [name_f]Margery[/name_f] looks more like margarine?

I think [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f] is pretty, light, and feminine! You could call her [name_u]Jorie[/name_u] for short too.

2 Likes

I would never have made that connection! [name_f]My[/name_f] grandmother’s name is [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f], so I always think of her first. :blush: I think it’s time to bring this name back into fashion.

1 Like

I love this name and I think it’s definitely usable.

1 Like

I honestly don’t think I would have made that connection without reading it here! Lots of names sound sort of like a word, but as soon as they’re attached to a person, I feel like they tend to become associated with that person instead!

2 Likes

Yes, absolutely yes. [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f] makes me think of margarine.
I would shorten it to [name_u]Jorie[/name_u].

I did not make that connection and still don’t, maybe cause [name_f]English[/name_f] is not first language? [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f] has nothing to do with margarine for me… I think it’s a beautiful name and I also like [name_f]Margery[/name_f], [name_f]Margaret[/name_f], [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f] and [name_f]Margarita[/name_f] ( probably my fav)

I adore [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f], and the margarine connection has never occurred to me. [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f] is my great-aunt’s name, so I associate it with those beautiful, elegant names of the 1920s (her sisters were [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] and [name_f]Rose[/name_f] [name_f]Mary[/name_f]).

2 Likes

I mean, they do sound similar but i dont think it makes [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f] unusable. [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f] is an established name in its own right and [name_u]Jorie[/name_u] is a cool nickname

1 Like

I don’t LOVE the name [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f], but I adore [name_u]Jorie[/name_u] as a nickname. It’s not an honor name for my family, but if it were I’d definitely consider it and employ that nickname.

I never would have thought of that. Is margarine even still a thing?

2 Likes

Haha, it sounds like there is no consensus. :laughing: For some it’s an immediate association and for others, we’d never see it. :woman_shrugging: But I’ve realized it will never make the “short list” anyway for me personally. Our last name also starts with an “M” and has an “r”, so while I don’t necessarily mind alliteration, adding the repeated "r"s is too much. Thanks for everyone’s perspective!

1 Like

I adore [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f] very much! It was even one of my favs in my adolescence! It is elegant, classic but not dull!
I hadn’t realised the association until I read your words, but it doesn’t lose any charm for me.