Married to a video game nerd! HELP please!

My hubby loves classic video games and keeps pushing the names of characters from classic games on me. Unfortunately he’s mentioned a few that aren’t so bad like [name]Leo[/name] or [name]Locke[/name] for a boy but he keeps nixing names I like. I don’t want to see him gloat by telling him i actually like those names! I can see him bragging to his 3 game-loving brothers about how we named our kids after game characters! I refuse to have a daughter named [name]Zelda[/name] but I’m afraid he’s going to push for that next. At least the other two names aren’t so obvious. Any one have some advice?

[name]Pandora[/name] comes to mind from ([name]Guitar[/name] [name]Hero[/name]), [name]Lara[/name] (Tomb Raider), [name]Amelia[/name] (Tomb Raider), [name]Lilith[/name] (Borderlands), [name]Isabella[/name] (Dead Rising), [name]Celeste[/name] (Mirrors Edge)

Hmm, tough question.

If he has a particular character in mind, that he loves so much and the name you can always put in middle spot. But only if he loves the character.

There are names though that have been used by video characters that don’t hold that stigma because they have plenty of other associations. Would you be comfortable with that though?

For example:

Girls-[name]Alice[/name], [name]Zoe[/name], [name]April[/name], [name]Isabela[/name], [name]Cassandra[/name], [name]Chloe[/name], [name]Elena[/name], [name]Nina[/name], [name]Jade[/name]

Boys-[name]Ash[/name], [name]Cody[/name], [name]Garrett[/name], [name]Jack[/name], [name]Nathan[/name], [name]Paul[/name]

But in the end its both your decisions, one person cannot dictate the naming process. It a joint co operation. He has to realize this.

Girls:
[name]Cassandra[/name] ([name]Alexandra[/name]/Soul series)
[name]Claire[/name] (Redfield/Resident Evil)
[name]Clementine[/name] (The Walking Dead)
[name]Elaine[/name] ([name]Marley[/name]-Threepwood/MonkeyIsland)
[name]Elena[/name] ([name]Fisher[/name]/Uncharted series)
[name]Felicia[/name] (Darkstalkers)
[name]Grace[/name] (Nakimura/[name]Gabriel[/name] [name]Knight[/name])
[name]Hildegard[/name] nn. [name]Hilde[/name] (von Krone/Soul series)
[name]Ivy[/name] ([name]Valentine[/name]/Soul series)
[name]Jill[/name] ([name]Valentine[/name]/Resident Evil)
[name]Joanna[/name] (Dark/Perfect Dark)
[name]Julia[/name] ([name]Chang[/name]/Tekken series)
[name]Mai[/name] (Shiranui/FatalFury & TheKingOfFighters series)
[name]Morrigan[/name] (Aensland/Darkstalkers)
[name]Nina[/name] ([name]Williams[/name]/Tekken series)
[name]Lara[/name] (Croft/Tomb Raider)
[name]Rosalina[/name] ([name]Mario[/name] franchise)
[name]Sarah[/name] ([name]Louise[/name] [name]Kerrigan[/name]/StarCraft)
[name]Zelda[/name] ([name]Princess[/name]/TheLegendOfZelda)

Of all the characters to be named after, [name]Zelda[/name] is the best. The name wasn’t made up and doesn’t feature a half-naked girl with large breasts jiggling around. I would be wary of your potential daughters namesake. Investigate the character to make sure that the name doesn’t cause teasing.

It sounds like he’s being unfair and one-sided. He vetoes every name that you suggest, but all he can come up with are video game names, and even though you admittedly like some of his names to an extent, it’s not fair that he won’t consider any of yours. I’m trying to decipher whether the problem is that you don’t want a video game name at all, or you just want equal leverage in the naming decision. Maybe you can get him to sit down with a baby name book and challenge him to find even just THREE names for each gender that he likes. It might get him to start thinking more open-mindedly about name possibilities. If he really won’t cooperate or offer non-video game names, perhaps you can use one of his video game names as a middle name, and ask him to help you come up with a [name]NON[/name]-game first name.

Many video game names are quite normal and useable. [name]Drake[/name] from Uncharted and [name]Lara[/name] from Tomb Raider come to mind immediately. If you give him a baby name book, he’s going to still come out with video game names like [name]Lulu[/name] (Final [name]Fantasy[/name] X) and [name]Jill[/name] (Resident Evil series). [name]One[/name] of these names that are quite useable is probably the best bet.

As a Final [name]Fantasy[/name] fangirl, someone else obviously has the same name interests as me and also is a name nerd. Over here, you can check out more names that are in the series and their meanings.

