Martha vs. Marigold

***Just creating another hypothetical family for fun lol

I’ve loved [name_f]Martha[/name_f] since forever (when I’m was little, my brother and I loved [name_f]Martha[/name_f] Speaks) but I’m worried it’ll sound frumpy. A lot of my family (including me) were also baptized at a church called St. Martha’s. On the other hand, I’m not thrilled that [name_f]Martha[/name_f] can mean “mistress.” I interpret it as “lady” or like mistress of a household, but I’m worried not everyone will (probably just overthinking it lmao.)

[name_f]Marigold[/name_f] is a more recent one and differently more out there than my usual tastes. But I keep getting hung up on her. It just looks so gorgeous and it’s not too common (I don’t mind common names, I just like to avoid them if I can.) That said, I’m worried it’s too “out there” or won’t age well. I’m also not in love with the nickname ‘Goldie’ but I don’t hate it. I’m also worried it’s trendy and will feel dated in a decade or two.

Honestly my biggest concern is that any future children of mine will grow up to hate their name.

Hypothetically siblings are:

• [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f]
  • [name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_f]Caroline[/name_f]
  • [name_u]Florence[/name_u] [name_f]Helena[/name_f] (possibly as a twin to Martha/Marigold??)

I’m enamored with the combo of [name_f]Martha[/name_f] [name_f]Sophia[/name_f], but I’m open to suggestions. Don’t really have any combos with [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] atm

Other girls names I like:

-Mary/Maria

-Elizabeth*

-Laura

-Josephine*

-Amy

-Abigail

-Cecilia

-Beatrix/Beatrice

-Diana/Diantha

-Celeste

-Viola

-Ophelia

-Winifred

-Margaret

-Pearl

-Wendy

-Vera (Veer-uh)

-Lillian

*can’t use for various reasons

I’m definitely leaning towards [name_f]Martha[/name_f], but I’m not sure. Maria’s also a contender, but Marigold’s caught my attention and [name_f]Martha[/name_f] owns my heart :upside_down_face:

Thoughts? Suggestions? Would you absolutely despise being named [name_f]Martha[/name_f]?

1 Like

This is so tricky. Let me start by being transparent: I have never liked the name [name_f]Martha[/name_f] at all. I don’t have any positive associations. I don’t like the sound. That’s my personal opinion.

AND YET.

I would be very excited to meet a little girl named [name_f]Martha[/name_f]. I would love that someone resurrected a name with such rich history and meaning. I would love to know the “why” of it: Family honor? A significant place? Biblical homage? [name_m]Just[/name_m] love it?

And I would have a great deal of respect for it. I have a lot of names like that–I really respect them and applaud the parents using them, especially when they’re not trendy, but wouldn’t use them myself. [name_f]My[/name_f] son’s middle name is probably like that for a lot of people. They don’t have any good associations with it personally and it doesn’t sound nice to their ears, but our beloved family honor makes it make sense, and has made us love it.

It has a lot of nicknames associated with it, which could personalize the name for her if she does wish for a different identity.

All that being said, most of your list mirrors names on mine, and I think you have so many options that are glorious and perhaps less polarizing, if that’s what you end up wanting. I think [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] and [name_u]Maria[/name_u] are stellar, and I adore most of the names you said you liked.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback!

I love frumpy, old people names, but the idea of saddling an actual person with them is another story. [name_m]Even[/name_m] tho I’m probably 15+ years away from children, I try to keep it in mind so I don’t get too attached to anything (looking at you [name_m]Alfred[/name_m], Myrtle.)

There was a [name_u]Walter[/name_u] in my class a while ago and to this day I still wonder where his name came from

1 Like

But see, I love [name_u]Walter[/name_u]! That doesn’t feel frumpy to me. It feels cool. :person_shrugging:

It takes all kinds, doesn’t it? :wink:

1 Like

Oh I’m a fan of [name_u]Walter[/name_u] too. Most people I ask seem to think it’s an “old man’s name” though, so that’s kind of become my view on it lol

1 Like

I gotcha.

1 Like

Firstly you have a wonderful list of fabulous names I’m swooning :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I absolutely love [name_f]Martha[/name_f] she’s such a cool vintage name that has clunky chic vibe which I really like. I honestly think [name_f]Martha[/name_f] is a wonderful name and I wouldn’t mind being called [name_f]Martha[/name_f] at all. I think I would actually like being called [name_f]Martha[/name_f]! I picture this cool girl with long curly hair, hipster geek glasses and freckles with a large collection of books. Personally I love this aesthetic. I also really like the personal connection too with your brother & you loving [name_f]Martha[/name_f] Speaks and with your family being baptised at St. Martha’s I feel like these connection outweigh the slightly awkward meaning. Still I would role with the idea of the name meaning ‘lady’ that’s a nice meaning! Also what you could do to take away some of the clunkiness is choose a more modern middle name like [name_f]Martha[/name_f] [name_u]Willow[/name_u] that would be fun. [name_u]Or[/name_u] maybe [name_f]Martha[/name_f] [name_f]Juno[/name_f] or [name_f]Martha[/name_f] [name_u]Billie[/name_u]?