Here are some character/monster names):

[name]Sera[/name]
[name]Rosa[/name]
[name]Cara[/name]
Faris
Rydia
[name]Reina[/name]
[name]Sarah[/name]
[name]Hilda[/name]
[name]Kary[/name]
Cid ([name]Male[/name] in the games, but could be used for a girl)
[name]Noah[/name]
[name]Cecil[/name]
[name]Edward[/name]
[name]Stella[/name]
[name]Celes[/name]
[name]Billy[/name]
[name]Cyan[/name] (g)
[name]Daryl[/name] (g)
[name]Duncan[/name]
[name]Locke[/name]
[name]Rachel[/name]
[name]Sabin[/name] (b)
[name]Terra[/name]
[name]Yura[/name]
Aeris
Jenova (means ‘new god’, which is interesting)
[name]Tifa[/name]
Lockheart
[name]Vincent[/name]
[name]Cait[/name]
[name]Reeve[/name]
[name]Lucrecia[/name]
[name]Rufus[/name]
[name]Elena[/name]
[name]Scarlet[/name]
Cetra
[name]Azul[/name]
Nanaki
[name]Reno[/name]
Rosso
[name]Zack[/name]
[name]Laguna[/name]
[name]Rinoa[/name]
[name]Beatrix[/name]
Amarant
[name]Cinna[/name]
Eiko (prn Ay-ko)
[name]Freya[/name]
[name]Lani[/name]
[name]Leo[/name]
[name]Cornelia[/name]
Mikoto
Auron (prn Or-in)
[name]Calli[/name]
Belgemine
[name]Lulu[/name] (This can be a great way to subtly connect to video games by using this as a nickname)
[name]Tidus[/name]
[name]Yuna[/name]
[name]Alexander[/name]
[name]Angelo[/name]
Anima
[name]Phoebe[/name]
Ashura
[name]Eden[/name]
Golem
[name]Indra[/name]
Ixion
Kirin
[name]Lamia[/name]
[name]Odin[/name]
[name]Phoenix[/name]
[name]Raiden[/name]/Raijin (depends on translation)
[name]Shiva[/name]
[name]Seraphim[/name]
Valefor

And this is just for one series. Look harder and you can find a great name that both you and your husband likes.

There are plenty of usable video-game names that aren’t too obvious. I’m not sure what kinds of games he likes, but what about. . .
[name]Gordon[/name] (Half-Life)
[name]Clementine[/name] or [name]Lee[/name] (Walking Dead)
Chell (Portal)
[name]Shepard[/name] (Mass Effect) (this is a little more out there and obvious)
[name]Desmond[/name] (Assassin’s [name]Creed[/name])
[name]Zoey[/name], [name]Bill[/name], [name]Louis[/name], [name]Francis[/name], [name]Rochelle[/name], [name]Ellis[/name], [name]Nick[/name] (Left 4 Dead games)

I’ll add more as I think of them

[name_m]Kerrigan[/name_m] is from some star craft or something, she’s the queen.

In addition to him being a bit unfair by insisting on a video-game inspired name and immediately vetoing any of your suggestions, it sounds like perhaps you’re being a bit unfair by not admitting that you like a few of his suggestions…only because you don’t want him to gloat about it.

There are plenty of very wearable video game names out there, and if there are some that you even like… what’s wrong with using one? Only because it’s from a video game? Unless specifically told, nobody would immediately think that [name_m]Leo[/name_m] or Loche were chosen from games.

If you hated the names themselves it would be a bit different. But if he’s insisting so strongly, it’s probably because it’s important to him to use a name that reflects his hobby/passion. Maybe instead of ‘gloating’, he’ll be ‘beaming’ and proud. Have you suggested using these as middle options?

Either way, I hope you’re able to figure it out and agree on a name for your child!

Good luck to you!

• [name_f]Aggie[/name_f]-

Ditto what aggielou just said. Maybe I’m misinterpreting but your post sounds a bit like you would be unhappy if he loves your name choice. And [name_m]Locke[/name_m] is a very neat name, but I think of [name_m]John[/name_m] [name_m]Locke[/name_m] and know nothing about it being from a videogame. DH and I came to [name_f]Mira[/name_f] because DH heard Namira on Skyrim and thought it was a very cool sounding name, then after thinking about it we thought that just [name_f]Mira[/name_f] is better, and very nice for other reasons as well.

My husband loves video games too. In my experience I find gamer guys usually take interest in certain TV shows or movies, or fantasy/sci-fi books as well, so maybe If you really don’t like “game names” you can find a few names you like that way & steer him in one of those directions? Its tricky when what he’s leaning toward are not your interests.

My husband loves Zivilyn, as in Zivilyn Bane from the game Skies of [name_f]Arcadia[/name_f].
He loves the really out there fantasy type names so I know what its like to have to work around someone’s extreme tastes.

I just wanted to point out that this post is from February… I doubt the user is even still around.

Ask if there’s any non-game names he likes. Then you should find some game names that you like.

[name_u]Ruby[/name_u], [name_f]Zoe[/name_f] ([name_f]Zoey[/name_f]), [name_f]Kate[/name_f], [name_f]Jasmine[/name_f], [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] and [name_f]Celeste[/name_f] are all from video games. So are [name_m]Dante[/name_m], [name_m]Leon[/name_m], [name_u]Ash[/name_u] and [name_m]Jack[/name_m].

There are a lot of really cool names that come from video games! [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] and [name_u]Ash[/name_u] are my favorites.

What about a video game name as the middle? That’s an easy compromise that he should agree with.

I sympathize with you. My [name_m]BIL[/name_m] only wants obvious video game names for his future children- Tron and [name_f]Zelda[/name_f]- and will not consider anything that isn’t derived from a famous video game. He thinks it’s cool, instead of thinking about the child that’ll have this name for the rest of their life, and how he can brag to all of his friends.

Oh i have a love for just ONE game name lol : ) x