[name_f]Marigold[/name_f] is gorgeous! I think you could go with [name_f]Mari[/name_f] nickname wise if [name_f]Goldie[/name_f] isn’t your bag she’s vibrant but I think your heart belongs with [name_f]Martha[/name_f] so I would go with [name_f]Martha[/name_f]!

1 Like

Aaah thank you so much!! It makes me irrationally excited to hear you like my name list

And I love the picture you painted for [name_f]Martha[/name_f]. [name_f]My[/name_f] hair’s actually curly, so who knows. Maybe I will have a daughter named [name_f]Martha[/name_f] with curly hair someday haha

I’ve always kinda loved [name_u]Willow[/name_u], but never enough to really think about using it one day. But I really like the combo [name_f]Martha[/name_f] [name_u]Willow[/name_u]! Onto my list it goes

1 Like

[name_m]Ah[/name_m] your more than welcome you have a lovely list honestly but I know what you mean I love it when people love my names :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

[name_m]Ah[/name_m] she may end up with the curly gene then! That would be so sweet :two_hearts: Yay I’m glad you love [name_f]Martha[/name_f] [name_u]Willow[/name_u] I think she’s gorgeous :herb:

1 Like

I’m leaning toward [name_f]Martha[/name_f] for sure!

1 Like

With [name_f]Louisa[/name_f], [name_f]Anna[/name_f], and [name_u]Florence[/name_u] all feeling quite sophisticated and classic, I think [name_f]Martha[/name_f] fits in the best. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I love the name [name_f]Martha[/name_f]! I do like [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] too, but prefer [name_f]Martha[/name_f].

To me, [name_f]Martha[/name_f] sounds like the name you truly love. It’s been on your list for a very long time and it also matches really well with your hypothetical sibling names.

As for your concerns about the name, I don’t think the meaning will cause any issues. “Lady” seems to be the more commonly listed meaning anyway, and as someone whose name has an objectively unfortunate meaning, it’s never made me like my name any less. And as for frumpiness, I don’t think [name_f]Martha[/name_f] is too frumpy! It doesn’t have the same ‘bulkiness’ as some other older names, and nicknames like [name_f]Martie[/name_f] or [name_f]Mimi[/name_f] could freshen it up if your future [name_f]Martha[/name_f] really doesn’t think it fits her. I would go with [name_f]Martha[/name_f]!

1 Like

Thanks for all the replies. Definitely feeling a lot more confident about [name_f]Martha[/name_f] :grin:

I’ve met a little [name_f]Martha[/name_f] and it suited her well!! I think it goes best with your set!!

1 Like

[name_m]Hi[/name_m], welcome to nameberry! I love your list so much! For me personally, I prefer [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] to [name_f]Martha[/name_f], but knowing the significance [name_f]Martha[/name_f] has to you I think it’s perfect! And I don’t think it’s too old or frumpy at all (though I may be biased because I also love old names). So many older names are being revived lately, I don’t think [name_f]Martha[/name_f] would feel out of place among them!

I really like [name_f]Martha[/name_f] [name_f]Sophia[/name_f], I think it brightens up [name_f]Martha[/name_f] and they flow together really nicely :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I also wonder if you might like [name_u]Marian[/name_u]? It seems like it would fit in with the rest of your list. I still think [name_f]Martha[/name_f] is best for you though!

1 Like

I like [name_f]Martha[/name_f] far better than [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] but that’s entirely because I stumble over hard G’s when I speak. They’re both lovely enough names. I think old lady names flip as soon as you meet a younger girl with the name perception wise. But also all ladies eventually get old and frumpy and old woman are also like the freaking best and the worst…so are little girls so it works.

1 Like

Oooh I’ve never heard [name_u]Marian[/name_u] before. How are you pronouncing it? MAR-ian (rhyming with car) or MARE-ian?

1 Like

MARE-ian!

1 Like

I really like [name_f]Marigold[/name_f]. It’s a such a bright, shiny name. [name_f]Martha[/name_f] isn’t my personal name but I don’t think it’s a bad choice by any means. It’s in the sweet spot of being familiar to everyone but not overly common or popular. It seems like it’s a good choice for you and has significance for your family. (I also believe the intended meaning is “lady” rather than mistress in any other sense!)

1 Like